U2 remixes ranked Best / Worst

• Subscriber

I’m no massive fan of remixes when the band farms out a track to the in vogue Dance Music producer de jour but for me .....

Even Better than the real thing (perfecto mix)was the absolute peak ( many a 90s evening bopped away to that at the indie disco)

Desire (Hollywood remix) is my least favourite....(I may take my subscriber gift copy out to the local clay pigeon shoot for a suitable funeral)

convince me otherwise , what other great /appalling U2 remixes are out there?

Take me higher....

• Like 2
  • Subscriber

Hi Doc, I completely agree with you about the perfecto mix of Even Better... it's great and I play it regularly. This arrangement was performed by the band at Glastonbury and onwards during the 2011 leg of 360. It's a knockout live.

I also like the Trent Reznor mix of Get On Your Boots that is on Artificial Horizon. He took the manic energy (Edge's riff) out of it, calmed it down and made the song much more likeable for me.

On the bonus disc of Greatest Hits 90-00 there is a remix of Dirty Day that I quite like. It's called The Junk Day mix. It's got more punch and energy than the original.

There are a multitude of Lemon remixes and everyone is an improvement on the original. I always found the album version very repetitive and frankly boring. The remixes change that by adding to it and giving it variety. The version that I particularly like is called the Yard mix or something with the word yard in it. I have it on 10" but it has to be available in other forms.

There are some decent U2 remixes but it really seems that they have been going overboard since POP. I heard a mix of Streets on SiriusXM that was astounding bad recently. Just Bono's vocals over tepid synths. The 1990's were the golden age for U2 remixes in my opinion. Everything since then has been them killing the goose to get the golden egg.

• Like 2
  • Subscriber
On 1/7/2021 at 12:50 PM, CorkVegan said:

the perfecto mix of Even Better... it's great and I play it regularly. This arrangement was performed by the band at Glastonbury and onwards during the 2011 leg of 360. It's a knockout live.

The Perfecto Mix of EBTTRT is great but it wasn't the mix used at Glastonbury or on the 360 tour.

It was the 'Fish out of Water' remix which was found on the AB Deluxe edition of B Sides and Bonus Tracks.

This version was also used on the I & E tour.

There is a great Perfecto remix of Mysterious Ways as well.

I also like Staring in the Sun (Brothers in Rhythm Ambient Mix) from Artificial Horizon and the Hollywood Remix of Desire.

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber
On 1/9/2021 at 1:10 PM, adrnik said:

There is a great Perfecto remix of Mysterious Ways as well.

I was going to post this.  I love it.  

Yes to  Perfecto mix of EBTTRT.

I love the Desire Hollywood Remix.  As an American it made sense and still speaks to me.

1988:. Reagen finishing and George H.W. Bush on his way up for a term.  We had wreaked havoc in Central America.  Iran-Contra was over. Basement White House shredding and the bastard got away with it. Bush was running those awful racist ads about Willie Horton. Cocaine was rampant.  Crack. AIDS.  Everything had been deregulated by Reagen and was open to the highest bidder. Wall Street. Nothing was trickling down, not that I bought it in the first place.  It was chaotic The first time I heard those sirens, I connected. They crank up my nerves and capture how the time felt to me. Desire is one of my favorite U2 tracks.  I also love the video for this remix.