Where are the Zoo bookworms?

U2Girl1966

LadyHathor wrote:

Definitely a book addict. I read multiple books at a time.

Ahh, I thought that was just me I have about three or four on the go at the moment, and a stack lined up readyto go, whilst eying others up as I look at my bookcases. smile.gif

I can read a good book in a day if I am not disturbed, average about three/four a week most times depending on my mood.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LadyHathor wrote:

Definitely a book addict. I read multiple books at a time.

Ahh, I thought that was just me I have about three or four on the go at the moment, and a stack lined up ready to go, whilst eying others up as Ilook at my bookcases. image

I can read a good book in a day if I am not disturbed, average about three/four a week most times depending on my mood.

Ahh, bookworms. My peeps!

I spend many many hours avoiding housework, bills, children, exercise, etc. Many books piled on the nightstand. Multiple renewals at the library.

Been alternating grown up books with children's literature - partly because I'm a teacher and partly because there are so many good kids book nowadays.

Books I've enjoyed lately:

NON-FICTION

Blink, and The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell

Animals in Translation - Temple Grandin

FICTION

Ireland - Frank Delaney (history of the storyteller tradition, woven into a story. Brilliant if you love Irish stuff)

We Have To Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver (creepy, disturbing, but beautifully written, from the perspective of a mom whose son is a school shooter)

Been on a Robert Ludlum kick lately. Love spy novels, page turners that you can't put down.

CHILDREN'S LIT

Among the Hidden - Margaret Peterson Haddix (first in a very cool series about the effects of population control)

Magyck - Angie Sage (first of an inventive fantasy series. If you are in Harry Potter withdrawal, these will help)

Artemis Fowl - Eoin Colfer (great series about an Irish genius kid - hilarious and clever)

Eragon - Christopher Paolini (Dragon story that will amaze you when you think how young the writer was at the time - 17.) First of a series.

Another book worm here.

I'm currently reading:

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Some favorite authors of mine are J.K. Rowling, Paulo Coelho, Tracy Chevalier, Steve Berry, J.R.R. Tolkien.

Some favorite books are the Harry Potter series, Lord of the Rings, Veronika Decides to Die, Girl With A Pearl Earring, The Kite Runner, A Thousand SplendidSuns. Some fairly recent ones I really enjoyed were People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. I've alsoenjoyed The Pillars of the Earth like some of you here. I have yet to start reading World Without End. I've got a To-Be-Read pile which keeps growing and growing!

Also enjoyed vastly The Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier............if you wanna lose yourself for a while this is the story to do it........bloodybrilliant. The writing is so vivid too so that you can see and smell the forest. Excellent stuff

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daughter-Forest-Sevenwaters-Trilogy-Marillier/dp/0312875304/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239185011&sr=1-3

Also love Bernard Cornwell and his King Alfred series, plus the Viking series too (anything by him really, CJ Sansom and his Reformation series, ConnIgguldenand his Bones of the Hills series, Bernard Knight, Candace Robb, and many more. I'd be lost without having a few books on the go

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

The Great Gatsby by F. S. Fitzgerald

All writing by A. P. Chekhov and Croatian writers Miroslav Krleza, Boris Dezulovic.

Surely, there are most, just have to recall... :).

BTW, anybody know any good book about love, like Animal Triste (Monika Maron)? Just as long as it's tragedy, I'll be happy :D

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

The Great Gatsby by F. S. Fitzgerald

All writing by A. P. Chekhov and Croatian writers Miroslav Krleza, Boris Dezulovic.

Surely, there are most, just have to recall... :).

BTW, anybody know any good book about love, like Animal Triste (Monika Maron)? Just as long as it's tragedy, I'll be happy :D

• Subscriber

MYTFINN wrote:

We Have To Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver (creepy, disturbing, but beautifully written, from the perspective of a mom whose son is a school shooter)

My book club read this book about 3-4 years ago and we still talk about it! I couldn't finish it. I would start to hyperventilate every timeI tried to read it! Just kept thinking of my little sweet guy (about 10 at the tine) and not wanting him to turnout like Kevin!

I'm currently reading the Twilight series at the urging of my daughter...and loving it!

I'm finishing up The Fellowship of Ghosts by Paul Watkins for my Norwegian Book Club and will be starting Peder Victorious by O.E. Rolvaag next. I'vealso got In The Wake by Per Petterson waiting in the wings for my book club as well.

I generally don't like to read more than one book at a time -- I like to get lost in one and find that if I double up too much, I'll drop the bookI'm not that into and never finish it. And not finishing a book feels so wrong to me -- is there such a thing as readers guilt???

Yes there is such a thing as readers guilt. I have to finish a book and I can't put the light out to go to sleep until I have finished the chapter. I justhave to finish it or I can't settle at all. Plus, I can't stand getting a book from the library and the other readers haven't used a bookmark andall the corners are dog-eared.

Maybe it's just me nerd.gif