• Subscriber

Hello from San Francisco. I'm really missing the rumors/updates we used to get from @U2. Has anyone found a site that fills this void? I'd love to know if there is any activity, if there is any recording going on, any hints about what lays ahead. Personally I am praying for a rebirth of ZOOTV and a world tour of Achtung Baby (which would be fucking mind-blowing) but at this point I'll take what I can get! 

Andy

• Like 3
  • Subscriber
52 minutes ago, Andyfff said:

hints about what lays ahead

None that I've heard.  Many want Achtung Baby Anniversary something.   I'm of the other school, and want new music.  (not that I don't want AB) Perhaps we'll get both.

• Like 2
  • Subscriber
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Andyfff said:

Hello from San Francisco. I'm really missing the rumors/updates we used to get from @U2. Has anyone found a site that fills this void? I'd love to know if there is any activity, if there is any recording going on, any hints about what lays ahead.

You could try U2songs - https://www.u2songs.com/news/
I don't think there have been any recent reports of band activity or plans, though.

Edited by Canadanne
  • Like 1
  • Subscriber
5 hours ago, Andyfff said:

Hello from San Francisco. I'm really missing the rumors/updates we used to get from @U2. Has anyone found a site that fills this void? I'd love to know if there is any activity, if there is any recording going on, any hints about what lays ahead. Personally I am praying for a rebirth of ZOOTV and a world tour of Achtung Baby (which would be fucking mind-blowing) but at this point I'll take what I can get! 

Andy

Hi Andy.

I second @Canadanne's recommendation of U2Songs - that is a very good site that has reliable connections with people "in the know". I would also suggest https://u2start.com/ This is another site where unofficial news sometimes occurs first. (I also agree that the vacuum left by @U2's absence is a big vacuum.)

I think the idea of a ZooTV anniversary tour has been so commonly and enthusiastically evoked (and the band members themselves in interviews have not downplayed the possibility) that something will happen involving AB. I also think, and I've said this in other threads talking about this possibility, that an AB/ZooTV-themed tour and a tour for a new album are not mutually exclusive. You could very easily do both: all of AB, a few selections from a new album, then a few classics from across the years, and you have a full setlist! (Another thing to keep in mind is that 2022 is not only the 30th anniversary of the ZooTV tour, it is also the 25th anniversary of POP/POPMart - the mind boggles with the possibilities...)

My only concern about a ZooTV anniversary tour would be fan expectation. What I mean more explicitly is people wanting a show that was as mind-blowing as ZooTV was when it was brand-new in 1992/93. Part of the reason that show was so revolutionary was the technology involved - that could be replicated. Another reason that show was so mind-blowing was that it was the first which had costume changes and roles being played on stage; these made the shows extra-special and unique - these can be replicated as well (and have been to a degree on subsequent tours). However, let's acknowledge a fact here: who had the most...let's call it "kinetic"...role on-stage during ZooTV? I think we could all agree that that was Bono. Who also has had the most health challenges (both from fate and from his own making) since ZooTV? I think we can also all agree that that is Bono. Bono is an amazing human being and I am (and we all are) often in awe of him. However, I don't know any human being who is as spry in their early 60s as they were in their early 30s, doubly so if there have been health incidents along the way. So, a full-fledged ZooTV recreation I think shouldn't be anticipated. I think there are those who didn't see the original ZooTV who are hoping for some kind of reenactment of that tour for a putative AB anniversary tour; reasonably, such an expectation should be at least somewhat tempered.

Now, that doesn't mean that anything that they came up with for such a tour wouldn't be stellar. One of the things I really admire about U2 is they fact that they still manage to blow me away with every tour, surpassing any expectation my mind attempts to come up with in advance. They would clearly do the same for this one (if it happens).

(Sorry for the extended answer - I'd like an AB anniversary tour too because the album deserves one. However, if it happens, I don't think it will be just like ZooTV. Heck, I just want concerts again.)

• Brilliant 1
  • Subscriber

Thanks dmway, very well said. I'm not as worried about fan expectations as you are. If Willie Williams is still involved I have no doubt that ZOOTV would be updated for the new millennium in proper fashion. I saw the original show at the Tokyo Dome (with Big Audio Dynamite as the opening act) and its still one of the best shows I have ever seen. Even if they want to go big and play football stadiums, Outside Broadcast would translate well.

I just want the band to enjoy themselves. Larry's absence from the Sirius channel is concerning. Do whatever you have to do to keep having fun. If its a new album, fine. If its no new album, just Achtung Baby/ZOOTV plus, fine. But after 40+ years I feel like the happiness of the band will determine what happens after whatever comes next. So I'll take whatever comes, as long as all four guys finish with excitement for the future. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Subscriber
On 4/5/2021 at 6:00 PM, Andyfff said:

Thanks dmway, very well said. I'm not as worried about fan expectations as you are. If Willie Williams is still involved I have no doubt that ZOOTV would be updated for the new millennium in proper fashion. I saw the original show at the Tokyo Dome (with Big Audio Dynamite as the opening act) and its still one of the best shows I have ever seen. Even if they want to go big and play football stadiums, Outside Broadcast would translate well.

I just want the band to enjoy themselves. Larry's absence from the Sirius channel is concerning. Do whatever you have to do to keep having fun. If its a new album, fine. If its no new album, just Achtung Baby/ZOOTV plus, fine. But after 40+ years I feel like the happiness of the band will determine what happens after whatever comes next. So I'll take whatever comes, as long as all four guys finish with excitement for the future. 

Yes - since my original response was far longer than I expected it to be, I left out a few things. First, I was quite sure that you had seen the original ZooTV (if I remember that tour correctly, you saw one of the last two shows of the ZooTV tour in Tokyo, didn't you? That would have been an amazing one to see; B.A.D. as an opening band would have been great too!). My comment about "fan expectations" came from comments I had read here and on other forums where those who were too young to see the original ZooTV were hoping for some kind of reenactment of it for an AB anniversary tour. IMHO, that ship has sailed for that specific variety of show; however, like you, I am completely optimistic of whatever the band, Willie Williams, and other members of U2's creative team (who have all been extra-outstanding from 1992 onward) will be worth seeing/hearing. Heck, I'd be quite happy if they used the JT anniversary template as far as song selection goes - i.e., opening assortment of songs, AB in order, closing assortment of songs. Since we finally got "Acrobat" live on the e&i tour, the last unplayed song from AB would be "So Cruel" - a complete, full-band version of that and (finally) every song from AB will have been played live (Bono once or twice played excerpts from "So Cruel", but only by himself and acoustically).

I would be less concerned by Larry's absence on the Sirius channel. IMHO, that is Larry being his normally media-shy self. I always expected him to be the one who would be on it the least. Still, it would be nice if he did something. 😄

Completely agree with what you said at the end. I just want them to have fun and enjoy whatever is left of their career, whether that's 2-3 years or more than 10.

And, back on topic...I hope you enjoy the sites we all recommended to you above.

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)

I haven't read anything about new activity of U2 recently. Even not whether they are writing new songs or not. I have always predicted the band has (at least) three new albums in them (that

is probably bad English), rereleases not included. And I hope there is still unheard material in the vaults. 

Inhaler, the band of Bono's son Elijah, releases its first album 'It Won't Always Be Like This' on July 16 by the way. 

Edited by Malahide
  • Subscriber
Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2021 at 9:11 PM, dmway said:

AB/ZooTV-themed tour and a tour for a new album are not mutually exclusive. You could very easily do both

Another tour like TJT30 Anniversary might not work so well without two new albums to bookend it.  Personally, I want new music over a rehashed AB/Zoo TV tour.  I would be interested to see how they can do AB and a new album/tour without one taking away from the other.  We're talking albums that we love but they are 25-30 years old.   I think they need a new album.  I'd be happy but very disappointed if the next thing they did was AB in its entirety and then some other songs.  AB is awesome, as is Pop but it's the past. It would be like touring glory days without something new.  I don't see them doing that but who knows?  Guessing and wondering is fun.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Subscriber
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Malahide said:

I have always predicted the band has (at least) three new albums in them

I've always thought they must  have some volume of work that is new.  They're musicians.  Why keep playing the same stuff when one can write new songs as well?

9 hours ago, Malahide said:

Inhaler, the band of Bono's son Elijah, releases its first album 'It Won't Always Be Like This' on July 16 by the way. 

I'm looking forward to it.  I like his voice.  I also like the drummer a lot.  I had tickets to see them in Chicago before the pandemic.  Hopefully they're reschedule. 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Subscriber
On 4/5/2021 at 5:00 PM, Andyfff said:

what happens after whatever comes next

We do love to try and predict it, with very strong opinions though!   😜   It's fun!