Euro 2021

xrayjets

• Subscriber

Football & Music. Two of the greatest things are come together this June & July.

With our very good friends The Edge & Bono featuring heavily in the official song for this years tournament, i thought it seemed like a fun idea to have a discussion thread for the tournament; like we’ve done for the World Cup in the past 😀

Who is your favourite to win ?

Who are your country’s best (and worst) players ?

Who will be the player of the tournament?

Will Bono score the penalty at the opening ceremony (or miss completely Diana Ross style 😂😂)

And just in case you not seen (or heard) the boys in action 

• Subscriber

Of course FIFA Fair Play rules apply; play nicely !

And just to top it off, The Copa America is also scheduled to start in Brazil this weekend too - if it goes ahead..

Too much football is barely enough ️ 

No sleep for me for a few weeks 

• Subscriber

I have no idea how England will do, but I'd like to tell off whoever scheduled Sunday's matches to clash with the French Open men's final. Some of us watch more than one sport :P  And that's before we mention potential schedule clashes with the Formula 1... :rolleyes:

I'm the sort of saddo that watches as many matches as I can fit in - particularly when they will involve teams like Finland and North Macedonia, who have never qualified for a major tournament before. 

Also, let's hope Spain are OK to play their first match, as their captain has come down with Covid  :( This is where I'm not a fan of UEFA insisting on sticking with the multi-country hosting idea, given the continuing pandemic. I would prefer that they had adapted their plans and opted for one host nation to minimise the risks involved with travelling all over the place and potentially picking up/spreading Covid cases along the way.

• Community Moderator
9 hours ago, xrayjets said:

Too much football is barely enough

"football is the most important of the least important things" - Jorge Valdano (allegedly) 😁😁

this being said ---> go, Los Oranje!!!

first match vs Ukraine... difficult, but not impossible...

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, xrayjets said:

Football & Music. Two of the greatest things are come together this June & July.

With our very good friends The Edge & Bono featuring heavily in the official song for this years tournament, i thought it seemed like a fun idea to have a discussion thread for the tournament; like we’ve done for the World Cup in the past 😀

Who is your favourite to win ?

Who are your country’s best (and worst) players ?

Who will be the player of the tournament?

Will Bono score the penalty at the opening ceremony (or miss completely Diana Ross style 😂😂)

And just in case you not seen (or heard) the boys in action 

Football & Music & Beer = the three greatest things!!

Favourite to win: I'd love England to win and think their chance is as good as it has been but I reckon France will be champions.

Country's best and worst players - we have a great array of attackers but the defence could be an issue but I think our problem will be midfield. 

Player of the tournament - Mbappe or even Grealish

Bono to trip over his sunglasses when taking the penalty!!!

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

"football is the most important of the least important things" - Jorge Valdano (allegedly) 😁😁

I’m no Liverpool fan, but I’ve always liked Bill Shankley’s quote

Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that

• Like 1

• Subscriber
On 6/7/2021 at 6:40 PM, Max Tsukino said:

this being said ---> go, Los Oranje!!!

first match vs Ukraine... difficult, but not impossible...

I always like the Netherlands being at tournaments because you know their fans are going to brighten the place up with those orange shirts. Even if there aren't quite so many fans at matches this time round.

And talking of Ukraine, there's a political row going on about their shirt. Russia have complained to UEFA because the Ukraine shirt for this tournament features an outline map of Ukraine that includes Crimea. Russia invaded Crimea a few years back in 2014 and regard it as theirs, despite the fact that most other countries condemned the invasion and regard Crimea as being Ukrainian. 

UEFA say they have approved the Ukraine shirt and see no problem with it. But the Russians are still complaining... this could rumble on for a while. And could make it *very* awkward if the teams end up facing each other in the knock-out rounds :unsure:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57402433

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1