Euro 2021

xrayjets

• Subscriber
On 7/9/2021 at 8:58 PM, Canadanne said:

I will be rooting for him in the final!

I am so sorry for him... and for you, really.

I don't know what to say, honestly... ūüė≥

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, seresere said:

I am so sorry for him... and for you, really.

I don't know what to say, honestly... ūüė≥

It would have been a huge surprise if England won tonight. I'm really just delighted that we got further than the '96 team and didn't get totally thrashed in the final. I wish the players felt as positive about it as I do!

Congrats to Italy, I am happy for them. :)

• Like 1

• Subscriber

England and penalties just don't go together :( 

Gareth Southgate has been through it himself and knows exactly how Saka (and Rashford and Sancho) will be feeling, so hopefully he'll be able to help them cope with it. 

Credit to Italy, they had a great tournament overall and are worthy winners. Although I was *not* happy with Chiellini's foul on Saka - that could have been a red card. 

But overall, they were the better team. Although England can be confident looking forward to the World Cup next year. We've done well, had a good run and hopefully that bodes well for the future.

• Like 1

• Subscriber

What a tournament it‚Äôs been ūü§Į

Congratulations to Italy and commiserations England.

And England you should be proud of your team what an amazing performance to reach the final  ! 

What a time we live in too, when we can marvel at Ronaldo, Modric, Kane, Mbappé and Chiesa all playing at the same tournament. And I haven’t even mentioned amazing players in the Copa America !

Lets all meet again next year for the World Cup in Qatar for the beautiful game..

• Like 3

• Subscriber

I'm glad to read that people here are proud of the players on England's squad - that's the reaction that they deserve. (And certainly better than the pre-game storming of the stadium:

https://global.espn.com/football/uefa-european-championship/story/4430638/euro-2020-final-fans-try-to-storm-wembley-before-italy-vs-england  )

England has come so far since 2016 (doesn't the game with Iceland seem like another lifetime ago?) - they finished 4th in the last World Cup, they finished 3rd in the most recent UEFA Nations League, and now they have finished runners-up in the next most difficult tournament to win to the World Cup, the Euro. They, and their fans, should be nothing but optimistic about next year and beyond - heck, just look at the trend - 4th, 3rd, 2nd...?

This was also nothing but inspirational for Italy too. I still can't quite get my head around the fact that they didn't qualify for the last World Cup. Italy is a country I expect to be in every World Cup like Germany or Brazil, but they missed the last one. Also, this is the first Euro they have won since...1968! I had no idea that they had gone so long without winning the Euro - they have won more World Cups since 1968 than Euro competitions!

Well, heartfelt congratulations to both teams - they both deserved to be in the game, and Italy just played that little bit better.

Next year should have a great World Cup!

• Like 2

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, xrayjets said:

Lets all meet again next year for the World Cup in Qatar for the beautiful game..

Well, if you are craving more football, the CONCACAF Gold Cup has started and has already yielded unexpected results! Look for the dedicated thread in this area if you wish to keep up with things. ūüėé ‚öĹ

• Like 1

• Subscriber

I don't want to give attention to the racist morons who've been sending horrible words to our players. But I would like to highlight how the community in Manchester have responded to the defacing of a mural of Marcus Rashford.

Not only was the abusive graffiti covered up as soon as it was found, but through the day, local people have been covering the covering fabric with hearts, England flags and supportive messages for Rashford and his team-mates. Which says a lot. Whoever put the graffiti there snuck along in the dark, but in the day-time, lots of people have been showing that they will not tolerate abusive messages. 

The sad part is that some of the people sending such hate to Marcus Rashford may themselves have benefitted from his campaigning about free school meals. But as Harry Kane (and others) have said, the hateful, abusive people are not England fans. They cannot call themselves fans if their response to a defeat is to resort to bullying and abuse of our own players.

I hope action can be taken against them, but I'm also hopeful for the future - most fans are horrified by what has been written/posted by these trolls, which hopefully means that this racism can be tackled by ordinary fans as well as by the authorities. Something as simple as being brave enough to tell the person in the next seat to stop shouting racist words at a player, or reporting comments you see on a club's social media posts... small things, but hopefully, if enough of us can take those steps, the message will start to get through that racism is not OK. In a football stadium or anywhere else.    

• Brilliant 3