What's the best song of this new album?

droo wrote:

Boots has grown on me, and I love Stand Up's groove. I just can't get past the all-around awfulness of the whole "reboot yourself" and "shush now" stuff on Unknown Caller. It'd be able to overlook the cheesy if the music itself was exciting, but Unknown Caller's music isn't good either.

I stand by my assessment of the song. It's a turkey.

I guess everyone has a different style of U2 music that they prefer - for example you said Zooropa is your favourite album. I prefer the moremeaningful, heartfelt and sincere songs since I think that's what U2 do best. Thats not to say U2 cant be fun, but Achtung Baby does it best.

If they had released Magnificent as the single then non-U2 fans would be saying "U2 are actually pretty good" but in reality are saying "U2sound like a bunch of old cranks trying to be hip and failing miserably".

By writing songs for radio like Boots all they do is give cannon-fodder to all the people who hate U2. It does such an injustice to an otherwise brilliantalbum. Vertigo, which is a far better tune in my mind, was the same but not half as embarassing. Radio is the enemy of U2's creativity.

FACT - Great bass aside, Get on Your Boots is cheesy, tacky and camp. "The worst 3.5 minutes of U2's career", as one reviewer said. The band arein their 40s and majority of fans are at least 25 (i'm 26!) so why oh why are they writing music for kids. Thank goodness it's only one song.

Rant over.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Yes, and I have provided you with a justification of my Zooropa love and a defence of Boots in the other thread. Have a gander and tell me what ya think.

• Subscriber

Oh, I absolutely agree that Boots is a terrible choice for a single. If I am correct in my analysis of the song, the subtle hidden irony is not going to bepicked up on by non-U2 fans and indeed give them fodder for disliking U2, and kill album sales of NLotH in a world where the reality is people simply don'tbuy much music anymore.

Magnificent or Breathe need to be cranked out as radio singles ASAP, to wash Boots out of the public consciousness. It's the only chance this album'ssales have.