Future ideas for Subscriber gifts and Subscriber specials

• Subscriber

I like listening to early demos of tracks (Kindergarten Achtung Baby) and even sound checks because I love the raw form. So demo albums would be a great win for me. I think u2.com subscribers or people thinking of subscribing aren't exactly your casual fan (especially in quiet non touring years) so risks can be taken! If Bonos voice doesn't sound great or The Edge's guitar is off, we won't care, we'll love it!

Another good gift idea, which other people have alluded to would be a high quality picture book (like that really expensive product design book Apple released a few years ago), with images from past tours, big moments, propaganda covers, etc...

Main thing for me with the gift is I want exclusives! Berlin (well half of Berlin) was on TV, I loved it but boy that was a cop out.

Away from the gift, with content on the site, I don't think there's much to entice new subscribers or keep subscribers happy - especially when there is no tour, its very quiet. The suggestion of full live song footage is great, the odd minute snippets are okay for free view site users but give subscribers the full ones! I just think with a band that's been around for as long as U2, there's not enough valuable content!

The watch-alongs were okay but they were just streams of DVD releases, which I'm sure most of us already have or have at least seen, give us new stuff!

P.S. I'm actually not too picky with the gift, just no remixes, please, I beg. Also last years gift - a DVD...in 2020...still upset it wasn't a 4K blu-ray let alone a standard blu-ray!

• Like 1
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, after speaking to fellow fans, we thought it would be a good idea to have a dedicated thread in one place to list all of our ideas for future subscriber gifts and subscriber specials. In the p

I would like to see more content and value within the subscriber specials. They could release a live show every quarter for subscribers only, available to download as MP3s and to stream, but not physi

I would like a pony.   😉

• Subscriber

I’d love a proper recording of North Star and Studio version of Mercy. A proper zoo tv in 1080/blue ray would be cool. The EI dvd quality bothers me.   

I’m still waiting on a JT17/19 concert dvd and that unreleased documentary HBO filmed regarding Bono’s recovery to health and life around the Innocence Experience tour. 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, mochidachshund said:

I’m still waiting on a JT17/19 concert dvd and that unreleased documentary HBO filmed regarding Bono’s recovery to health and life around the Innocence Experience tour. 

Yeah, what ever happened to that documentary?! So weird how it was just pulled without explanation at the last minute. I was looking forward to it.

• Subscriber
On 3/1/2021 at 8:27 AM, ramsatw said:

I would like a pony.

😉

You won't get the pony that you want. Instead you'll probably get four remixed ponies that are nothing like a pony. 🥱

• Brilliant 1
Such as the big bands (Beatles, Queen, Electric Light Orchestra, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Stiff Little Fingers, etc.). U2 must have an album with BBC sessions.

I have a compilation from a fan site with this sessions.

01. Maida Vale Studio (Sept. 22, 1980): I Will Follow - The Electric Co - An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart.

Only 'I Will Follow' was released on the 1992 compilation album 'One & Only: 25 Years of Radio 1'.

02. Richard Skinner's session (Sept. 3, 1981): Boy Girl - With a Shout - I Threw a Brick - Scarlet.

The last three songs were included in the 2008 remastered edition of the album 'October'.

03. Kid Jensen Session's (Jan. 31, 1983): Like a Song - Surrender - Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Unreleased tracks. Only 'Surrender' can be listened on some Soundcloud podcasts in high quality.

04. Maida Vale Studio (Oct. 23, 2000): Elevation - New York - Stuck in a moment - Beautiful Day - She is a Mystery.

Very unreleased stuff at the moment.

05. HQ Studio - Zane Lowe's Radio 1 Sessions (Oct. 26, 2004): Vertigo - All Because of you - Miracle Srug - Sometimes You Can't Make it on your own - Beautiful Day.

I think 'SYCMIOYO' was released as a video on the 'HTDAAB' DVD album (not really sure).

06. BBC at the Radio Theater + The Rooftop Concert (Feb. 27, 2009):

Get on your boots - Magnificent - Beautiful Day - Breathe.
Get on your boots - Magnificent - Vertigo - Beautiful Day.

Unreleased material.

07. Maida Vale Studios - The Piano Room - Jo Whiley's Radio Session 2 (Oct. 15, 2014): 

The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) - Every Breaking Wave - Cedarwood Road - Song for Someone - Stuck in a Moment.

'Every Breaking Wave' was released on a 2017 BBC Radio 2 compilation album.

I'm leaving the 2017 session at Abbey Road Studio, a DVD with the full session could be released
  • Brilliant 1
  • Subscriber
On 3/2/2021 at 9:15 AM, Vertigo4Life said:

I really like the idea of a book with all the old Propaganda issues.  It's just so weird to read them on U2.com and it'd be so much better to hold it in my hands and read it.

While I'm at it, I'm also a fan of getting more live shows.  Right now we only have bootlegs and YouTube videos.  I'm sure that with all of the shows that are rumored to be recorded we could get some really great stuff from the band.  And there seems to be no shortage of shows that could be released, just look at how many shows were on the U2360 tour.  And I'd love some more Popmart/ZooTV stuff.  Especially considering that this year is the 30th anniversary of Achtung Baby.

There was a wonderful book a few years back that collected a lot of the Propaganda material. It was called “U2 The Best of Propaganda” and was edited by Ian Gittins. Covered the full run of the magazine from the early pre-Prop mags right up to the last issue of Propaganda. Worth keeping your eyes out for - pops up on Amazon for decent prices too...

• Like 2
  • Brilliant 1
  • Subscriber

Regarding the exclusive Stuff ... I’m dying for another “cool” person playlist... NOT (no offense to anyone) but this is very lame effort for the paid subscribers ... like mentioned in first post at least one live track per month would be nice (see Metallica, see Pearl Jam...) 

gift wise last few were really nice, but we all know that proper ZooTV release would be a mother of all gifts! 30th birthday right around the corner so maybe? 

• Like 3
  • Subscriber
Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2021 at 7:09 PM, AJ2 said:

There was a wonderful book a few years back that collected a lot of the Propaganda material. It was called “U2 The Best of Propaganda” and was edited by Ian Gittins. Covered the full run of the magazine from the early pre-Prop mags right up to the last issue of Propaganda. Worth keeping your eyes out for - pops up on Amazon for decent prices too...

I have that book too. Got it and a few physical issues of Propaganda in a second hand music store. 

Edited by CraigFairlie
  • Like 1
  • Subscriber

I would like to see some more frequent stuff for paid up subscribers. maybe every so often just give us a download of a live track(s), unreleased studio track(s) from an old session, a new song even. If that song were to turn up on a studio album a year later and we had the demo or early version it wouldn't be the end of the world.

The watch along video streams are always ones we will have bought so how about one that has never been seen?

How about being able to download a full concert every so often?

Finally, I have been saying this for a while, the U2 at the BBC box set - maybe not a fan club gift - is surely a good idea. It was mentioned above by another poster and yes, I totally agree. The Bowie, Bolan, Siousxie and the Banshees, Blondie and 80s Grind band compilation are all brilliant. The BBC has plenty of U2 stuff and a polished up set with a DVD of Top of the Pops and other appearances would be brilliant Surely two or three discs worth? 

• Like 2
  • Subscriber
On 3/2/2021 at 10:16 PM, mochidachshund said:

I’d love a proper recording of North Star and Studio version of Mercy. A proper zoo tv in 1080/blue ray would be cool. The EI dvd quality bothers me.   

Yeah, i'm sure it was to be broadcast in November 2015 but was postponed/cancelled due to the Paris attacks. Strange how absolutely nothing has came of it. 

• Like 1
  • mich40 unpinned this topic