ZOOTV Cinema Thread

Max Tsukino

• Community Moderator

U2UV Achtung Baby Live At Sphere ZooTVCinema.png

By now, many of you have visited the ZOOTV Cinema at the Zoo Station…

We are curious: what have been your favorite movies there?

If you have seen something presented there before, what was different about them this time? Did you notice any difference in video or audio quality (considering that all has been upscaled)? Better? The same?

Was it even better (than the real thing) experiencing the movies surrounded by other fans? Did you share your opinion about what you just saw with any of them?

If you haven't been there yet, which movie are you expecting the most?

Share your experience with all the Zootopians here…

ZOOCinema 01.jpg

You can find this week's screening schedule here ---> https://www.universe.com/events/zoo-tv-cinema-tickets-tickets-SRMXZ9

• bigwave changed the title to ZOOTV Cinema Thread
  • Max Tsukino pinned this topic
  • bigwave featured this topic
  • Subscriber

FYI, the time slots don't match between the description summaries and the calendar, you have to go to the calendar and alternate the drop downs to find the right screening to match it up. (Universe/Vibee still has some things to work out, quite a few actually, but maybe they can get it right for future shows...)

• Subscriber

We saw the Red Rocks show last Sunday night. What a great way to cap off the weekend after seeing the concert Saturday night.  Watching vintage U2 from the War era highlighted for me that with all the high tech bells and whistles, at the end of the day its their performance on stage that makes most of us life long fans. 

The video quality was fine - not much different than what I've seen before, although it was great to see it on a bigger screen than my tv at home. But what blew me away was the audio! It sounded amazing, considering this recording is 40 years old! To hear individual whoops and cheers coming from different corners of the theater was surprising and immersive. Great job whoever did the sound mix!

Side note: the Achtung Old Fashioned served at the Fly Bar was tasty and strong. I loved chatting up our bartender. Slainte!

• Like 1

• Subscriber

Went to this yesterday (Films of Innocence). It was ok. Just ok. I don't know if they made a mistake or not but a lot of videos were shown on repeat immediately after each other - led to people starting to talk and many left. You also have a small sample of songs played but via different videos... ie official song video and then a concert performance of same song. The videos from the concert in Memphis I think (all videos ended with c. Mercury Music 2009) looked epic but the sound didn't maximise the capability of the Dolby Atmos System like the others did. I found it pretty underwhelming compared to the rest of Zoo Station which was epic. Sprry to be Debbie Downer! [2.15pm.show 4 Oct].

• Subscriber

On Opening Day (almost a week ago!) I saw the Zoo Tv Shorts (they also added a Day in the Life of the Edge) followed by “From the Sky Down”, although up until the moment it started, I was confusing with “It might get loud.” 

I didn’t know what to expect, and it seemed overpriced and underwhelming overall when I stepped in, until the shows started. 

When it first came out, I must have had the U2 shorts VHS on repeat, and suddenly I remembered entire segments verbatim, decades later. And while I’ve seen From the Sky Down before, it’s really powerful, and it had me choking up so many times. That moment when you hear the chords of One buried in the early mysterious ways demo, just chills…

Together, they  were almost like a refresher course, and both of those got me pumped up and ready for the concert, with themes from those screenings that carried over to the show (AB being a “Heavy Mother” with a name being a distracting con) what it means to be in a band and having to go out on stage without a key element, Bono calling out the Chords to “One” on the shows Saturday, just like he did in FTSD, just chills!

So, ultimately I was thankful for what I got from attending. However, I don’t know how much it had to do with the screening room itself, but with the content. Had I seen, say Unforgettable Fire or the Letterman Documentary, I believe I may have been ultimately disappointed and it might have not changed my initial perception, that there didn’t need to be an extra charge for what is essentially one of those looping screenings room in museums where you can sit for a while to relax.

On 10/3/2023 at 7:47 PM, Max Tsukino said:

U2UV Achtung Baby Live At Sphere ZooTVCinema.png

By now, many of you have visited the ZOOTV Cinema at the Zoo Station…

We are curious: what have been your favorite movies there?

If you have seen something presented there before, what was different about them this time? Did you notice any difference in video or audio quality (considering that all has been upscaled)? Better? The same?

Was it even better (than the real thing) experiencing the movies surrounded by other fans? Did you share your opinion about what you just saw with any of them?

If you haven't been there yet, which movie are you expecting the most?

Share your experience with all the Zootopians here…

ZOOCinema 01.jpg

You can find this week's screening schedule here ---> https://www.universe.com/events/zoo-tv-cinema-tickets-tickets-S

• Subscriber
On 10/4/2023 at 9:53 AM, fever said:

We saw the Red Rocks show last Sunday night. What a great way to cap off the weekend after seeing the concert Saturday night.  Watching vintage U2 from the War era highlighted for me that with all the high tech bells and whistles, at the end of the day its their performance on stage that makes most of us life long fans. 

Hear, here!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

We actually got the Letterman docu (A Sort Of Homecoming), we'd gotten tickets to one of the 'surprise TBA' listed performances.  I have to say that I didn't mind it.  The sound was noticeably better (and we've got Dolby Atmos on our home system), and it was introduced by director Ned O'Hanlon (who has also directed a number of my other favorite U2 concert films.  I'm a big fan of his work, and it was delightful to hear him tell a few tales about the production.  I can only hope he was in town not just to catch the opening of the residency, but also as part of the planning process for a U2: UV Sphere film.

I keep meaning to try and make it back for another screening, but it's been a busy month and I haven't been able to get back over so easily.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

We finally made it back to Zoo Station to catch another screening - this time Zoo TV: Live From Sydney.  The video wasn't improved, but the sound was indeed remastered for Dolby Atmos and it sounded incredible!!!  We're hoping to get to Rattle & Hum this weekend, I hope that got the Dolby Atmos treatment too.

• thumbs up 1