Euro 2021

xrayjets

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, dmway said:

…and Ash Barty did it - she’s the Women’s Singles champion of Wimbledon 2021!

I’m sure they are celebrating in Australia! 🇦🇺 

Now, it’s all eyes on Brazil and Argentina…

Aussie Aussie Aussie !

🇦🇺🇦🇺

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, dmway said:

Now, it’s all eyes on Brazil and Argentina…

…and it’s 1-0 Argentina at halftime!

A very clever chipped goal by Angel Di Maria at the 22nd minute.

Big 2nd-half coming now…

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, dmway said:

…and it’s 1-0 Argentina at halftime!

A very clever chipped goal by Angel Di Maria at the 22nd minute.

Big 2nd-half coming now…

…and Argentina have done it! 🇦🇷 

They end their 28-year title drought, and Lionel Messi has his first title with the Argentinian National Team!

Just like in 2016 when Portugal won the Euro title to give Ronaldo his first title with his national team, it was the supporting cast that helped Messi get his title tonight. Di Maria’s goal 22 minutes in was the decisive margin.

Congratulations, Argentina and Messi! 🇦🇷

• Subscriber
On 7/10/2021 at 2:24 AM, dmway said:

Tomorrow, of course, is just that little bit bigger - we get England v Italy in the Euro final and Djokovic v Berrettini in the Men’s final at Wimbledon. And, the CONCACAF Gold Cup really gets going too!

Lots of important things to be settled this weekend…

…and now tomorrow is today!

In just a few hours now, we will know whether it will be double delight, double despair, or a little of both for Italy - the Men’s Singles Wimbledon final followed a few hours later by the Euro Final.

So, how do you think things will go?

Good luck to all! 🍀

• Like 1

• Subscriber

In terms of Wimbledon, it would be amazing if Berrettini could upset Djokovic, but realistically I can't see it happening.

Which then brings us to the mind-boggling stat that, assuming he does win today, Novak would equal Rafa Nadal and Roger Federer on 20 Grand Slam titles - when the previous men's record by Pete Sampras was 13. Rafa has that many at the French Open alone!

To think that all three of them have won that many, all in the same era (although Roger had a bit of a head-start being that little bit older)... It's amazing. And should emphasise how lucky we are to have these three. 

And you wouldn't put it past Rafa and Novak to add at least one more each - especially given Novak's record at the Australian Open.

As for the football, I'm hopeful, but nervous - and also just really proud that we've finally made it to a final. Whatever happens, England can be proud of themselves. 

Although I'm not so keen on our Prime Minister jumping on the bandwagon. He's previously not bothered with football at all, other than meeting with/ringing Marcus Rashford - and that wasn't directly to do with football, as it was to do with the free school meals campaign, which Rashford started because Johnson's government voted against extending help to disadvantaged children and families when schools were shut during the first lockdown. 

He's also previously refused to criticise the so-called "fans" who booed England for taking the knee to protest against racism, but now he's plastered Downing Street with England flags and sits in the Royal Box at Wembley wearing an England shirt (instead of the more usual suit and scarf combo that other national leaders tend to go for), trying to convince people he's been a fan all along when he probably can't name half the team! 

I really don't like it when politicians pretend to be interested in popular things to make it look like they're cool. Particularly when you know their "interest" is fake and only put on for the cameras :angry:   

(Sorry for the rant, but I had to get that off my chest). 

• Like 1

• Community Moderator
8 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

In terms of Wimbledon, it would be amazing if Berrettini could upset Djokovic, but realistically I can't see it happening.

Which then brings us to the mind-boggling stat that, assuming he does win today, Novak would equal Rafa Nadal and Roger Federer on 20 Grand Slam titles - when the previous men's record by Pete Sampras was 13. Rafa has that many at the French Open alone!

To think that all three of them have won that many, all in the same era (although Roger had a bit of a head-start being that little bit older)... It's amazing. And should emphasise how lucky we are to have these three. 

And you wouldn't put it past Rafa and Novak to add at least one more each - especially given Novak's record at the Australian Open.

As for the football, I'm hopeful, but nervous - and also just really proud that we've finally made it to a final. Whatever happens, England can be proud of themselves. 

Although I'm not so keen on our Prime Minister jumping on the bandwagon. He's previously not bothered with football at all, other than meeting with/ringing Marcus Rashford - and that wasn't directly to do with football, as it was to do with the free school meals campaign, which Rashford started because Johnson's government voted against extending help to disadvantaged children and families when schools were shut during the first lockdown. 

He's also previously refused to criticise the so-called "fans" who booed England for taking the knee to protest against racism, but now he's plastered Downing Street with England flags and sits in the Royal Box at Wembley wearing an England shirt (instead of the more usual suit and scarf combo that other national leaders tend to go for), trying to convince people he's been a fan all along when he probably can't name half the team! 

I really don't like it when politicians pretend to be interested in popular things to make it look like they're cool. Particularly when you know their "interest" is fake and only put on for the cameras :angry:   

(Sorry for the rant, but I had to get that off my chest). 

rant away... unless it goes against the Zootopia rules - and it ins't terribly off topic - that's what the board is for...

On the subject of England and this particular final... I found this Gary Lineker article on the point and quite interesting... this paragraph is really good:

I know there will always be a segment of the “fans” that won’t be so well-behaved. I don’t want to get into some of the less savoury scenes, because that is not what this piece is about, but I will say this.

Booing? Really? Come on, we’re better than that.

Sing songs, get drunk, throw pints, have fun. That’s what we do. That’s our culture.

But when you boo other national anthems and our own boys taking the knee … when you act out your worst impulses, often in the name of “patriotism,” honestly most of us are embarrassed by it.

You can call yourself a patriot, but that’s not what the word means to me. As someone who loves England deeply and is proud to have represented this country 80 times, my view is that true patriotism comes from caring about the values that not only your country has, but also those it aspires to hold.

It irritates me when basic ideas of empathy and conscience are twisted into notions of anti-Englishness, when in fact those values are among the most English of all.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/gary-lineker-england-uefa-european-championship-final

• Like 1