30th Year Anniversary of Achtung Baby

• Community Moderator
1 hour ago, Whiskey187 said:

Will there be a 2021 super deluxe version of Achtung Baby and tour?

Hello... welcome to Zootopia.

By now this is kind of a FAQ... Regarding if something will be released to commemorate the Achgtung Baby! / ZOOTV anniversary, as of right now it's something unknown - best would be to keep checking periodically the site, the official band social media accounts and Zootopia... as soon as there are some official news about any release (or re-release), you will find it here.

For the moment being, you are welcome to participate in any (or all) of the conversations from the fan community...maybe some fan made events will be organized...

• Like 1

• Subscriber
On 5/2/2021 at 3:13 AM, Whiskey187 said:

I doubt it.

They released a pretty much comprehensive edition of AB not so long ago.

Although U2 do like to flog the cash cow!

In regards to the tour they have played x10 songs from AB over the last few tours.

I hope they explore some of the other stuff on albums they rarely play.

• Subscriber
On 5/1/2021 at 10:13 PM, Whiskey187 said:

On 5/3/2021 at 2:23 PM, adrnik said:

I doubt it.

They released a pretty much comprehensive edition of AB not so long ago.

Although U2 do like to flog the cash cow!

In regards to the tour they have played x10 songs from AB over the last few tours.

I hope they explore some of the other stuff on albums they rarely play.

This topic came up before in another thread, and I'll summarize what I said there here.

IMHO, I'd be very surprised if they didn't release another set to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the release of AB. They double-dipped for JT (i.e., it got both 20th and 30th anniversary sets); thus, I expect the only other U2 album to sell more than 10 million copies worldwide to get the same treatment. There are other reasons to think this will happen too.

The last two deluxe sets released (i.e., JT and ALYCLB) not only had CD versions, but vinyl versions as well (at absolutely eye-watering prices, but I digress). In fact, I think that specific format was one of the main motivations to release these last two sets in the first place. The 20th anniversary "Uber Deluxe" AB set had the original AB album on vinyl, but none of the extra material was on vinyl. This 30th anniversary of AB would be the ideal opportunity to release the rest of that set on vinyl for those who like vinyl.

If this 30th anniversary release happens, I just hope they update the AB set better than they did for JT. The 30th anniversary of JT had a small handful of new remixes and a previously unreleased live show from the original JT tour (although, in true U2 fashion, it was not a complete show). The new concert recording was very nice to have, but, besides that and a few remixes, it was basically the same as the 20th anniversary set. The 20th ann. JT set had a wonderful DVD that the 30th ann. set did not; thus, I personally prefer the 20th ann. JT set overall.

Recapping: I hope that, if a 30th ann. AB set is released later this year, that they do a better job providing extras that are truly unique from the set of 10 years ago. The last two deluxe editions seemed to have vinyl aficionados in mind more than those who prefer CDs; I hope that the balance is better this time around with AB (if it happens) - a previously-unreleased video element in the set would be very helpful as well.

Finally, FWIW, I do think an AB-themed tour is more likely to happen than not in 2022. But, we'll find out for sure later.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • Community Moderator
5 hours ago, Carlos said:

Is there going to be another "Digital Experience" announcement which has not already been reported? 

If/when the time arrives for something official to celebrate the anniversary, be sure you will find it here on the site, U2 different official social media accounts and here...

• Like 1

• Subscriber

I think U2 dropped the ball here one more time. I purchased the Uber box 10 years ago and that was EXPENSIVE but at least the whole presentation and content justified paying for it. This release is nothing in special. We have so many remixes and that's enough. I wished we could get live performances, a remastered U2 Outside Broadcast, live tracks for the Sydney show and more, much more. U2 have all that footage and music sitting in vaults and they should share it with the fans. It makes no sense to keep it from us and repackaging old stuff we all have already. Come U2 (I don't blame the band since they are probably oblivious to this site), you can do better.

Edited by OB