Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

promans

Photos on U2.com

I see the new functions and fun of U2.com have been expanded to include photos.

As a fan photographer, I am extremely worried about the details of copywrite upon uploading:

Your Content. By uploading or posting content, you automatically grant us a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, nonexclusive right andlicense to use, reproduce, display, modify, adapt, publish, transmit and distribute such content in any form, medium or technology now known or laterdeveloped.

So any image you upload to U2.com, becomes their's to use forever. They can add it to books, websites, etc, and never give a dime nor give credit to whocaptured the image.

That is only one part of my concern. Another is that there is no real moderation from what I can tell. You can tag a photo "Flag as Inappropriate"but as far as I can tell, that doesn't do much. I am guessing if a photo gets a couple of them someone might take a look at it.

The last problem I find is there is no easy method to check for the re-use of others images. I know several other fan photographers who are extremely worriedabout other people uploading their work and granting U2.com license to use it because it was incorrectly uploaded. Or for that matter, other people layingclaim to the image- knowingly or un-knowingly.

If these points can be clarified, I am sure some great images can be shared on this site for all to enjoy.

Phil Romans

ps I don't know why U2.com just didn't enlist something like an official Flickr group to support their cause. Much easier to control content there thanthis proprietary system on u2.com.

Just upload them in low resolution or put a watermark on it with Photoshop or related programs.

My question still is-

Who is watching those images, and what is being done about people who upload images who they do not own the rights to- either knowingly or unknowningly.

Good one. I see your point. The intention of U2.com is fair, but the construction is very rough around the edges.

Insert a watermark is what I would suggest. Use your real name or username :)

Ragoo wrote:

Insert a watermark is what I would suggest. Use your real name or username
:)

I developed a watermark for all photos starting the fall of last year, but I would have to re-tag everything from Vertigo. Ouch.

I will advise all the fan photographers if they want to protect their stuff to watermark it with something a little more than just a text line along an (pardonthe pun) edge. To avoid simple cropping and re-loading.

I would still like to know who is monitoring the photos if anyone at all. Is there a contact I can make to alert to things instead of trying to tag and orcomment on the image?

Phil

I think peeps mis-understanding this just a tad...the copyright they are "holding" has to do with OTHER SITES using photos from U2.com. So in a wayit's a protection for you that they "hold" the copyright.

Anyone that knows anything about copyright is that the person that took the photo is the sole copyright holder FOREVER unless he literally sells his copyright.U2.com CAN'T "own" your copyright. Not today, not yesterday not ever without paying you to own it.

If you are sincere about your phots and haven't turned them into the library of congress copyright office (apply whatever country you live in) then, justputting a watermark on it, dioesn't validate it.

PLEASE understand...YOU OWN YOUR PHOTOS forever!

U2.com policy is strictly mean't to ward off poachers from taking anything from this site.

Izzy2u wrote:

I think peeps mis-understanding this just a tad...the copyright they are "holding" has to do with OTHER SITES using photos from U2.com. So in a way it's a protection for you that they "hold" the copyright.

Anyone that knows anything about copyright is that the person that took the photo is the sole copyright holder FOREVER unless he literally sells his copyright. U2.com CAN'T "own" your copyright. Not today, not yesterday not ever without paying you to own it.

If you are sincere about your phots and haven't turned them into the library of congress copyright office (apply whatever country you live in) then, just putting a watermark on it, dioesn't validate it.

PLEASE understand...YOU OWN YOUR PHOTOS forever!

U2.com policy is strictly mean't to ward off poachers from taking anything from this site.

I am still worried about who is watching the photo pool. How do we get an admin to remove photos which are now owned by the person who uploaded it?

There was a bunch recently uploaded that I know were not owned by the person who uploaded them... who watches the pool?!