Future ideas for Subscriber gifts and Subscriber specials

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, after speaking to fellow fans, we thought it would be a good idea to have a dedicated thread in one place to list all of our ideas for future subscriber gifts and subscriber specials. In the p

I would like to see more content and value within the subscriber specials. They could release a live show every quarter for subscribers only, available to download as MP3s and to stream, but not physi

I would like a pony.   😉

• Subscriber

I for one am happy with CDs and would like to see the gifts continue in that medium. I prefer audio over video. I prefer unreleased material over releases material. And I love previously unreleased live stuff.

Would love a CD of all the early demo tapes. All of them, not just the three songs done for iTunes. We know RTÉ has some of the early in studio sessions as well. Something like that would be top of my list.

But I’ve been really happy with most of the gifts. Except the prints, sadly those are still in a tube somewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

I think the band needs to step it up a bit, as I feel DVD-over-Blu-ray for Berlin, several single-only vinyl releases, and the upcoming Apollo CD are all a bit in the weak department. I mention Apollo because I am pretty sure the whole thing was filmed and would've loved for this year's gift to be a box set. In the the past, U22, Songs of i+e, the 360 book have all bee great! But time for something that might take a bit more money to produce. I am sure fans would appreciate it. The Dead and Phish have been doing these for years. Some ideas...

• Rattle & Hum complete outtakes to coincide with mainstream rerelease of film in super deluxe box
  • Lovetown box with documentary video, show footage, and several shows on audio
  • ZOO TV comprehensive box with various shows on video and audio
  • PopMart South American and/or South African video footage in box with audio
  • U2 3D Vertigo Tour film in full
  • Complete tours anthology book
  • A Blu-ray with nothing but old TV appearances, footage from very old shows, interviews, and tons of backstage footage
  • Introduction to ongoing streaming/download subscription service for shows, kind of like what nugs.net does (for Phish, Pearl Jam, etc.)
  • Like 1
  • Subscriber

Music. 

Music. 

MUSIC. 

Music is why I like U2. I don't like U2 for the books, the prints, the T-shirts. They're all fine, but those aren't why I like U2. 

Physical versions of download-only releases such as The Eternal Remixes, or Ahimsa. CD, 12", or 7" - but if its a 7", you need more than just a 2 track 7" to justify the subscription fee. Maybe a 10th anniversary, CD version - or coloured vinyl variant 12" - of Wide Awake In Europe. It's the only release that many of us don't have. Secondhand prices of it are simply absurd. It'll fill a gap and still please the trainspotters who have the original. 

DVD/BR's to tie in with anniversaries : a 20th anniversary fanclub 2CD+BR of an Elevation show, or a 10th anniversary 2CD+BR of one of the 2011 tourstops with a radically different setlist. And there's hundreds of shows recorded and filmed on the night the band could inevitably choose. Not everything has to be mixed within an inch of its life to have value to us. 

How about a 2 x LP of the U23D soundtrack - maybe with "Kite" from the B-side as the last song?

A CD of radio sessions such as promo tour appearances? The band recorded sessions without an audience in 2000 in London and for RAI Uno, which would make a nice release. Same for the 2004 HQ session -  https://www.u2gigs.com/show1240.html which could be filled out with acoustic versions from the Atomic Bomb DVD. The band don't seem interested in putting this stuff on box sets, so they could issue them as supplemental fanclub treats. 

We know the band have recorded every last noise they've made on stage since around 1991. It wouldn't hurt to let the music out. 

• Like 3
  • Subscriber

-DVD or BluRay of an American EI show, so we could have one of each from EI, as the setlist and feel of each leg was unique

-DVD or BluRay of past live TV performances, especially Please from MVA's,  Every Breaking Wave from Europe MVA's and Numb from MVA's.

• Like 3
  • Subscriber

Music of any variety is always great. I've always enjoyed the CDs/ vinyl. The music track on the DVD was superb quality and the 4K stream looked amazing. And the wav downloads of the R&H promo were a class touch. Much appreciated. 

The 'subscriber specials' were great circa 2009-2011, live streams/ full tracks, but the musical content has tailed away since. Always secretly hoping for either a Flash Postcard or 7'' vinyl flexidisc revival 😉

• Subscriber

I think we can all agree that we don't receive value for our payments. $35 or $40 a year for a simple dvd in low quality, yeah that's a shame. In terms of what could better to my opinion: man I loved the books (FTGU and North Side), along with the music. Totally agree with the monthly release of videos. I prefer nothing to see at all than the 30 seconds clips. 

Of course, releasing more live material is always good! Make them available for download, at least make up the dollars we give them. And indeed not what already has been released, but some new previously unreleased stuff!

• Subscriber

A book with all the graphics and images they've used over the years, with some backstory insights, would be sweet. 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

Music needs to be the first priority.

I think there should also be the option that subscribers should be able to buy subscriber gifts from previous years if that makes sense.

So for example, i joined in 2014, so missed out on U22, Artificial Horizon and  From The Ground Up: Edge's Picks to name but 3.

These 3 releases go for £50+ on Discogs.

Obviously there will be subscribers who will have these (And many earlier gifts) so it'd be completely optional. 

The prints in 2016 were great, but i simply don't have the space for them currently..

Also as others have said, the nugs.net style archive would be greatly appreciated and hugely popular i think. 

• Like 1
  • mich40 unpinned this topic