U2 performing at Coachella!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (RUMOUR)

this really sucks man, i wasn't even planning to go this year, but then they threw U2 in there at the last minute, this is next week, unfortunately i havework next weekend and i'm gonna miss the opportunity to be there, i will have to wait till october. :(frown.gif

This seems to be very much a rumor; besides, U2 won't begin touring until late June--in Europe. I wouldn't go spashing out money for tickets andtravel and 800 spf sunblock unless something official gets announced.

Of course, having just typed that, watch U2 jump into the Coachella lineup...! tongue.gif

Also, U2 have never really been a festival-friendly band, have they? Aside from the various good-deed-doer events they've joined over the years, Ican't recall the last time U2 were on the bill for a big outdoors music stomp. The "Longest Day" fest at Milton Keynes (was it?) in 1985? Hmmm...rain, mud, wrecked equipment...I think I just figured out why U2 haven't been a festival-friendly band for all these years!

Besides, I'm inclined to think that U2 might be a major headache for a multi-day fest. They draw such huge numbers, it might be a bit much to take on, inaddition to the usual strains from putting on a multi-day event.

Oh, and having read over the 2009 Coachella roster, let's run by my Forbidden Words for Band Names list, shall we?

Picking a name for your band? The following words have been overused, so: DO NOT USE:

Black

White

Pink

Wolf

Deer

Whale

Boy(s)

Girl(s)

Fuck (or any variation thereof)

Crystal

Glass

No

...and any gratuitous use of "!"

Thank you!

-- eaplatt

• Subscriber

I dunno; The Stones played a festival or two on their last tour, so anything's possible.

That said, I think I had read somewhere that U2 tend to not play festivals because they're reluctant to perform without their touring stage. And using the360 stage is out as an option for festivals since McGuinness has already said that this stage is designed to play ONLY in football stadiums (not racetracks,ballparks, etc.)

TCarlin5 wrote:

I dunno; The Stones played a festival or two on their last tour, so anything's possible.

That said, I think I had read somewhere that U2 tend to not play festivals because they're reluctant to perform without their touring stage. And using the 360 stage is out as an option for festivals since McGuinness has already said that this stage is designed to play ONLY in football stadiums (not racetracks, ballparks, etc.)

Yeah, they're quite territorial about their stage/gear...Also, U2 are under contract with Live Nation, and Coachella is run by one of their competitors,Goldenvoice. Would Live Nation farm out one of their contracted artists to a competitor, and risk undermining ticket sales to their own tour a few months downthe road? Doubt it.

Besides, Coachella is this weekend, U2 have been on a break, and it's just been announced (by Brian Eno) thatthey'll all be back in the studio (in London? Ireland?) any second now. So I'd be amazed if they were to turn up in Indio before next weekend is done.

Guess we'll have to put up with a year of "U2 at Coachella 2010" rumors from now on! wink.gif

-- eaplatt

• Subscriber

-- Coachella Valley is not far from here... dang it! They have been advertising it left and right on TV but I seriously doubt they would play since it'snot a Live Nation production?? I think someone else posted the same thing.. so I am going to check around (or like they say on Twitter) Mosey around! lol!!Please keep us updated if anyone has the 411? :) TY in advance!

• Subscriber

u2's did play on the live 8 festival in london in 05' which was chock full of other bands/performers (mccartney, coldplay, madonna, pink floyd, etc).so, they have proven that they can do one off festivals and be compatible with the sound equipment/lighting that's available.

I probably won't get to see them at all. Sometimes I forget about this website completely. I often find it difficult to stay interested in a band whoseconcert I will never be able to attend even though I have every single album they've ever made.

chadp123 wrote:

u2's did play on the live 8 festival in london in 05' which was chock full of other bands/performers (mccartney, coldplay, madonna, pink floyd, etc). so, they have proven that they can do one off festivals and be compatible with the sound equipment/lighting that's available.

Sorry, but the Live 8 fest was one of those good-deed-doer events, not a commercial/for profit festival like Bonnaroo, Coachella or Outside Lands. In fact,Bono was one of the guilty parties behind Live 8 - so it would have been utterly weird for U2 to not play that one!

So, I still can't think of any multi-band festival that U2 have played since "the Longest Day" in England in 1985. After all, their nextgo-round after that tour was after "The Joshua Tree" came out, and since then, U2 have drawn big enough crowds as a headliner to rival the attendanceat most mutli-stage/multi-day festivals.

-- eaplatt