The facts about U2.com

u2zoo24

I always imagined this website being run in an office in Dublin by a dozen or so nice young Irish ladies with computer degrees. Busily passing on what theythought were worthy critisisms or suggestions from fans.(Most of U2's close staff is female).

I sound pretty gullable hey?...... Your right I was.

Of course much like everything else today this website is the arm of a monsterous corporation.

Turns out this website is owned by a company called Signatures Network out of San Francisco. They are what's known as a music merchandiser. Check out theirhome page at Signaturesnetwork.com.

One could assume that Bajagirl and Bigwave are direct employees of this company. Both of thier screen names bear reference to the state of California, wherethis company is located. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Signatures network owns the rights to make these websites for some 150 artists. From The Beatles to U2 to Justin Timberlake. (that's right, the same peoplein charge of our beloved bands website are also running a Justin Timberlake one. Eww, I just got the willies, anyways...

Signatures network was purchased by Live Nation around December or Jan 2007/08 for some 75 + MILLION DOLLARS.

This website is BIG BUSINESS. Nothing else. Ya perhaps a few of the band members will pop on from time to time. Though i've neverseen them. Or maybe shoot videos for the site. But in the end for all you people that hold out some hope Bono hears our pleas about scalpers,pre-sale codes andso on. Don't keep your hopes up.

How busy are you in your life? Kids? Two Jobs? Soocer Practices? School?

Imagine how busy the members of U2 are. They have kid's and familys. They don't have time to pay much attention to us thousands of fans online. Or eventhier close staff for that matter.

I cannot tell you what the level of communication is between the band, their close staff and the administrators of this website. But I am always suspicous whenI hear numbers like 75 million. Many people have joined this website in recent weeks with the announcment of tour plans. How many pages of Numb members arethere? I can guarentee you Live nations stock has gone up just as a result of U2 announcing that they will tour. How many tens or even hundreds of thousands doyou think they have already made off the sale of memberships for pre-sale codes?

Read the Terms of Service.

Signatures network (and by exstension U2) withhold the right to investigate your credit and deem you "uncredit worthy" and deny you access tomembership. Based on a poor credit score I would imagine.

So let me get this straight? U2 promotes peace and understanding and philanthropy all over the world but if you have a poor credit score you can take a hike?

Does that sound like the philanthropic,caring and empathetic U2 we have come to know?

Certainly not too me.

Don't get me wrong i am a loyal fan and will always love U2 as a band. But as a business.................

This is very shrewd business. Just like banks have found all new ways of taking your money with endless service charges and nsf fee's in recent years sohave the sellers and promoters of concerts.

It saddens me that the band decided to "farm out" the administration of thier website. (the most direct link the general public has with the band). Iwould have preffered the dozen or so Irish ladies.

Please go ahead and investigate for yourself before you start refuting the facts in this post.

Koodos to The admin for your sense of fairness if this makes it to the message board.

I think that the term you were looking for is 'outsourced'.

Isnt this what all corporations, big companies, big businesses (read; bands) do?

You make a good point, and I wouldnt try to deny those facts (well, facts ARE facts) but I still dont mind the concept of it. And I dont think people reallyexpect Bono to show up here and comment. Anyway, like you concluded yourself; they have so much things going on. What they do for fans, and what they aresupposed to do, is make great albums, go on tours. They do that. And Im grateful for that ;)

BTW, I was also the one thinking this things was closer to the band, at some point. Imagine my surprise when realizing gift subscriptions were shipped from CAaddress. Lol.

I think that the term you were looking for is 'outsourced'.

Isnt this what all corporations, big companies, big businesses (read; bands) do?

You make a good point, and I wouldnt try to deny those facts (well, facts ARE facts) but I still dont mind the concept of it. And I dont think people reallyexpect Bono to show up here and comment. Anyway, like you concluded yourself; they have so much things going on. What they do for fans, and what they aresupposed to do, is make great albums, go on tours. They do that. And Im grateful for that ;)

BTW, I was also the one thinking this things was closer to the band, at some point. Imagine my surprise when realizing gift subscriptions were shipped from CAaddress. Lol.

• Subscriber

Just to clarify, the tag "Numb" under a persons' name only applies to your post count. It does not signify how longyou've been a member of U2.com. When this new board changed over from the old, all the members lost their post counts and started back at zero. Manypeople here have been members since the first U2.com board. I personally, have been a member since 2005.

Just wanted to point that little thing out, since we're talking the "facts" about U2.com. We should at least make sure those facts are accurateand correct.

Yes, the board is run by a company called Signature. They are paid to run things like this. Did you really think this was a direct line to the band? It's just a fan club. The money you pay to join is a membership fee to that fan club. Presale codes are one of the perks and yes, some joined simply sothat they could get a presale code for tickets, however, many of us have been paying members for many years.

• Subscriber

Just to clarify, the tag "Numb" under a persons' name only applies to your post count. It does not signify how longyou've been a member of U2.com. When this new board changed over from the old, all the members lost their post counts and started back at zero. Manypeople here have been members since the first U2.com board. I personally, have been a member since 2005.

Just wanted to point that little thing out, since we're talking the "facts" about U2.com. We should at least make sure those facts are accurateand correct.

Yes, the board is run by a company called Signature. They are paid to run things like this. Did you really think this was a direct line to the band? It's just a fan club. The money you pay to join is a membership fee to that fan club. Presale codes are one of the perks and yes, some joined simply sothat they could get a presale code for tickets, however, many of us have been paying members for many years.

ceallach67 wrote:

Just to clarify, the tag "Numb" under a persons' name only applies to your post count. It does not signify how long you've been a member of U2.com. When this new board changed over from the old, all the members lost their post counts and started back at zero. Many people here have been members since the first U2.com board. I personally, have been a member since 2005.

Just wanted to point that little thing out, since we're talking the "facts" about U2.com. We should at least make sure those facts are accurate and correct.

Obviously the OP wasn't sure of his facts before he posted but thanks for putting him in the picture Ceallach.

• Subscriber

Oh noes!!!! Isn't the website run by the Edge and his 638 children (mmm slaves)??? We've been screwed over by the band. Burn them CDs, burn!!!

Just think about the children first.

• Subscriber

Native Son wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

Just to clarify, the tag "Numb" under a persons' name only applies to your post count. It does not signify how long you've been a member of U2.com. When this new board changed over from the old, all the members lost their post counts and started back at zero. Many people here have been members since the first U2.com board. I personally, have been a member since 2005.

Just wanted to point that little thing out, since we're talking the "facts" about U2.com. We should at least make sure those facts are accurate and correct.

Obviously the OP wasn't sure of his facts before he posted but thanks for putting him in the picture Ceallach.

Just wanted to clear up that little misunderstanding.

Good to see you over here on the new board, Native Son. smile.gif

• Subscriber

Native Son wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

Just wanted to clear up that little misunderstanding.

Good to see you over here on the new board, Native Son. smile.gif

• Subscriber

The band have ALWAYS 'farmed out' their website. I've been a member since 2001 when it was a Dutch firm called Capcave who ran the website... thenit changed to Tiscali... and then finally Signature Networks who took over in 2004 when the fee payment was introduced.

Look at it like this...you're free to not subscribe, and you can still access the website and part of the messageboards.... just the same way as peoplewere not obliged to subscribe to Propaganda prior to 2004. I don't remember all the fuss about having to pay a subscription to Propaganda which was, ineffect, the same as this place... We got first dibbs on tickets still etc etc

I think the moderators of the board are big enough and more than capable of explaining (if they so wish) what their relationship is with U2.com/SignatureNetworks etc... but stand corrected ;-)