U2.com 2021 Subscription Gift Offer : U2 Live at the Apollo : Discussion Thread

bigwave

• Subscriber

2 hours ago, Dean Allison said:

I think at this stage there has to at least be a change to the terminology

I've thought this for a few years now.  I'm sorry anyone has to pay customs for this.  I get confused because some people approach this as a gift. Others approach it as something to which they have a right, because they paid for it, in which case it is not a gift.  It is a purchase. I don't know laws but deciding to declare something as a gift or diminishing the value of a package to avoid customs fees for fans sounds like a good way to get into a legal (and international) nightmare.   

Edited by Manohlive

• Subscriber
49 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I've thought this for a few years now.  I'm sorry anyone has to pay customs for this.  I get confused because some people approach this as a gift. Others approach it as something to which they have a right, because they paid for it, in which case it is not a gift.  It is a purchase. I don't know laws but deciding to declare something as a gift or diminishing the value of a package to avoid customs fees for fans sounds like a good way to get into a legal (and international) nightmare.   

If it’s being described as a gift when we subscribe which it has been then it should be declared as a gift for customs purposes too. If that would bring up a legal issue then  it would 100% have to be described as a purchase which is how I’ve always seen it anyway tbh, the term gift is to make it sound like goodwill of sorts which to me it isn’t in fact in a non tour year it’s the only reason I subscribe but they can’t have it both ways with the publicity of calling it a ‘gift’ whilst not declaring it as such with customs. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

It would be interesting to see how the team at U2.com define it.

For me it is not a purchase. It cannot be bought directly from U2.com.

I didn't purchase the CD but a years membership with U2.com but by doing so they agreed to send me the CD.

• Like 1

• Subscriber

I've been watching these threads for years.  The U2.com team is very good at addressing challenges which arise during a current year's gift.  They are quite good at addressing issues and concerns of fans for future gifts. Delivery this year seems to be much more efficent than previous years. I've seen where packages are getting to the UK within eight days of shipping. That's a huge change. There's been a lot of positive adjustments over the years with these gifts. Producing something to please as many fans as possible, doing so within budget and getting the packages sent in a timely manner must be just shy of a sisyphean task.  No doubt producing these gifts has gotten much more expensive over the years yet our subscription price has stayed the same.  I'm looking at postives here; not addressing anyone's comments. 

Again, I'm sorry people are having to pay extra fees. 

• thumbs up 2
  • Haha 1

• Subscriber

Hi all

dont Know if anyone can help me. Am an Irish subscriber. Has anyone from Ireland received their 2021 gift yet?

If you have how long ago did you receive it and how was it delivered (an post or courier company) and were there customs charges added? 

Mine hasn’t arrived yet.

received a text saying a delivery date is tomorrow with link but am afraid to click on it as we have been inundated with scam emails and text this year here.

if anyone can help post me a reply.

thanks a milion

Mary

• Community Moderator
35 minutes ago, madmary said:

Hi all

dont Know if anyone can help me. Am an Irish subscriber. Has anyone from Ireland received their 2021 gift yet?

If you have how long ago did you receive it and how was it delivered (an post or courier company) and were there customs charges added? 

Mine hasn’t arrived yet.

received a text saying a delivery date is tomorrow with link but am afraid to click on it as we have been inundated with scam emails and text this year here.

if anyone can help post me a reply.

thanks a milion

Mary

If it's OK with you, you can send to the moderation team via PM the link to see if it's legit...

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, Max Tsukino said:

If it's OK with you, you can send to the moderation team via PM the link to see if it's legit...

Hi Max,

Thanks for reply how do i send to the mod team as a test message on my phone not sure how to do this also.

If you like can you pass it on to them for me or pass on the email address to me and I will do it.  Message is just below.

message says delivery date 03/09 check out your options [LINK REMOVED]

Name sounds dodgy but at this stage here in Ireland anyway we are looking at all links as if they are dodgy I am afraid.

Hope this help and I can send it on to mod team if you send on email address.

Thanks again.  Mary

• Community Moderator
5 minutes ago, madmary said:

Hi Max,

Thanks for reply how do i send to the mod team as a test message on my phone not sure how to do this also.

If you like can you pass it on to them for me or pass on the email address to me and I will do it.  Message is just below.

message says delivery date 03/09 check out your options [LINK REMOVED]

Name sounds dodgy but at this stage here in Ireland anyway we are looking at all links as if they are dodgy I am afraid.

Hope this help and I can send it on to mod team if you send on email address.

Thanks again.  Mary

Thanks...

You are right, it's a dodgy link - better to not click it...

the easiest way to send us a PM would be to go to the STAFF page - https://zootopia.u2.com/staff/ - From there you can choose the SEND MESSAGE option from one of the Moderation team profiles (those being Mich40, Bigwave or max tsukino) and send the message... In this case, it would be helpful if you send to us a screenshot of the message you received, ideally with the number from where you got it (but blank or hide your personal information), so we can elevate it to the u2comteam...

btw and as a security measure, I removed the link from your original message...

• Subscriber

Not a gift. Not legally. You PAY for membership. You receive in exchanged some benefits, including a double cd not available anywhere else. U2.com may choose to describe it as a “gift” for promotional purposes, but there is a VERY CLEAR exchange of money for material goods. In fact, U2.com is likely undervaluing the item (2 cd and a book for $10? Really). If you get a membership including last year’s “gift”, you are charged an extra $35 (no other benefit). So, a judge could easily view a $35 value on the item. If my employer didn’t provide me with a salary, and I did 40 hours of “volunteer work” every week “for free”, then he “gifted” me $1000 every 2 weeks, do you think that would fly with the IRS? It isn’t a gift. Sounds like some EU countries got new import fees. Talk to your government ministers about it. It sounds like there needs to be a declared value on all imports even if it is a “gift” (based on other replies I have read…might be wrong on this point). So, if you become a member of the fan club as a non-paying member next year…and U2 sends you something for free…which NOTHING EXPECTED IN RETURN, then that’s a gift.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Since I often have to deal with post and customs in my job, here is an explanation:

There is an EU law according to which all consignments of goods that are imported into the EU from outside the EU have to pay customs duty and taxes. This regulation has been in force since 2021. There was a transitional period until 30 June 2021. From 1 July, this regulation must be implemented in every EU country.

There is still an exemption for private gift consignments. Here there is still an allowance. But: Gift shipments are only possible between private individuals. As soon as a legal person (company) sends goods, these may not be sent as a gift (even if it is a member gift, as in our case). Our membership “gift” may therefore not be sent as a gift, but must be sent as a consignment of goods with a CN22 form and a (realistic) declaration of value. By the way, this gift-regulation was already in place before 2021. U2.com's practice of sending items as gifts with a value of 0.00 was never permitted, but was often accepted by the local customs (but in some cases people had to pay customs).

How much you have to pay for the CD depends on the value, the customs duty and the import sales tax of your country. Basically, the amount is not too high for a goods value of 10 USD (5+5). What does get expensive, however, is that the postal companies charge a service fee for presentation to customs. In Germany, for example, this is € 6, in Belgium € 15, which is then added on.

If you live in the EU and didn't have to pay anything, you were lucky that your shipment slipped through without customs clearance. But that could be different next year ...

By the way, you will face the same problem in the future if you order things from the U2 fanshop and they are sent from the US or UK. The UK is no longer in the EU and these shipments will now have to pay customs duty too!

The problem can really only be solved in one way: Namely, that a band from Ireland (EU) also sends its items from the EU. At least the shipments that are also sent to the EU. It should not be a problem to send items from a location in the EU (Ireland, Netherlands ...). If U2 is so committed to the EU on the last tour, but then, when it comes to business, the EU is ignored, one has to be very critical.

A complaint to the customer service will not bring you a solution for this year. You have to pay the fees or refuse & return the shipment. However, I would recommend anyone who has had to pay to contact the customer service anyway. This way (or through social media) you can put pressure on them to reconsider their shipping. If they send items destined for Europe from Europe, the postage will also be cheaper. However, this requires a shipping address in the EU. It would not be permissible to simply bring items with a US sender to Europe and then send them from there. In principle, items must be sent from the country that is also indicated as the sender's address.

Edited by Zargor
  • Like 2
  • thumbs up 2
  • Thanks 1