trip to ireland

Guest MysteriousWays

Guest MysteriousWays

Hello, I am hoping to go see U2 in Ireland (yeah!). I am a brown woman living in the US and read this on the US State Dept Web page - "There have been alimited number of incidents in which foreigners and tourists have been victims of assault, including instances of violence toward those who appear to bemembers of racial minority groups" (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1145.html#safety .

Does anyone have any feedback as to whether i should have any real reason for concern about making this trip? thanks

LOL

Dublin is safe but does have a homeless and drug problem as does most cities. There are areas not to go to after dark but these are not in the centre ofDublin. The main thing to remember is not to look like a tourist but this goes for anywhere not just Dublin.

As the website you mentioned itself says it is a very limited number of such incidents.

Dublin is very safe in comparsion to other big(ger) cities around the world. I lived there for about 2 years (2000-2001) and never had any unplesant experiencein this regard. I followed general safety rules ie normally carried my bag like in the photo below and did not walk on my own late at night.

Lately there have been reports of people who were asked for information on the streets from someone coming from the opposite side of the one they carry theirbags while someone standing beside their bag nicks something out of it. So if you are careful with your bag there is no problem. It is something that smallonly that I have heard so far. Oportunistic petty crimes like this happens everywhere.

July is a great month to be visiting Ireland as the days are veeeery long. It will not get dark before 22.30 or 23.00.

If you must get a taxi at night try ringing a taxi company instead of getting a taxi on the streets. They ring you on your mobile when they arrive. So Iwould recommend unblocking your mobile before your visit to Ireland

I always suggest anyone travelling abroad to carry their countries´ embassies´ after hours number for easy of mind.

And do not forget Cafe En Siene, 39 Dawson Street (right beside Grafton Street), will be U2 fans meeting point from the 23rd to the 26th.

2917514334_ab1a508c9c.jpg?v=0

Bonohood wrote:

Lately there have been reports of people who were asked for information on the streets from someone coming from the opposite side of the one they carry their bags while someone standing beside their bag nicks something out of it. So if you are careful with your bag there is no problem. It is something that small only that I have heard so far. Oportunistic petty crimes like this happens everywhere.

.....and watch out for them leprechauns wearing fairy shoes and carrying shillelagh's. They will be in and out of your bag before you know what's hityou.

you will be fine coming to ireland. dublin is very safe, and beleive it or not, but people of colour are very very common here in ireland, so there is not anychance of any racist attacks happening.

in regards to walking the city at night, i aint a dublin local, i am about 40 miles away, so dont spend many nights out in the city, but lately ive been goinga lot more, and trust me, it is very safe once you stick to the main streets. if you go down a dark laneway/alley, there is always that element of danger whereis everywhere else. there off course is the drug problem lots of other citys would have also, but its not in your face, but once the alleyways and dark lanescome into the equation, off course you might run the chance of running into someone dodgy.

but overall, your gonna be perfectly safe.

enjoy your trip to my nations capital.

Ireland is magical. I am very dark skinned (it's that American Indian in me plus I'm always in the sun) but with green eyes and I never ever feltstrange out of place or unwelcome. I ran through the streets of Dublin by myself all hours into the night and went everywhere on foot. LOL, I found an old homeless guy from California, we actually spent some timie talking about who/what is going on in surfing and he had more knowledge of locals from my area herein Florida then I did! I've been there numerous times in the winter, in the spring and the summer. It's a safe place and if anyone gives you crap tellthem you will haunt their asses for the rest of their lives and ever after. That usually works :) I always went alone, I always had a great time, a couple oftimes I came home with a broken leg two different trips, me and hills do not agree so just stay away from cliffs and you will be fine! People wise, I trust theIrish, they would do you no harm. Every place has its evil kooks just keep a watchful eye out and if you think you are being followed or harrassed call the USEmbassy, there's always someone on call. I did have to do that once but the night manager of the Old Kitchen Nightclub at the Clarence handled it. It wasjust some stalker weirdo and I got my hotel changed to the Clarence. That is one bit of advice: Stay at a reputable place and have a great time! You will loveit! Are you going over for the concert? I even did a concert by myself, I saw Blur at the Point and it really confirmed to me how much I loved Dublin. Enjoyevery minute of it!

I know it is a pain to hear people talking about unplesanat events that happen in your homecountry, especially when they are foreigners, but in my case Ireside in Ireland. I know what I am talking about. A country fella witnessed what I described as opportunistic petty crime 6 days ago in Dublin (and it was onthe news on RTE last december - it was linked with people from a particular country but I think it is best not to mention where they are from as I do not wantto label a whole country because of some individuals).

There is crime wherever there are people. Luckily in Ireland there is so little (and will basically happen to those who are not careful enough) I canunderstand one making jokes about it (the Irish social welfare system is so good one would have little or no reason to commit a petty crime let alone a seriousone).

Now I cannot give a woman who is probably travelling abroad on her own no advice whatsoever even if she is coming to a country like Ireland. The message Itried to convey is that if you are careful with your belongings you will not have to go through something as small as the one I described.

Thank you for all the replys. I suspected such events would be quite infrequent. I have always wanted to visit and what better reason than a U2 concert!