Tokyo Olympics

Canadanne

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, padawanbeck84 said:

No chanting rude songs at the ref, please :P :lol:

(Is that a thing in Australia? Do you have specific songs calling the ref unprintable words? Or is that just a British thing?)  

Yeah we do that too 😎

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
On 8/3/2021 at 11:06 PM, dmway said:

...and since you have prevailed, you get Spain in the Gold Medal game! Congratulations and good luck! 🍀

And we beat Spain! 

• Brilliant 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I'm proud of the gold medal for the Belgian hockey team. "We" beat Australia in the final. It was the result of many years of hard work.  

The gold medal follows the silver one in 2016. 

• Like 3

• Subscriber
On 8/3/2021 at 10:05 PM, dmway said:

Please win the Bronze Medal - you deserve some kind of tangible result for your efforts this very-crowded football year (however, I wonder if the football gods have it in for you this year - you get to play in the Bronze Medal game, but you have to play...Japan...the host team... 😬 ). Good luck! 🍀

...and you won the Bronze Medal, @Max Tsukino! I was very glad to see that!

Yes, I know you will be less excited than you were in 2012, but, with the weirdness that was 2020 leading Mexico to have to split their best players between two tournaments this year, I'm glad you got something tangible in the Olympics.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, andryu2 said:

And we beat Spain! 

You did - I got to see a replay of that game, and you deserved to win! Congratulations! 😎

• Like 1

• Subscriber

It took all of the Olympic days to do it, but we finally surpassed China in gold medals! 😎 🥇 The official count:

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/all-sports/medal-standings.htm

The clincher was the Women's Volleyball team's finally winning the Gold Medal after many times of just coming short. They won all three sets against Brazil to win the gold! (All condolences to @andryu2 - you did beat us in the gold medal game twice before in the past, so things are a little more even now.)

This win came shortly after our Women's basketball team won their seventh straight gold medal, tying the longest streak ever in the Olympic games! Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi have now won 5 consecutive gold medals in the last 5 Olympic games - so, they also have among the longest streaks ever individually. This team has not lost a game at the Olympics since 1992 - quite a streak...

An extra bonus was seeing Megan Rapinoe getting to see the win. Sue Bird and she are engaged - being together for that game must have been a wonderful moment for them!

More thoughts later - I got tied up in watching and less so in commenting for the past few days. Watching the Olympics is always a rejuvenating experience - the whole world just feels better when they are on. And, an accidental fringe benefit of the delay from last year is that it is only a few months now until the next Winter Olympics! (Stay far, far away from China, all variants of COVID!)

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

• Subscriber

Wow, so much drama in the final day at the velodrome. Laura Kenny was our big gold medal hope in the omnium, but as soon as the BBC started hyping her up just beforehand, I *knew* she would get taken out in a crash. Sure enough, there was a huge pile-up near the end of the scratch race and Laura was among the fallers! Thankfully she was OK and still got some points, but obviously had some catching up to do, and then she got boxed in and went out quite early in the :MacPhisto_03: elimination race (though I'm not convinced she actually was the hindmost when they pulled her out of it - there was another dubious judgement earlier in that race too). She tried her best in the points race but just couldn't do enough to get a medal. So thank goodness for her husband Jason!  He has looked like a spent force this week and I wasn't expecting him to even make the keirin final, but he did, and won the gold by just sprinting off and leaving his rivals in the dust. A total surprise and a joy!  It was lovely how the other two medallists lifted him up on the podium. :)

GB then picked up a final gold medal when Lauren Price won her boxing final. This all meant we finished a fabulous 4th on the medal table!

I'm so glad the Games went ahead successfully. As far as I know there haven't been any major outbreaks of Covid there, so whatever measures they put in place must have been effective. Bring on the Paralympics! (But first let me get some sleep.....)

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Canadanne said:

Wow, so much drama in the final day at the velodrome. Laura Kenny was our big gold medal hope in the omnium, but as soon as the BBC started hyping her up just beforehand, I *knew* she would get taken out in a crash.

The commentator's curse has seemed quite strong at these Games at times :wacko: 

During the show-jumping section of the Modern Pentathlon, every time the commentator mentioned the possibility of a clear round or a good score, the rider in question would have a fence come down. And similar with the main show-jumping events. I know the courses were especially tough for the teams and individual events, but still, the commentators seemed to jinx some of the riders by wondering aloud if they might be the one to get a clear round... 

And that was just in the equestrian department... I can understand commentators getting excited and talking up medal hopes, but inevitably they seem to have the opposite effect. 

Has anyone ever done a scientific study on this? It has happened a couple of times this year in motor racing too - which makes me even more convinced that commentator's curse is an actual, provable thing :lol:

I liked the closing ceremony today, too. It was quite emotional at times. 

• Like 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

I liked the closing ceremony today, too. It was quite emotional at times. 

The thing that got to me was the BBC's "end credits" montage with footage of the athletes arriving home and showing their medals to their young children!

• Like 2

• Subscriber

I was not online much for the second half of the Olympics but enjoyed them every much.  There were a lot of touching moments.  I was happy to see Italy take the 4X100 medley, among other things.  It was nice.  I did not think I'd enjoy these Olympics but I did.  It's nice to read posts in here about them.  

• Like 2