Euro 2021

xrayjets

• Subscriber

My goodness…it’s only the Round of 16 and this Euro is going to go down in history for being one of the most dramatic!

The underdogs have availed themselves so well against the favored teams! No way did I foresee Switzerland beating France, doubly so after the French went up 3-1 in the 2nd half! All credit to the Swiss; they had nerves of steel.

Spain showed off a bit by scoring 6 of the 8 goals in a 5-3 extra-time victory. 😄 More seriously, though, like @Canadanne said, it’s good that that embarrassing own-goal didn’t turn out to be the difference in the game.

Wow…what is tomorrow going to bring, and the quarterfinals after that? The mind boggles. What a tournament!

• Like 1

• Community Moderator
2 hours ago, xrayjets said:

Did they play without goalkeepers ? 

one goal was courtesy of the goalkeeper... so...

<keeps crying>

• Community Manager
14 hours ago, Canadanne said:

Wow. I'm exhausted. Talk about Manic Monday!

Any chance of a nice, relaxing, drama-free England match tomorrow?

Boring 1-0 to the home team works for me...

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, Canadanne said:

Any chance of a nice, relaxing, drama-free England match tomorrow?

Of course not - it's England. If there's no drama, we're not doing it right :lol:

Also, with regards to the timing of knock-out matches, having one kick-off at 5pm and the other at 8pm makes it a little tight for broadcasters if both matches are scheduled to be shown on the same channel. If Croatia v Spain had gone to penalties yesterday, it could have disrupted ITV's showing of the France match. By the time extra time ended, they only had about quarter of an hour between the two. Likewise today, the England v Germany and Sweden v Ukraine games are both scheduled to be shown on BBC1, one after the other. If the England match goes to extra-time and/or penalties, it could cause some issues time-wise for showing the second game. 

Further reasons to hope it's decided in 90 minutes. 

• Subscriber

Congratulations, all fans of England! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

I lived there from 2009 to 2016 - so, I got to experience some of your football drama in person (I did actually witness England win a penalty shootout against Germany too while I was there - a very rare occurrence).

Mueller will be kicking himself for a while for missing his clear chance when it was still 1-0; however, on balance, this 2-0 victory was fully deserved - England just played better for 90 minutes. Poetic that the game was at Wembley as well!

Good luck in the Quarterfinal against Sweden or Ukraine. 🍀

• Like 1

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, dmway said:

Congratulations, all fans of England! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

I lived there from 2009 to 2016 - so, I got to experience some of your football drama in person (I did actually witness England win a penalty shootout against Germany too while I was there - a very rare occurrence).

Mueller will be kicking himself for a while for missing his clear chance when it was still 1-0; however, on balance, this 2-0 victory was fully deserved - England just played better for 90 minutes. Poetic that the game was at Wembley as well!

Good luck in the Quarterfinal against Sweden or Ukraine. 🍀

…and it’s Ukraine as England’s opponent in Rome in the quarterfinals!

Wow…I can’t remember a Euro tournament that has had so many underdogs win big games. Ukraine was the very last team to qualify for the Round of 16, and - ironically - they only qualified because Sweden beat Poland in the last game of the group stage.

The goals were so good in this game too. Incredible…

So, the quarterfinals:

Belgium v Italy

Switzerland v Spain

Czech Republic v Denmark

England v Ukraine 

Who gets to the semifinals? I’m not sure I can even guess now. 🤷‍♂️ I feel like Belgium and England will get through, but I simply can’t pick in the other two games.

• Like 1