•  

Stories of Surrender Book Tour Zoo Header - Madrid.jpg

CONCACAF Gold Cup (and more!)

dmway

• Subscriber
On 8/14/2021 at 7:58 PM, xrayjets said:

Being an Arsenal fan, I hate football. 

On 8/15/2021 at 7:05 AM, padawanbeck84 said:

Manchester United got their season off to a good start with a 5-1 win against Leeds yesterday :) Whisper it quietly, but I think we've got a good chance of silverware this season.

On a more light-hearted note, it always amuses me to hear interviews with Ole - he's been in Manchester so long, he's got a noticeable northern twang to his accent :D  Although my local paper *still* sometimes has trouble spelling "Solskjaer" correctly :rolleyes:

And (with apologies to @xrayjets) I was so pleased for Brentford, getting a dream win in front of their first full stadium for 18 months. The last time they were in the English top division was 1947, so it was lovely that their fans got to enjoy such a historical moment in the stadium. Maybe having the fans back also spurred the players on to produce such a good result. 

It will be interesting to see how the season develops. I'm already a bit worried for Aston Villa now that Jack Grealish has left. And Rafa Benitez being at Everton will take a bit of getting used to. I believe the Liverpool fans will still be respectful towards him, given everything he achieved with them, and he's diplomatic enough that I think any Everton fans who do have doubts will warm to him. Yesterday's result will certainly have helped in that respect. 

Is there interest in starting a separate Premier League thread? If so, I (or someone/anyone else) could make one.

With the CONCACAF Champions League and World Cup qualifiers coming up, there should be enough action in this thread for it to stand alone.

Let me know, or start one yourself! ️ 

Edited by dmway
  • Like 1

• Community Moderator
1 minute ago, dmway said:

Is there interest in starting a separate Premier League thread? If so, I (or someone/anyone else) could make one

It's probably better to have just one thread for football... or, if there's enough interest, to make it for general sports...

• Like 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Max Tsukino said:

It's probably better to have just one thread for football... or, if there's enough interest, to make it for general sports...

Maybe we can do that then. Thanks!

• Like 1

• Subscriber

Ok - let the thread continue for all sports, especially soccer/football. 😄

Well, I hate to bring it up, but I was quite thrilled with our 2-0 victory today. I always thought that Lukaku was not given a proper chance the first time round with Chelsea - now he can make amends, and he has already started. James with a wonderful follow-up goal a bit later. A wonderful effort all around. I would say cheer up to any Arsenal fans, but you might have to wait a few weeks for that…your next fixture is away at Man City. Oh dear…

• Like 1

• Subscriber

Talking of football, some hopeful news here as Australian authorities have helped around 50 Afghan sportspeople evacuate safely out of the country. The group includes both the senior and youth players from the Afghanistan national women's football team:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58317373

Hopefully, whether they settle in Australia or other countries, they will all be safe - and hopefully be able to keep on playing/competing in their various sports. 

• Brilliant 1

• Subscriber

This post applies to the "(and more)!" section of the title of this thread. 😄

In North America, we have a tradition of having "All-Star" games in the middle of our sporting seasons (for American football, it's played the week before the Super Bowl - I can't remember if the Canadian Football League has one (yes, those living outside North America, Canada has their own football league - it's like American football, but with some differences in field size, number of plays per possession, size of the ball itself, number of players per side on the field, and number of ways points can be scored)).

Anyway, the all-stars of the professional soccer league of the USA and Canada (i.e., MLS) and their all-star counterparts from Liga MX played each other last night. They were tied 1-1 at the end of regulation; however, in penalty kicks (no extra time/overtime was played before them), the MLS All-Stars defeated the Liga MX All-Stars, 3-2! 😎

Really, this game is just for bragging rights for the two leagues; the Champions League games that I talked about earlier in the thread are much more meaningful. By the way, continuing tangentially, there has been a lot of off-the-record talk recently that these two leagues may unify someday. At some point, I really think this will happen, and it would tangibly benefit the teams of both leagues. Over time, this new unified league would become a force to be reckoned with internationally. No, this new league wouldn't become the same quality as the domestic leagues in England, Germany, Spain, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, etc. immediately; however, its profile would only increase over time. It would be a very attractive option for players in Central America and even for players for countries in South America outside of Brazil and Argentina (although it should be pointed out that both leagues already have players from both of the South American powerhouse countries). Exciting times...

Anyway, congratulations again to the MLS All-Stars!

• Subscriber

Manchester United have just announced we are re-signing Cristiano Ronaldo! :o

Did not see that coming - all the rumours had been suggesting he might go to City. Presumably he didn't want to get into our bad books by signing for the neighbours  :P 

And I understand Bruno Fernandes played a part in making it happen :D

He's getting on a bit age-wise, but he does look after himself pretty well, so I think it could be a smart move. I hope the Megastore staff are ready to put in some overtime, as I have a feeling they'll be rushed off their feet in the next few days with everyone wanting shirts  :lol:

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, xrayjets said:

It’s not gone well.

Yes, I saw….my condolences.

Away at Man City is always a very challenging fixture, doubly so if your team isn’t playing in its top form. I hope people aren’t too hasty with Arteta yet. There are two games after the international break that Arsenal should win - now, if they underperform in those games, then, yes, you may need a change at the top. Not scoring a goal in three games, of course, is not very impressive; having said that, in the last two games, Arsenal just played better teams. Man City and Chelsea, IMHO, are virtual locks for Top 4, with MC still the team most likely to win the League again. Yes, the Brentford result is a bit embarrassing; however, every team has an unexpected loss or two every season. Let’s see how the post-international games go.

All in all, I was hoping for a draw with the game away at Liverpool, and that’s what we got. The James red card incident was unfortunate, but we got through it. Let’s see what the games in September bring…

• Subscriber

Mayhem at the Brazil v Argentina World Cup Qualifying match  :o

Brazilian health officials forced the match to be stopped 5 minutes after kick-off, claiming that several of the Argentina players should be in quarantine, having arrived for international duty from the UK. Britain is on Brazil's red list of countries that require you to quarantine when arriving in Brazil. 

The match was subsequently abandoned and FIFA are now investigating to work out whether either side should be punished - and what to do about rescheduling the match (if they can). 

It also raises questions about why the Brazilian officials couldn't have notified Argentina earlier in the day, instead of basically invading the pitch to get the game stopped  :rolleyes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58431607