Tokyo Olympics

Canadanne

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, andryu2 said:

Brazil is going to face Mexico in the next soccer game! 

Yes - you two are in the semifinals of Men's football! (I hope that @Max Tsukino isn't fretting too much about the match-up.) The winner of your game plays the winner of Spain v Japan for the Gold Medal! 😊

Edited by dmway
  • Like 1

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, dmway said:

The winner of your game plays the winner of Spain v New Zealand (how the heck did NZ get to the other semifinal?) for the Gold Medal!

Isn't it Spain v Japan...?

• Thanks 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Canadanne said:

Isn't it Spain v Japan...?

Yes, it is - I accidentally looked at the quarterfinal matchups. I fixed it above now. 👍

• Like 1

• Community Moderator
4 hours ago, dmway said:

Yes - you two are in the semifinals of Men's football! (I hope that @Max Tsukino isn't fretting too much about the match-up.) The winner of your game plays the winner of Spain v Japan for the Gold Medal! 😊

kermit worried.jpg

• Haha 2

• Subscriber

Congratulations to Canada. They converted their one shot to win 1-0 on a late penalty kick.

The penalty was truly a fluke and completely against the run of play. One of our defenders went to clear a ball played in long, and, as she went to kick it, one of Canada’s players stuck in her leg, our defender unintentionally kicked the back of her leg inside the penalty area. The referee did not call a penalty in real time; VAR made it one. The penalty was well struck against our reserve keeper (our stellar starting one hurt her right knee in the first half). 

The football gods decreed we weren’t going to win this game. We carried the play most of the game, but just couldn’t finish. The epitaph to their run will be simply that they couldn’t generate enough offense. Some of our key players are just getting too close to the ends of their careers too. In the next women’s World Cup in 2023, there will be quite a few new faces.

Time to turn our thoughts to the bronze medal game. Good luck to all the remaining teams.

• Brilliant 1

• Subscriber
58 minutes ago, Canadanne said:

Gold for GB's eventing team! Can we pick up more medals in the individual final?

Yes we could - silver for Tom McEwen!

We've also just won a stunning silver in the women's weightlifting, beaten only by the incredible Chinese lifter who clearly had it sewn up from the outset! (Is there anything she can't lift?!)

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I cannot remember his name but Italy's swimmer did really well in the 1500 meter race yesterday.  He was fourth, I believe, in what they are calling one of the best 1500 mens 1500 meter races ever.

I think you mean Paltrinieri, Gregorio Paltrinieri. I like him. :)
Silver in the 800 meter in Tokyo, if I am not going wrong.

I just want to mention another Silver today,
Vanessa Ferrari. She absolutely deserves it!!

0b63ba4f6c101901e1779658163dc0d6.jpg

Congrats to Carey too.
But I am sad for Simone, Simone Biles. She deserves Respect.

Edited by seresere
  • Like 3