Tokyo Olympics

Canadanne

• Subscriber

I'm happy that the overwhelming majority of people are understanding why Simone Biles pulled out of the team competition this morning. I'm glad that people are taking mental fitness as seriously as physical fitness in today's world. Congratulations to the team for winning the silver medal - also to the Russian team for winning the gold and for Team GB for winning the bronze.

• Like 4

• Subscriber

Several more bronze medals over the past couple of days - one for taekwondo (after an agonising last-second defeat in the semifinal, very reminiscent of Lutalo Muhammad in Rio!), a surprise medal in the women's team gymnastics, and Charlotte Dujardin adds to her dressage medal collection in both the team and individual events. We are also guaranteed at least one medal in the boxing as Karriss Artingstall is through to the semifinals.

Gutted about the men's four this morning - we've had that gold medal since 2000 so it really felt like "ours" and I've always been desperate to see us defend it. Unfortunately we not only lost it this time, but didn't get a medal at all after a major steering disaster as we raced for the line! Oh well... at least we weren't even close to winning the gold. I think it would have been more agonising if we'd finished second by a narrow margin! The men's quad sculls picked up a silver which helped to make up for it.

What a fantastic relay gold for GB in the pool this morning, a whisker away from the world record too!  Loved James Guy crying like a baby when they won, and again when he got his medal. :)

• Like 1

• Subscriber
On 7/26/2021 at 4:00 AM, Canadanne said:

So happy for Tom Daley who finally got one at his fourth Olympics - I was in tears watching their celebrations!

Likewise.  Hard to believe he is married and has a kid.  

On 7/26/2021 at 2:14 AM, dmway said:

The swimming rivalry with Australia is heating up nicely!

It has been fun.  Go Lydia Jacoby.  The reactions from Seward, Alaska are a lot of fun to watch. 

• Like 1

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Manohlive said:

It has been fun.  Go Lydia Jacoby.  The reactions from Seward, Alaska are a lot of fun to watch. 

How she became a top-notch swimmer with the dearth of proper-sized pools in Alaska makes her accomplishment all the more mind-blowing... That's one of those results that make the Olympics so special, i.e., it seems like there are just too many obstacles for Olympic success to ever happen to a particular individual...and then it happens anyway. And every Olympics is chock-full of these examples. The Olympics rule... 🤘

• Like 2

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, mich40 said:

Woohoo!!! Sunisa Lee just got the gold in women’s gymnastics! 

Amazing.  I missed it but am watching highlights.  I'm hoping they'll play some with tonight's coverage.