U2.com 2021 Subscription Gift Offer : U2 Live at the Apollo : Discussion Thread

• Subscriber
On 2/24/2021 at 4:42 AM, sukhjitkamal said:

They should make previous years gifts available for standalone purchase. I'm sure there's a warehouse somewhere with old stock laying about and I would love to purchase the older gifts that I missed out on - such as U22 and From The Ground Up.

If that was the case, it would negate the exclusivity of the gifts.  'Why subscribe when I can just buy it anyhow?'   'They're not even touring.'   I can already hear the complaints..   If they just sold the merchandise, it wouldn't be a subscriber's gift. 

Jumping way down to emphasize this is NOT aimed at ANYONE:   Isn't this thread about the 2021 Subscriber's Gift?  I come in here to read about that.  Many of the comments have nothing to do with this year's gift.  (I'm notorious for jumping off topic.  I claim no innocence.)  Perhaps starting another thread, expressing all the other stuff could be started by someone?   I get excited about these gifts, even if a particular year's gift is not my favorite.  It's a bummer to weed through all the 'it should be this or that' comments.  Perhaps voices would be better heard if someone started a separate thread concerning future gifts.  I ask this every year. 

I'm hoping this one is worded so nobody takes offense.  It's just my opinion.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

'U2: Live At The Apollo' This double CD set, bookending a beautiful photo booklet, is now in production. We'll be emailing our 2021 subscribers with news on the first tracks available

I think that was one if you look at the right side of the stage, directly under the lamp you can see side stage. (Photo credit to someone else, not mine)   Here it is in one of my photos, righ

Physical formats create the pleasure of listening music at home, it´s my opinion. Still purchasing vinyls, CDs and DVDs.

Posted Images

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Manohlive said:

If that was the case, it would negate the exclusivity of the gifts.  'Why subscribe when I can just buy it anyhow?'   'They're not even touring.'   I can already hear the complaints..   If they just sold the merchandise, it wouldn't be a subscriber's gift. 

Jumping way down to emphasize this is NOT aimed at ANYONE:   Isn't this thread about the 2021 Subscriber's Gift?  I come in here to read about that.  Many of the comments have nothing to do with this year's gift.  (I'm notorious for jumping off topic.  I claim no innocence.)  Perhaps starting another thread, expressing all the other stuff could be started by someone?   I get excited about these gifts, even if a particular year's gift is not my favorite.  It's a bummer to weed through all the 'it should be this or that' comments.  Perhaps voices would be better heard if someone started a separate thread concerning future gifts.  I ask this every year. 

I'm hoping this one is worded so nobody takes offense.  It's just my opinion.

Can I just say....... Where’s my elephant?

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
17 hours ago, sukhjitkamal said:

What if the "it should be this or that" comments relate to the 2021 subscribers gift?

You paid to subscribe.  You should write whatever you wish.  We're not always going to agree. It doesn't have to be a bad thing. My approach is that the gift was announced and is what it is, no matter the year or the gift.  I have always thought a future gifts thread could be a good thing.  All our wishes would be in one place.  I wanted this gift to be a DVD of an American EI show. Even though I did not think it was going to happen, I still hoped. Creating a new thread is not something I am particularly good at doing. I suggest it and hope someone will.

As much as I wish you could get From The Ground Up,  If they put it up for sale, people who subscribed back then might well feel slighted.  I wish I had two copies. I'd gladly send you one.  I'd be miffed if they started selling past gifts, people bought copies and scalped them online.  Some idiot is currently selling From The Ground Up for $900 on EBay. I've seen others doing the same. U2 releases something and there's always a gathering of profiteering vultures.  It's disheartening.

I wish I had separated my comment about selling past gifts from my other comment when I quoted you. I did not think of how not doing so might single you out. I am truly sorry. I've read almost everything you've posted since you joined.I remember how excited you were for TJT presale, when you got tickets, etc.  I enjoy your posts, even if I have a different perspective.

I see new comments for this thread, think there is new news about the current year's gift and get bummed when it's not.  I love reading the excitement as the gifts start to  ship, people get them and start posting pics of the year's gift, etc.  It's a very exciting time in the Zoo.

• Thanks 1
  • Subscriber

Thanks for your words @Manohlive and there is no need to apologise. I did not feel singled out by your comment, I know you were speaking more generally and I simply replied to it. I hope you know that every time I reply to you its not with anger or sarcasm, it's me just having a normal conversation with a fellow fan. 

I do understand your point about how people (such as me) posting in this gift thread when it's not actually news about the gift can be frustrating, and a future gifts thread idea sounds great. I kinda made something similar before here. Maybe the two ideas could merge? I'd actually be happy to make a separate "Future Subscribers specials and Fan Club gifts idea" thread.

Your idea of a DVD gift of an American EI show sounds great and I would love that. Unfortunately though I can't see that happening as the band weren't happy with the show that was filmed in Washington. We know though that U2 have recorded all their shows starting from ZOO TV, so there's absolutely nothing stopping them from releasing pro shot footage of American Soul (even include GOOYOW as the two songs are linked and segue) and Red Flag Day to subscribers as a subscribers special as these were Experience songs that were performed on EI but weren't on the official DVD release. They could even include Love Is All We Have Left because the NA intro was different to the European intro. 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

Does March still counts as early 2021? ... seems like Apollo setlist had more than 100+ songs and they are individually curating the songs... oh wait they had it already mastered for SirusFM... why oh why it always takes so long to announce such simple things... don't you thing one track download would be about right by now?! given there is close to zero exclusive content online ...

• Subscriber

Ok my current membership is still active until July 2021, if I renew before July, will the 2021 gift be sent as soon as available or sometime after my new subscription starts in July?

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, RobAneurysm said:

Ok my current membership is still active until July 2021, if I renew before July, will the 2021 gift be sent as soon as available or sometime after my new subscription starts in July?

I think it does.  I renewed early last year and got my gift earlier because of it.

• Like 1