'COMPLETE' The 2023/2024 Gift for U2.com Subscribers

U2Community

• Community Moderator

I’m very much looking forward to this. Sure we can find the lyrics on this site, multiple lyric sites, even in the liner notes from the vinyls and CDs; but I have never been disappointed with any of the official book releases, including the subscriber ones. They are always nicely done and worth it. Even if this were just a mass release, like the Paul McCartney Lyrics book, I’d buy it. I’m still a “book over electronic e-books” person and this will be like a book(s) that I  can savor and read the lyrics like poetry. 

• Like 2
  • Brilliant 2
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I’m kind of looking forward to this one, if it’s done well. And usually the print side of the gifts are done very well.

Many artists are putting lyric books out now for $50-$100 in stores. They include all the lyrics, plus photos, stories about the songs etc., all things U2 have implied will be included here in the brief announcement. I’m hoping we get some cool extras which will take this far beyond what they offer in the lyrics section online.

If anything I’m surprised U2 are doing it as a fan club only gift, since these tend to sell very well…if they did this as a commercial release I’d be picking it up. Yes, I would prefer music, I always do, but not surprised to see them keep trying something different after all the complaints on previous gifts.

Few more details on what other artists have been doing here: https://www.u2songs.com/news/u2_lyrics_for_fan_club_gift

• Brilliant 3

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, AJ2 said:

Few more details on what other artists have been doing here: https://www.u2songs.com/news/u2_lyrics_for_fan_club_gift

Thank you, that is an interesting article. It seems to me that U2 have stopped moving forward and are very actively looking back. I can't shake the feeling that the end is in sight for the band.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, CorkVegan said:

Thank you, that is an interesting article. It seems to me that U2 have stopped moving forward and are very actively looking back. I can't shake the feeling that the end is in sight for the band.

It’s been pretty clear to me for a while now that they want to tell their story while they are still active as a band and can. They still have all their original members, they can all have a say in documentation of a long career. Sounds like they want to do some fresh stuff going forward, which I look forward to but I’ve been enjoying some of the backwards looks…

• Like 3

• Community Moderator

Perhaps these tweets can give another perspective on why this gift and not something else… It could very well be something that might be a factor…

16042023 001.png

full thread: https://twitter.com/u2gigs/status/1647623399588630528

I'm one of those that are waiting for it… not only to have in hand the lyrics, stories, and photos… I want to see how it will look. Judging solely from the cover, I am quite curious about the final object…

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

The cover is interesting. Sure it has images from the Boy album, but the font and bright colours and 2x2 grid scream Pop to me…which won’t be included in this first volume…

I wonder if the second volume will include photos from 1997 as it will be the start of that era. And there’s room to eventually do a 2023 on volume with some modern photos…

Does Passengers enter the mix? Will it include lyrics Bono has written for others?  What about lyrics others have written for U2 like “The Ground Beneath Her Feet”? 

• Subscriber

It is after all a gift and one should always be grateful on receipt of a gift.  However , this is absurd, a waster of time producing, save the paper and ink please. So many options on keeping the live music tradition going. 

unforgettable fire or JT 2017 & 19 would have been so welcomed  

truly dumbfounded by this decision 

• thumbs up 1