• Subscriber

I've never seen the film as I was far to young when it came out. I would love a chance to see it (or even it own it) in 3D, but would happily take a 2D release as well. I guess it depends on whoever on the rights to the film though. 

• Subscriber
On 4/20/2021 at 8:54 PM, Canadanne said:

Personally I'm not bothered about the 3D aspect but I would just love the chance to see the film again, preferably on YouTube or U2.com if it's possible...

Me too!!

I've seen it 10 years ago...

• Like 2

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)

U23D has come up more than once in threads.  It seems to me that it's up to us to make it happen.  (unless I'm misunderstanding Mich and Max's comments)   Someone owns the rights.  Chances are it's not going to be released for commercial sale.  The same goes for theaters running it on their own.  I truly want to see it again and am willing to commit to putting forth effort to help make it happen.  How do we convince theaters that they will make money if they screen it?  When they reopen, they're going to need to maximize profits to make up for losses.  I don't think they're gonna run (so sorry to the band-this is not how I think or feel) an old U2 release because a few fans want it.  I think it's going to take a bunch of us, together, to make this happen.

Mich40 mentioned one central location.  That seems most viable but presents the logistics of travel. As much as people would like to see this, how many would be willing, or able, to spend money on travel to do so?  I know of theaters in Chicago that might well go for this, if convinced they'll have an audience. That's nice for me but may not be good for another.   Where does it take place?   Are there enough of us that we could get it screened in a few theaters, spread out and making the logistics of getting to the thearer easier?   What if there are enough of us to get the ball rolling and suddenly U2 announces a tour?  Will that same number of people still spend the money on U23D?  What if a few places were willing to do this but we'd have to rent the venue?  (that seems the most possible to me but my knowledge is limited)  How do we get the actual film released to the theater? That's gonna involve money.  Glasses?  Etc?  

If enough of us want this, let's make it happen. 

What song is played right before the show begins?   😎

Edited by Manohlive

• Community Moderator

Perhaps we need to make some things clear about this...

Please have in mind that having a U23D screening it's not like going to Blockbuster and just grab the movie to show it somewhere... it definitely can be done and eventually a screening is doable: the last one that we are aware of was for an event at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, some years ago (but it's possible that it was screened after that event, some time later)

Just that it requires some organization to make it happen. Serious organization.

It may very well be that some movie chain decides to have it on their rotation, or perhaps a film appreciation organization picks it to show it, for any particular reason. In this case, it's merely a matter to keep waiting until it happens.

Another option is to get organized. If this is the route, be ready to make a lot of phone calls, emails and meetings.

Please understand we don't want to rain on anyone's parade on this - we also would love to watch the movie again, preferably in a theater with hundreds of fans - the best way to watch it, after all. We must insist this is something not easy or particularly fast - add to this that maybe the current circumstance dictate this is the time to begin organizing, but with months or even a year before it becomes a reality...

• Thanks 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Max Tsukino said:

we also would love to watch the movie again, preferably in a theater with hundreds of fans - the best way to watch it, after all.

Just out of interest, did anyone actually get to watch it with hundreds of fans? I saw it the day after it opened and there were only about four other people in the cinema - not much of an atmosphere.

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, Canadanne said:

Just out of interest, did anyone actually get to watch it with hundreds of fans? I saw it the day after it opened and there were only about four other people in the cinema - not much of an atmosphere.

We made a special trip to Sydney IMAX to see U23D (about 2 hours down the freeway), I don’t remember how far into its run though.

There were probably only 20 other people in the theatre (and nobody else was wearing a U2 t shirt  but me 😂😂

• Like 1

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Canadanne said:

The theater was fairly full when I saw it.  It was not IMAX, just your standard movie place where I live.  I was surprised there were that many people.  I think they had announced Vertigo was coming to my city and there was a buzz.  I could be wrong with that timing.

2 hours ago, xrayjets said:

IMAX to see U23D

I wish.  It didn't play in IMAX here but must have in Chicago, which is 90 minutes south if you know traffic.

• mich40 unpinned this topic