Bono and Edge / Martin Garrix

• Subscriber
On 5/21/2021 at 6:47 PM, Manohlive said:

You sound like a bitter person purposely pushing buttons you know will get a rise out of others.  The comparison to Coldplay is outdated, if anything.   It's possible to say you don't care for something without coming across as looking down on the masses beneath you.  

If U2 made music they thought the fans wanted, we might never have gotten Achtung Baby or Zooropa or Passengers.  That's just silly.  No artist should create to please his or her audience.

Once again, perhaps others are choosing to look on the bright side and enjoying things for what they are. Life is much more pleasant with that approach; especially with everything we've all been through over the last 19 months. That's how the body grows old while the heart stays young.

bitter no U2 fan of nearly 40 years yes.

I'm just bored of the band I still have an interest in sounding just like a.n.other band which is what coldplay are and you'll find i'm not alone in thinking that way.

• Subscriber

On 6/24/2021 at 5:07 PM, gibbo1968 said:

sounding just like a.n.other band which is what coldplay

I couldn't disagree more but respect your right to say it.

sounding just like a.n.other band which is what coldplay are

To you, Coldplay may be just that. I disagree but respect your right to your own opinion and your right to express it here.

Me: I fell in love the moment I heard Yellow.  For me, it does not sound like U2, nor was it written to emulate them. 

How can a band (in this case, Coldplay) come out of that part of the world when they did (or any part) and not be influenced by U2?

you'll find i'm not alone in thinking that way

I do not need to find anything.  I'm already painfully aware.  It's one school of thought. 

Here is another:  There are just as many people, if not more, who absolutely love Coldplay. We are loyal and we are fierce. I've seen every tour multiple times. For the Rush of Blood to the Head tour, there were about 150 of us. They now sell out Soldier Field, which is the same venue U2 plays when it's outdoors in Chicago, multiple nights in a row. Much of this Coldplay is a cheap imitation of U2 hatred comes from people (in my experience) who don't even know many of my favorite Coldplay songs because those never get played on the radio. 

You have an opinion about U2 not being what you want them to be. Cool. I strongly disagreed, which is also cool. Why pull Coldplay into the mix and bash them?  Do what you will but know that at shows, we laugh at the people who love U2 but gotta take a cheap shot at Coldplay.  I've heard it at every show I've attended since this stupid U2/Coldplay feud/rivalry got created. It's music, not conflict. This is supposed to be fun, which I the path I choose. There is room for everyone, especially now that precious few even pay for music.

Getting back on topic:

I'm looking forward to having a chance to sit down, watch and listen to the live performance of this Martin Garrix song, to which Bono and Edge contributed.  I saw it opened the UEFA EURO 2020. I know nothing of that because I'm immersed in the NBA playoffs. My team has a very good chance of taking it all.  Many of the games are being played about a mile from where I live. When I finally see the live performance, I'll be thinking of both.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • bigwave unfeatured this topic