unknown caller meaning

hi everyone

this is my favourite song from the album.

i just love it.

does anyone know what its actually about? the lyrics are kinda confusing to me..

i just broke free from a 'toxic' relationship and there are particular lyrics that inspire me to move on...

"Restart and re-boot yourself

You're free to go

Oh, oh

Shout for joy if you get the chance"

because its been hard for me to move on because i very much loved this person.

this song brings me comfort in a strange way.

what is the song about? anybody care to burst my bubble and tell me its some sort of political song and the meaning i draw from it is completely meaningless :D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that, as with every U2 song, it feels like Bono has a personal message for everyone listening to the song ;-)

But I think the general message of UC is indeed the "release, restart, reboot. You're free to go".

In the book that comes with the deluxe edition Bono says that he wrote the song with a character in mind, which is the same character as the one in Moment ofSurrender. It's a soldier who came back from a mission traumatised and completely lost control over his life, but also took his wife down with him. UCstart at the point where he has hit rock bottom and just at the moment when he's ready to give up on life completely, his cell phone starts talking to him.A computervoice tells him he's free to go. To close the past, remove it from his memory (force-quit and move to trash) and reboot. I love the message ofthis song, (but I still have to get used to the song itself).'

I think the whole album is about being reborn in some way. It can feel that way if you're coming out of a relationship, you have to change all your plansand dreams and start over completely. It's nice to get support from Bono isn't it?wink.gif

I really can't understand the people who gave this album a negative review, Especially Time Magazine.

Unknown Caller is one of the "gem" of the album....

Jeremiah 3:33 (3:33 when the numbers fell of the clock face) quote :

Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.

Its a connection of Moment of Surrender I agree,

its like you lost your "own identity" everyone seems to judge you from a bad relationship, bad decision and even you call God

the answer is "no" (Yes Even God..lol)

but.. its an optimistic song about. Rebirth. Reborn and Swimming to a Pool of Sorrows.

viv26 wrote:

I think the whole album is about being reborn in some way. It can feel that way if you're coming out of a relationship, you have to change all your plans and dreams and start over completely. It's nice to get support from Bono isn't it?
wink.gif

Yes it feels like i am being forced to quit and move to trash... i never wanted out of the relationship, but i was the one who initiated the breakup because i couldn't handle it anymore... we kept hurting each other in the end because it just wasn't working.

That's a really good meaning behind the song though. But the general theme of release and rebirth is very strong and can touch people on many levels, as ithas touched me.

You're reply moved me to tears. Thank you very much.

Unfortunately you're reading too much into this song as it is plainly a plea from Bono regarding the ongoing safety of U2's older fans when in theirhomes on their own. I have summarised it as such....

What signs to look out for....

Unknown callers may be smartly dressed, young or old, male or female and may claim to be from the council, the police, gas, water or electricity companies.Sometimes they may want to use the phone or ask for a drink of water.

If you are not expecting the caller (otherwise known as the unknown caller), remember to:

* use a security bar or chain

* check their identification

* ask them to call back when you have someone with you

Fairly obvious really !!

• Subscriber

voxxiegirl wrote:

hi everyone

this is my favourite song from the album.

i just love it.

does anyone know what its actually about? the lyrics are kinda confusing to me..

i just broke free from a 'toxic' relationship and there are particular lyrics that inspire me to move on...

"Restart and re-boot yourself

You're free to go

Oh, oh

Shout for joy if you get the chance"

because its been hard for me to move on because i very much loved this person.

this song brings me comfort in a strange way.

what is the song about? anybody care to burst my bubble and tell me its some sort of political song and the meaning i draw from it is completely meaningless
:D

Unknown Caller is Brilliant, after nearly 4 weeks since the albums release, i think it's by far their best song on the album, crazy is 2nd spot, UC justgrows and grows on you because it's such an uplifiting song, it's all about getting up in the world when you get knocked down, you know how he sings' i was lost between the midnight and the dawning, with no company or consequence' it's also being lonley throughout the night, but it's ok,the ending is just awesome the Edge with his great guitar playing, don't forget Larry and Adam are the engine room of the band with a great rhythm section,they are the best band in the world, which is why i'm flying to the USA to see them in concert at least 4 times with my presale tickets, hopefully will seethe lads about 9 times over 3 to 4 weeks.............LOVE U2...........don't be shy to send pm to discuss the band, i love talking about this band, keepsme free in my life

Voxxiegirl, sister? Toxic relationship. yeah. *pours you a cup of tea & pours one for myself* ;)

I hear ya. And even though I still sorta hate Unknown Caller. It's suddenly starting making sense to me. And then i saw your thread, andwhooooooooaaaaaaa...Almost as if, I was being told hey.....3:33 ya dummy. Shut up and listen. Hurry up, I wanna show you the scene where you crashed. It'sjust one accident. Rise up and carry on.

I'd like to add Lamentations 3:33 to thread as well. verses 4 & 11 are indicative of a crash.

And one of my all time favorite verses, probably the life verses I forgot while I was getting drunk because life was a total toxic suckfest:

22 & 23.

The song I hate the most on the album, is probably the one I need the most. HA! oh....man do I feel like an asshole now. *hops into Trash*

Good luck with your new beginnings Voxxiegirl. It's all up from here, baby. :)

• Subscriber

I love this thread...

I also thought that Moment of Surrender and Unknown Caller seemed somehow linked by that theme of Surrender....it is hard to let go and for me that is hittinghome just because of the changes I am going through in my crazy life right now. I love that we are both sort of "starting over" and this song speaksto us both.

I can't understand why this album is not racing up the charts --or still at number 1 -- it is so good.

I really love Unknown Caller, but I have to say NLOTH is still my favorite single...I imagine it live and holy goosebump city!

hj