U2 The Virtual Road Live Thread - Final Stop: iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE: Live in Paris

Max Tsukino

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)

Man I had never heard of Feu! Chatterton before and was totally blown away. And now the damned stream is private (I didn't realize the openers were 48 hours too). Is there anywhere to see that set (legally) anywhere else? I have demo love and no other live shows of theirs are scratching that itch.

edit: Also lol I've been a member of U2's sites since... the late 90s? 99/2000 when they first allowed you to sign up? And this is my first actual post? (I post on Interference though)

Edited by kilowattson

• Subscriber

It wouldn't surprise me if they started releasing the shows that were upgraded and released for 48 hours.  It doesn't make sense they would go to that expense only to release it for 2 days. It wouldn't surprise me if they did something for EI but not for a while because it was last year's gift and an exclusive.

• Subscriber
On 4/15/2021 at 11:39 PM, Manohlive said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they started releasing the shows that were upgraded and released for 48 hours.  It doesn't make sense they would go to that expense only to release it for 2 days. It wouldn't surprise me if they did something for EI but not for a while because it was last year's gift and an exclusive.

When they announced that EI would be the subscribers gift I was still fully expecting it to get a commercial release to. I thought they would keep the DVD + Booklet as the subscribers gift, and then release a BD without the booklet to the general public. That way it wouldn't be the same as the "exclusive" gift for subscribers. 

• Subscriber
On 4/15/2021 at 11:16 PM, kilowattson said:

Man I had never heard of Feu! Chatterton before and was totally blown away. And now the damned stream is private (I didn't realize the openers were 48 hours too). Is there anywhere to see that set (legally) anywhere else? I have demo love and no other live shows of theirs are scratching that itch.

edit: Also lol I've been a member of U2's sites since... the late 90s? 99/2000 when they first allowed you to sign up? And this is my first actual post? (I post on Interference though)

I'd keep an eye on Feu!'s youtube channel. Dermot's uploaded his performance from the the virtual road a couple of weeks after it was taken down on his own channel

• Like 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, sukhjitkamal said:

When they announced that EI would be the subscribers gift I was still fully expecting it to get a commercial release to. I thought they would keep the DVD + Booklet as the subscribers gift, and then release a BD without the booklet to the general public. That way it wouldn't be the same as the "exclusive" gift for subscribers. 

I think there is a good chance they will do that further down the road.  One thing I have wondered:  People stream these days.  How many actually go out and buy DVD/BluRays?   I don't know.  It's been years since I bought one.  I'd buy something by U2 and a couple other bands,  but nothing else.  I don't want the space taken up and the discs become antiquated with the next technology.  At what point does it no longer become viable for U2, and other bands, to release things when the vast majority don't have to buy it to see it?  Again, I don't know.  If I was an artist, I would not be in any hurry to release a DVD of BluRay when everyone's just watching it on YouTube anyhow.  I'm wondering how much the fact that artist's no longer get paid for their music is affecting how they release things.  It's got to be very disheartening.  It'd be like not getting paid on Friday after working all week.  We'll see what they do.  Music, at least in my country, is no longer something you go out and purchase.  It's something people find on the computer for free.  It's not right but it is what it is.  How many people would actually go out and buy EI on BluRay?  I would not.  I have it on DVD, which is fine for me.   I'm not sure there's a huge market any longer but I could be wrong. 

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I think there is a good chance they will do that further down the road.  One thing I have wondered:  People stream these days.  How many actually go out and buy DVD/BluRays?   I don't know.  It's been years since I bought one.  I'd buy something by U2 and a couple other bands,  but nothing else.  I don't want the space taken up and the discs become antiquated with the next technology.  At what point does it no longer become viable for U2, and other bands, to release things when the vast majority don't have to buy it to see it?  Again, I don't know.  If I was an artist, I would not be in any hurry to release a DVD of BluRay when everyone's just watching it on YouTube anyhow.  I'm wondering how much the fact that artist's no longer get paid for their music is affecting how they release things.  It's got to be very disheartening.  It'd be like not getting paid on Friday after working all week.  We'll see what they do.  Music, at least in my country, is no longer something you go out and purchase.  It's something people find on the computer for free.  It's not right but it is what it is.  How many people would actually go out and buy EI on BluRay?  I would not.  I have it on DVD, which is fine for me.   I'm not sure there's a huge market any longer but I could be wrong. 

I think I would buy it... If they did something nice with it. I love a good boxset tbh because there's always a ton of great stuff inside... It's like a forever Christmas present - because I tend to forget about what's in there after a while 😅

I would die for a I+E/E+I one seriously... I'm sure they'd come up with great goodies on the theme of Innocence to Experience. 

I am an absolute stream addict but I tend to buy stuff I really like without hesitation. If I'm not mistaken there was a download link for I+E too? That's the best. Having the physical stuff AND the dematerialized version. it's just a lot more convenient to watch on that format. 

So yeah... I say nice boxsets and download links would be perfect! I don't know if there's still a huge market for that, but there are still fans willing to give them all their money 😂

Edited by Madfl3a
  • Like 1

• Subscriber

I wouldn’t be happy if they released Berlin physically on blu Ray or 4k having paid more for a dvd version of the show. If it gets released digitally in 4k that’s fine but I want the fanclub version to be the only physical officially released version otherwise it devalues it releasing it in higher quality to the general public. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Madfl3a said:

there are still fans willing to give them all their money

That would be me too.  My friends think I'm nuts.  

1 hour ago, Madfl3a said:

I would die for a I+E/E+I one seriously... I'm sure they'd come up with great goodies on the theme of Innocence to Experience. 

I would love this.  If they combined the two shows/separated discs into one package-that would be awesome.  I'd sprint to buy it the second it went on sale.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I would love this.  If they combined the two shows/separated discs into one package-that would be awesome.  I'd sprint to buy it the second it went on sale.

Right?! I knew you were my kind of people @Manohlive🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I would buy it immediately,  quality of BluRay 4k video AND audio are miles better than the streaming, plus having nice booklets with artwork's great for collections. Wouldn't it be nice to return to a world with some more physical releases? Fairer prices for artists, saving the recordstores, great for the collectors and audiophiles???  There ARE a lot of artists still releasing on BluRay, and, of course, the times of millionselling releases are over, but it will sell.

Edited by cristiu2
  • Like 1