•  

Stories of Surrender Book Tour Zoo Header - Madrid.jpg

Tokyo Olympics

Canadanne

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, xrayjets said:

Not being shown here. 

I put a link that may help you out in the Gold Cup thread. If it doesn't, my apologies in advance.

OK - back to the Olympics!

The golf is really coming down to the wire right now...

• Like 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, dmway said:

I put a link that may help you out in the Gold Cup thread. If it doesn't, my apologies in advance.

OK - back to the Olympics!

The golf is really coming down to the wire right now...

My goodness! Very high drama at the end of the final round of the golf!

Xander Schauffele of the USA managed to win the Gold Medal! He was -18 for the four rounds. Congratulations to him!

However, almost overshadowing his win are the stories behind 2nd and 3rd! Winning the Silver Medal is Rory Sabbatini of Slovakia. He started the day in 17th place - he proceeded to shoot a ten-under-par 61 to end up -17. Only Schauffele’s final putt on the 18th green prevented a playoff being needed for the Gold Medal! His 61 beat the previous Olympic record for any round of golf by two full strokes! Congratulations to Rory!

Now, 3rd is a bit of surprise…SEVEN different golfers have tied for third! There will now be a seven-player playoff for the Bronze Medal! Among the seven are: 

Collin Morikawa (USA - he just won The Open in the UK), Paul Casey (GB), Rory McIlroy (IRL), and Hideki Matsuyama (the home country favorite from Japan who also just won The Masters this year)! And three other golfers. But, my goodness, the talent in the group of people battling for the Bronze!

I’ll try to update later…

…and the later update is that one of the other three ended up with the Bronze Medal! 😄

C.T. Pan of Chinese Taipei (a.k.a., Taiwan) won the bronze on the fourth playoff hole. The first playoff hole claimed Matsuyama and Casey, and the third playoff hole eliminated everyone except Pan and Morikawa. Pan beat Morikawa on the fourth hole. Congratulations to him!

Edited by dmway
  • Brilliant 1

• Subscriber

Also, well done Alexander Zverev on winning gold for Germany in the men's singles tennis. He's the first German man to win gold in tennis - Steffi Graf won the women's singles in the 1988 Olympics.

When Andy Murray won gold at the 2012 Olympics, that seemed to give him the confidence to go on and start winning Grand Slam titles, so maybe the same will happen for Zverev?  

• Like 1

• Subscriber

Beautiful scenes in the men's high jump final! There was no separating the ever-amazing Barshim and his Italian rival Tamberi, so they were going to have a jump-off, but Barshim asked if they could just share the gold instead. The official confirmed it was possible, and Barshim indicated he was happy to do so - Tamberi leapt into his arms joyfully and there wasn't a dry eye in the stadium!

....and now Tamberi is celebrating again as his teammate wins the men's 100m!  :D

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

• Subscriber

Bobby Finke taking the 800 and 1500 m was awesome.  I watched late but it was a great day for swimming-USA and Australia.  I wish I had seen the BMX stuff.  I'm always watching BMX normally.  I love it. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Canadanne said:

Beautiful scenes in the men's high jump final! There was no separating the ever-amazing Barshim and his Italian rival Tamberi, so they were going to have a jump-off, but Barshim asked if they could just share the gold instead. The official confirmed it was possible, and Barshim indicated he was happy to do so - Tamberi leapt into his arms joyfully and there wasn't a dry eye in the stadium!

....and now Tamberi is celebrating again as his teammate wins the men's 100m!  :D

It's difficult to find the words to describe it but it's history for my country!

Beautiful scenes, I like the Olympic spirit that I've seen today. :)

• Like 1

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, seresere said:

It's difficult to find the words to describe it but it's history for my country!

I cannot remember his name but Italy's swimmer did really well in the 1500 meter race yesterday.  He was fourth, I believe, in what they are calling one of the best 1500 mens 1500 meter races ever.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, seresere said:

Beautiful scenes, I like the Olympic spirit that I've seen today. :)

Our commentator said something about Italy having won the high jump, the 100m, the Euros and the Eurovision Song Contest this year. The Grand Slam! :D

I've enjoyed watching Mutaz Barshim for a few years but I didn't realise he was also such a great friend: https://spikes.worldathletics.org/post/gianmarco-tamberi-my-friend-mutaz
Those guys! ❤️

Someone on Twitter pointed out how well it fits the new Olympic motto of "Faster, Higher, Stronger - Together".