U2.com 2021 Subscription Gift Offer : U2 Live at the Apollo : Discussion Thread

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

'U2: Live At The Apollo' This double CD set, bookending a beautiful photo booklet, is now in production. We'll be emailing our 2021 subscribers with news on the first tracks available

I think that was one if you look at the right side of the stage, directly under the lamp you can see side stage. (Photo credit to someone else, not mine)   Here it is in one of my photos, righ

Physical formats create the pleasure of listening music at home, it´s my opinion. Still purchasing vinyls, CDs and DVDs.

Posted Images

• Subscriber

Oh, that's a stunning gift for 2021 - that was the band at their purest & best in the modern day world of technology. To anyone that was there - you have a lifetime memory to cherish.

Happy New Year.

• Like 6
  • Subscriber

LOVE this!  Can we bring back the vinyl versions of these gifts though? 

DVDs/CDs are insignificant forms of media nowadays, but vinyl's legacy lives on.  Listening to Live from Boston on vinyl right now - it's glorious!

Edited by mgiv78
  • Subscriber
49 minutes ago, mgiv78 said:

DVDs/CDs are insignificant forms of media nowadays, but vinyl's legacy lives on.  Listening to Live from Boston on vinyl right now - it's glorious!

Well, there are plenty of people, both here and in general, who still enjoy CDs and DVDs. Your personally finding them “insignificant” doesn’t make such a belief an objective fact. (Also, I don’t quite understand why you are using your love of vinyl to impugn DVDs, since vinyl doesn’t have a visual component.)

However, I have often wondered why audio gifts aren’t offered in multiple physical formats. If a choice were offered in advance (for example, at the time of one’s membership renewal) for what format one prefers if a gift in any given year is an audio one, more subscribers’ wishes could be satisfied. You also wouldn’t get mass mailings of CDs to those who would prefer vinyl, or of vinyl to those who prefer CDs (the latter especially being a large (and avoidable) waste of resources, both in cost of materials and in postage - it’s much more expensive to mail vinyl than CDs, and doubly a waste for those who have no interest in vinyl).

On the whole, the site has been good in alternating formats from year to year. I still hope for a day that one’s preferences for formats will be satisfied in a more targeted way...maybe someday... 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 3
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, mgiv78 said:

I’ve started a u2 vinyl collection and as much as I like vinyl now I still like having a cd as a physical back up to a download. If my MacBook was to break somehow and I only had vinyl as back up that’s me lost the tracks whereas with a cd I can just burn that onto iTunes. But would I complain at a vinyl/download set no just prefer cd. Dvd definitely can’t be replaced by vinyl they’re not comparable formats. Blu Ray and 4K is better but I thought the Berlin dvd was good picture quality compared to there old DVD’s. More people own a cd and DVD player than a vinyl and blu Ray player so that has to be considered also. 

• Like 3
  • Subscriber
3 minutes ago, mgiv78 said:

@Dean Allison An option to choose your physical media along with a digital download would be clutch!

Well they gave us 4 vinyl with the JTsingles collection so I guess from a financial point of view a double vinyl as well as cd and download wouldn’t cost any more to produce. Greedy of me perhaps but that really would be the very best way to do it. Even a triple vinyl for some of the longer live sets with double cd and download would probably be cheaper than 4 vinyl. But just to clarify I’m happy with cd and download if they gave us the options I’d end up asking my better half to get a subscription so I could have the gift on vinyl and cd so it would cost me more. 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, mgiv78 said:

Point noted @dmway

Honestly, you put into words my general feelings on this subject so thank you!

You’re welcome - thank you for saying so.

I have to say, including this just-announced gift, this is the 3rd gift in a row that I thought was really good, i.e., even better than what I thought could be offered as a gift. Yes, there were small ways that they could have been even more perfect, but the gift ideas themselves were nothing but great.

The two before these three (U2-3D and the JT singles) were a bit more chaotic (items not arriving (either in a timely fashion, or at all), damage in transit, etc.) But, there was a win even during this time - for U2-3D, we finally got access to WAV downloads in addition to mp3s. (I also take at least partial credit for that occurring - that was basically my cause célebre here on Zootopia from the Summer of 2017 onward.) I hope we get the same option for this Apollo release; I’m reasonably confident that we will.

Looking forward to the expanded announcement...

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, dmway said:

Well, there are plenty of people, both here and in general, who still enjoy CDs and DVDs. [...]

Here I am.
I am just wondering about this CD and... I hope for a full set but thinking about a song... Wild Horses! I really hope it will be included. :)

• Like 3