U2 The Virtual Road Live Thread - Stop 3: U2 POPmart: Live From Mexico City

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love "Gone" and I want it back in the setlist...  

Lovely Discotheque... I played the single all the time before POP was officially released - love it!  

I dont really see what all the fuss is about 😝    

Posted Images

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

Being sore from dancing last night is NOT because I"m getting old, yes?  🤣  

I don't think so mate. I'm still booze-free-joy-high hungover 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Madfl3a said:

I applaud you for being able to stay up and watch the show live. Years ago I could have, but I think age is taking it's toll on me now. Anyway I am about to to catch up with show now.

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
Posted (edited)

Watching - again - tonight...
... "psychedelic" (in a good way)
So 90s!
I was a teenager when I discovered U2 during the Pop Era.
After more than 20 years I am still impressed.

Edited by seresere
  • Like 3
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, seresere said:

Watching - again - tonight...
... "psychedelic" (in a good way)
So 90s!
I was a teenager when I discovered U2 during the Pop Era.
After more than 20 years I am still impressed.

I am thinking about watching again as well.

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
6 hours ago, Madfl3a said:

I would have what I could compare to jet lag, were I you.

• Haha 1
  • Subscriber
Posted (edited)

Hmm... the band look great in the remastered video, but it's a shame the screen now looks abysmal!

Edited by Canadanne
  • Subscriber
5 hours ago, Canadanne said:

Hmm... the band look great in the remastered video, but it's a shame the screen now looks abysmal!

Well, you have to remember that screen was always meant for those who were far away from the stage. Those up close (and those watching with newly-remastered video) can see the individual pixels in the screen and the individual panels making up the entirety of the screen. So, yes, you're right - the new remastering makes the screen almost too distinct in parts. However, when they had, for example, Roy Liectenstein's video during BTBS, that looked great! It was when they projected shots from the stage that the video board was a little wanting. Ironically, for the screen to look as it did to those in the audience at the time, the best experience would most likely be to watch the original VHS tape.

On the whole, the new remastering is more good than bad; I still am in awe of the improved sound - the sound wasn't brilliant (but also not bad) on the original VHS tape, but the video was good on both the tape and the DVD. I'm blown away that they were able to improve the clarity of the sound so much - it was excellent on the DVD, but they managed to improve it again!

Again, well done to the remastering crew! 👍

• Brilliant 1
  • Subscriber
22 hours ago, Madfl3a said:

Guess what I'm watching again now it's actually morning 😜

...and I have now done the same, and, indirectly imitating you, I am now writing this comment at 4 am! 😄

A few notes on the reviewing (which I recommend, if you haven't already done so):

The intro when they walk out to the stage is shot in B&W - this continues into "MOFO" until The Edge squeezes that high-pitched note straight from Venus near the beginning of the song - then, it is in (very bright) color.

The mirrorball-lemon reflecting on the crowd during IYWTVD is amazing! They have my permission to bring that back (they came close with a similar effect on "Ultraviolet" during the U2360 tour).

The concert-goers of this show get an A+ (A* in the UK) for their lighter skills throughout the performance. It is simply one of the best visual effects of the show.

The start of the show with "MOFO" and IWF back-to-back is effective - both with its "now vs. then" connection and the fact that both songs address the loss of Bono's mother. (I still think this was/is my favorite show beginning, as I mentioned earlier in the thread - the Larry/Adam "Mission Impossible" theme (not included in the video, unfortunately), into the "Pop Musik" remix, into "MOFO", into IWF was just mind-blowing at the time and since).

That's it for now - maybe more later (I have to sleep).

• Like 2
  • Brilliant 1