Rumor of AB commemoration for November

• Subscriber

@Carlos mentioned it on the front page, so I thought it would be worth it to start a thread here. Here is the story from U2songs:

https://www.u2songs.com/news/rumours_achtung_baby_at_30

I really like some things being discussed in the body of the story and am also less fond of others - however, overall, I'm glad that AB is being revisited again. Apparently, more news about the November commemoration and beyond will be coming next month. ūüĎć

• Like 1

• Subscriber

Although I am glad AB will be celebrated this year its hard to think what is left that they can release that isn't already available.

The box sets released for the 20th anniversary were very comprehensive and then there was the film 'From the Sky down' which included every album track.

I am pleased there isn't a tour based on AB as well as the band have played x10 songs over the last few tours and they have become reliant on the material from AB. 

I guess I am struggling to see what could be done without it being another fleecing the fans for more money exercise!

• Like 1

• Subscriber
On 7/28/2021 at 5:05 PM, adrnik said:

Although I am glad AB will be celebrated this year its hard to think what is left that they can release that isn't already available.

The box sets released for the 20th anniversary were very comprehensive and then there was the film 'From the Sky down' which included every album track.

I am pleased there isn't a tour based on AB as well as the band have played x10 songs over the last few tours and they have become reliant on the material from AB. 

I guess I am struggling to see what could be done without it being another fleecing the fans for more money exercise!

There were other shows that were recorded from the ZooTV days (e.g., Washington, DC) that could be released. They also filmed some of their shows when ZooTV was still an arena tour - the setlists were a little different then too. There is still more out there from a video point of view.

However, audio-wise, yes - AB has been explored about as deeply as can be. The only thing they could put out additionally¬†would be to release everything that¬†the old ‚ÄúAxtung Beibi‚Ä̬†bootleg was based on (no, I‚Äôm not seriously lobbying for that).

It’ll be nice to see what may be coming. If they do release another set for AB, I hope they do a better job than they did for the last two sets for JT and ATYCLB, both of which seemed a bit perfunctory. Video extras would really have to be part of such an updated AB set; in terms of audio, they really could only released a previously-unreleased concert - a whole lot of those were recorded too.

• Brilliant 1

• Subscriber

I love AB, but the priority now should be new songs.

By the way, what can be added to the Uber deluxe box set? Please let's look at the future now, not the past. 

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Malahide said:

I love AB, but the priority now should be new songs.

By the way, what can be added to the Uber deluxe box set? Please let's look at the future now, not the past. 

Well, looking at the future and commemorating your past are not mutually exclusive things - one can easily do both at the same time: for example, the band releasing the 30th anniversary set for JT (and touring in support of it) didn’t prevent them from working on and finishing SOE.

I mentioned above things that could still be released.¬†Another show that was definitely filmed was the ‚ÄúStop Sellafield‚ÄĚ show. Also, there are people who didn‚Äôt get the AB set 10 years ago who would purchase an updated one.

Personally, I’m ambivalent about another set being released for AB. If it has enough new on it that I like, I would get it. If not, I’m quite satisfied with the 20th anniversary set. Just because the band releases something doesn’t obligate all fans to buy it.

I’m looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

• Subscriber

I didn't mean that they never should look back again. But right now I feel there is need for new material: a strong new album with which the band can tour.

After that they could be celebrating Achtung Baby, also live. But please not the other way around. New work should have priority in my opinion.

• Like 1

• Subscriber

I agree with a strong new album for a new tour being ideal.  The things I got from the U2songs article were:  a new digital experience-that sounds promising, as it is U2.  I also like the history of AB being explored in its birth and its roots in Berlin. I'm much more interested in that than I am any new audio/video from that time. 

22 hours ago, dmway said:

ATYCLB

I'm glad they released the scaled down CD version of the All That You Can't Leave Behind 20th release. I'm very happy to have the Boston show on CD, even though it's not the full thing. Stay/Bad/Streets is a pivotal U2 live moment, at least for me. If they do more with AB, I hope they release scaled down CD versions again as well.   The necklace they sold for ATYCLB 20 is beautiful.  i absolutely love mine. The Joshua Tree 30 bracelet is also very nice.  I love mine.  I'd like to see them offer more merchandise like that for AB.  A book exploring and explaining, with behind the scene stories of what AB came to be, would be wonderful. I'd also like to see them tie all of it into Zooropa.  

• Like 1

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Malahide said:

I didn't mean that they never should look back again. But right now I feel there is need for new material: a strong new album with which the band can tour.

After that they could be celebrating Achtung Baby, also live. But please not the other way around. New work should have priority in my opinion.

Right, but 2021 in particular is the 30th anniversary of AB. So, any 30th anniversary commemoration would have to be this year - that was the point of the original article and of my creating this thread, i.e., discussing how they might choose to celebrate it this year based on what was said in the article.

Another reason, in addition to the posts above, they might choose to release a new set for the 30th anniversary for AB is expanding the formats in which things are available. The last two deluxe sets (i.e., JT 30th / ATYCLB 20th) seem to have been conceived primarily to release everything on vinyl; the CD sets of both seem to have been more of an afterthought. The original AB has been released on vinyl; however, all of the extra audio on the Super Deluxe/Uber Deluxe 20th anniversary sets has not been - this 30th anniversary would be the ideal time to do so; they did the same thing with the JT extra material, i.e., they released the stuff that was on CD for the 20th anniversary set on vinyl for the 30th.

I'm intrigued to see what is coming - we'll know pretty soon.

• Like 2