Future ideas for Subscriber gifts and Subscriber specials

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)

The breadth of subscribers' wishes is impressive, but probably means keeping none of the people happy any of the time. In recent times I've been a member of the Pearl Jam, REM (10 years gone, so maybe not that recent!) and The Killers' equivalents of the fan club. I would still maintain that the U2 gifts compete with any of those, both in terms of quantity and quality of music and physical format.

I do think that the website, with the exception of the spell between 2009-2011, has been under-utilised from a music point of view, particularly live tracks and shows. Pearl Jam and Bruce Springsteen lead the way there, albeit not freely. Unless musical, the 'subscriber specials' on u2.com are a bit spurious in terms of what they provide, while real news inevitably breaks elsewhere. Maybe websites and forums in general have been overtaken by social media.  

Separately, the request for a pony puts me in mind of that great Irish classic, Horse Outside by the Rubberbandits... 

Edited by Anam
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, after speaking to fellow fans, we thought it would be a good idea to have a dedicated thread in one place to list all of our ideas for future subscriber gifts and subscriber specials. In the p

I would like to see more content and value within the subscriber specials. They could release a live show every quarter for subscribers only, available to download as MP3s and to stream, but not physi

I would like a pony.   😉

• Subscriber

Man, looking at Springsteens and Metallica's website makes me depressed. They literally offer recordings for every show and they're available to purchase in multiple digital formats or as a physical CD. Springsteen offers a discount if you purchase a whole leg, and Metallica will give you the recording free if you were at that show. I really wished U2 did the same. For one of the greatest live bands ever they really do release a minimal amount of live music. Come on LiveNation, there's money to be made here!

• Brilliant 1
  • Subscriber
On 3/9/2021 at 10:09 AM, sukhjitkamal said:

Man, looking at Springsteens and Metallica's website makes me depressed. They literally offer recordings for every show and they're available to purchase in multiple digital formats or as a physical CD. Springsteen offers a discount if you purchase a whole leg, and Metallica will give you the recording free if you were at that show. I really wished U2 did the same. For one of the greatest live bands ever they really do release a minimal amount of live music. Come on LiveNation, there's money to be made here!

The band already discussed this possibility for Vertigo, and decided against it due to the standard perfectionist approach. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Just throwing another idea into the mix which for me anyway would tick a lot of boxes in the one go. A cd or 2cd set of tracks that have never been officially released live before. I don’t know if the band have recordings in the vaults from the early days but songs like Rejoice, Tomorrow, Like A Song (only played once live), wire, Indian Summer Sky, Babyface, The Wanderer (Johnny Cash Tribute night version), The First Time, Do You Feel Loved, Miami, Wild Honey, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Crumbs From Your Table, Fast Cars, A Man And A Woman (Clinton foundation event version), Lucifers Hands, Ordinary Love, Window In The Skies. 

• Brilliant 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Another idea is to release the visuals used on the tours as subscriber specials. For example, release the footage that was shown on the big screen during the JT Anniversary tours, such as the Streets and OTH footage.

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

I've really enjoyed the live music releases - either on CD or the vinyl/mp3 combo. The idea of a live, complete '92 Zoo TV show for the 2022 subscriber's gift sounds awesome. 

Along those lines, I'd definitely like to see a Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary show released - it feels like we've been hearing about the movie for years now - if the video is held up for whatever reason, a complete show as an audio release would be great.

I know Popmart can be divisive, but it made me a fan. I'd love to see a subscriber gift of a show from the 1st or 2nd leg of the tour. 

I have also continued to enjoy the Berlin show in hi-def on the U2.com site. Now that they're upgrading past tour videos, it would be great if these were available to watch as a U2.com member along with Berlin. Not necessarily the subscriber's gift, but more of perk of being a member. I'm sure most of us already own the DVD, but that Virtual Tour Popmart upgrade looked great! 

• Like 2
  • Subscriber
On 3/9/2021 at 10:09 AM, sukhjitkamal said:

Pearl Jam have released 'official bootlegs' since 2000 and there's hundreds of shows they've released.

I can vouch for the quality of the Springsteen recordings. I purchased the show from Glasgow in 2016, one which i attended, and the CDs are full professional recordings. Plays like a conventional live album.

• Subscriber
On 3/27/2021 at 10:54 AM, Dean Allison said:

Just throwing another idea into the mix which for me anyway would tick a lot of boxes in the one go. A cd or 2cd set of tracks that have never been officially released live before. I don’t know if the band have recordings in the vaults from the early days but songs like Rejoice, Tomorrow, Like A Song (only played once live), wire, Indian Summer Sky, Babyface, The Wanderer (Johnny Cash Tribute night version), The First Time, Do You Feel Loved, Miami, Wild Honey, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Crumbs From Your Table, Fast Cars, A Man And A Woman (Clinton foundation event version), Lucifers Hands, Ordinary Love, Window In The Skies. 

They've recorded everything from, i believe, 1989 or 1992 and it's in the archives/vaults so it could be opened.

On 4/6/2021 at 3:01 PM, sukhjitkamal said:

Another idea is to release the visuals used on the tours as subscriber specials. For example, release the footage that was shown on the big screen during the JT Anniversary tours, such as the Streets and OTH footage.

A great idea, however, it'd be a few years off in my opinion, due to the fact that the footage from the JT Anniversary tours were shot in 8K and 8K technology isn't overly accessible as it's price prohibitive. 

On 4/7/2021 at 3:28 PM, FlyShades2739 said:

I've really enjoyed the live music releases - either on CD or the vinyl/mp3 combo. The idea of a live, complete '92 Zoo TV show for the 2022 subscriber's gift sounds awesome. 

Along those lines, I'd definitely like to see a Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary show released - it feels like we've been hearing about the movie for years now - if the video is held up for whatever reason, a complete show as an audio release would be great.

I know Popmart can be divisive, but it made me a fan. I'd love to see a subscriber gift of a show from the 1st or 2nd leg of the tour. 

I have also continued to enjoy the Berlin show in hi-def on the U2.com site. Now that they're upgrading past tour videos, it would be great if these were available to watch as a U2.com member along with Berlin. Not necessarily the subscriber's gift, but more of perk of being a member. I'm sure most of us already own the DVD, but that Virtual Tour Popmart upgrade looked great! 

• Subscriber

So the outside box was heavy duty, much like the AB20 box, and the design was based on The Virtual Road poster. Within were 4 x 12'' vinyl, the four VR live EPs, in sleeves identical to their digital covers. Paris was blue, white & red marble. Mexico was lemon yellow. Slane was green, white and gold. Red Rocks was, er, red. Fans were united in awe and wonder! Then I woke up... But ye can have the idea for nothing!! 🤫

• Brilliant 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

No matter what the future gifts may be, it would just be nice to get them quicker than 6 months after the announcement. 

• Haha 1
  • mich40 unpinned this topic