Achtung Baby in Dolby Atmos

mich40

• Community Moderator
3 hours ago, AntonioMBass said:

I’ll be at the event today for this! (And the show) 

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, mich40 said:

My first listen yesterday.

Will it sound good played on a small MacBook? 

Edited by ca1043

• Subscriber

So it sounds really great in the theater! Definitely a lot of little things you probably wouldn’t notice otherwise. Also just very cool to essentially just sit in a room with a bunch of people and listen to an album in full. 

Edited by AntonioMBass
  • Like 2
  • thumbs up 1

• Subscriber

Zoo Station sounds great, the Atmos gives you a chance to listen to all of those little intricacies. The same also for the rest of the album too, but Zoo Station is packed with so much stuff that still may never have been heard, even to us die hard fans. 
A couple of bug-bears. The Fly rhythm section only gets to be heard halfway through Edges solo, and then loud to the point where you think it’s mixed wrong. 
Ultraviolets chorus has been re-worked so much it is practically not the same. Gone are King B’s harmonies over Edge singing ultraviolet. 
Bonos vocals through the whole album have now been Atmos-fied, and have been so drowned in Echo it’s off putting. Not sure the band would be happy with this master mix of their masterpiece. 
I would love to know what others think!! 🤔 

Edited by Rob Buckley

• Subscriber

I thought it sounded great.  I've been in the Zoo TV Cinema room before, it's purpose-built for showcasing Dolby Atmos... and specifically music content.  48 speakers throughout the space, all calibrated and tuned by the Dolby Atmos team.

I've also listened via Apple Music with Atmos-compatible headset, and the album is equally fantastic.  It has a very three dimensional feel, and feels like you're in the studio with the band.

They did make a few editorial changes to the original mix, apparently at Bono and Edge's direction, to correct what they felt were either mistakes or limitations with what they wanted to do in 1991.  I've got a 30+ year sentimental attachment to those 'mistakes' ... but what they did was still a great listen and I imagine that in time I'll come to prefer them.

Even though there has already been a few reissues of Achtung Baby, I wouldn't mind an Atmos special edition, with the album on one disc, then maybe a handful of the U2:UV arrangements (Wild Horses, So Cruel, Ultraviolet), and all the ambient loops that we hear in Sphere and at Zoo Station.

• thumbs up 2
  • Brilliant 1

• Subscriber

I thought it sounded amazing. I definitely noticed elements that I hadn't heard before. Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World sounded almost completely different to me. But I was blown away by it, and I imagine Bono/The Edge directed the editorial changes here (and as Trilo says, there definitely are alterations). That said, what's fun about Atmos is that it can sound "different." Compared to, say, The Doors' "Riders on the Storm" (which sounds noticeably different from the original), I would say Achtung Baby's changes were mostly subtle while still being identifiable. This will be my preferred way to listen to the album from here on out. 

And I'd love a proper reissue. One of the weirder things that Apple Music does is it makes it hard to sometimes get to the Atmos mixes if you previously owned the album. So I have to really mess with it to play the right version. This is true for all Atmos tracks that I previously owned, not just by U2.

• Subscriber

If you have a previous download, you may want to try removing the download and then re-DL'ing to your device.  Under the hood, so long as the machine/device has the Atmos mix, the app can detect whether the output device(s) are Dolby Atmos capable and will play that if available.

• Subscriber

Listening on Apple Music right now in normal headphones and I THINK I'm listening to the dolby. It's so clean. I can hear everything.

I'ma be that guy and say... could you imagine POP or Passengers done like this?

• thumbs up 1

• Subscriber

No physical release on blu ray.... What a dissapointment. I would pay a years Apple subscription to have it physical. Why are there so few physical releases? There are a lot of collecting fans out there. This would be a better release than the lame multi coloured vinyls.

• Like 1