The new Album, 100 listens later...

• Subscriber

You know,,First time I heard "The Fly" I was wanted to cry! I thought that was the end of U2! Then when I heard the whole album on the first take Ifelt the same way. But, after a few runs of Actung baby, I LOVED it! Still do! And Zoo TV tour was the best ever! Now, this album not sure,,I LOVE no line,andcrazy tonight, and boots. Those are the only ones I listen to and like on this album! Where is something deep like So Cruel,or Bad? I even got albums likezooropa and pop! I really think the passenger CD was a good "experimental" record. I feel this record was over thought and over produced? Tried tohard maybe? Songs that just happened and left alone are their best! Many B-sides are like this, hell Elvis Presley and American I LOVE! And I know that it wasnot "finished"! Had it been finished, it would have been Cedars of Labanon, IMHO? Still love the group and will be at some of their shows!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with OP in the fact that there is a lot on this album that I seem to have heard before on other U2 albums; to me there is something veryfamiliar with this album, as some tracks start I instantly think of an older U2 song, it's like I have been listening to it for years.

That said I like this new album very much I took to it straight away give or take a few tracks.

• Subscriber

scottwaz wrote:

Now I'm dying to hear a Rick Rubin U2 track. How bad could that have been?

you already did. it's called "window in the skies"

i am curious to hear the other rubin material, though.

in talking about their companion album they plan on releasing within the year, they say it will be more spiritual and hymn like. would this be leftovereno/lanois material, or is this the rubin material?

below is a link to an interview with some info regarding the scrapped recordings. adam clayton makes note that once a song was mostly there, rubin didn'tlike going back and tweaking it and adding extra things. he just wanted it recorded and done with - stripped down, back to basics stfuff. and consideringatomic bomb and atyclb were already "back to basics", they wanted to try something new.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/26692262/u2_in_their_own_words/2

• Subscriber

utwothefly wrote:

sounds like you dont want to like it!?. eno is a genius. mag,breathe,fez,nloth, are all very good songs and rank up there with some of their best.caller,cedars,surrender are quality too. its no jt or ab, but its the best since then easierly.

Without doubt this is up there with their best work, by now i would be picking tracks to listen to normally, but I just haven't bored of it at all, ifanything its getting better and better. The mix of tracks is perfect too, boots is in the right place and holds well too. Was wrong choice as first singlethough should have been Magnificent !

Window in the Skies. A Rubin tune. See, I really liked that. Hmmmmm, what could have been? If you Google Rick Rubin, a TIME magazine article is near the top.Seems most everyone loves working with the guy. So it is with genuine curiosity as to why U2 did not. Did his "you either have something to say orplay" producers hat scare our guys off and only Eno/Lanios have the patience to grind out a U2 album? You know, they always put their songs through somany hoops to see what kind of song it needs to be, so maybe Rubin is not a fan of this kind of "put another dress on it" workflow. Maybe in theirlate 40's U2 needs more help getting through the process than ever before? Can you just hear Brian Eno crying to have "this" album be the one hehas the most influence on because no one is getting any younger? But they have all gotten much richer. -scott Giants Stadium September 24 U2 Concert #18...andcounting.

definitely some familiar sounds on the album from u2 and others, eg. RHCP and KOL. took me a couple of listens to really get into it and now am enjoying it butneed to see them live for the songs to really stand out for me

You're right. A good U2 record usually takes a lot of listens to really sink in. There's no doubt it's Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam at work here,but NLOTH is a classic recording in part because it breaks new ground for the band. The movement between vocal harmony and dissonance is complex andspectacular on "Moment of Surrender" and "White as Snow." How about the great use of different time signatures on "Fex BeingBorn," and who else but Bono is going to pull off a lyric like "I wasn't gonna buy just anyone's cockatoo?" This is a landmark album,and I can't wait to see it played out live at Soldier Field in Chicago on September 12th.