Help with dream trip to IRELAND!

u2mom2boys

• Subscriber

Lucky you! I was there two years ago, and I didn't get to go to anywhere near all the 'significant' spots I wanted to, but I got to some.

I would say most definitely go down to Hanover Quay, by Grand Canal and bring something to write with, you know, on The Wall. I swear I heard rumours that theywere tearing this place down, but since they were recording there I don't know what was up with that? That would be devestating. There was a lot ofconstruction going on while I was there, but that was all over the city.

That area by Grand Canal will look familiar to you, it's in the Pride video and a whole bucnh of pictures-you know, those two smoke stacks? With thestripes?

Also, Windmill Lane...it's not far from HQ, like a few blocks down the river.

My friend and I had this great plan to go look at Mount Temple...until we realized it was MILES outside the actual city (we were on a school trip).

Don't worry if you get lost, Dublin is a very friendly city. I asked several people for directions and they were all very helpful. Not at all like in NYCwhere I'm from, haha.

I guess it all depends on what you want to see. I pseudo know my way around because I've looked at so many maps, so if you have any questions you can askme :) Although I'm sure people who live there will be WAY more helpful.

I don't know where you plan on going, or if you're driving, but the countryside is absolutely beautiful. There are a lot of old castle ruins that arereally neat (I still want to go to the Unforgettable Fire one, which I believe is Moydrum?) And the culture and the people are great. Everyone I met there wasvery friendly and went out of their way, and I had a lot of good food (I also went to Killarney, in the south, an drove across the country then to Dublin).

Hope that was at least a wee bit helpful!

• Subscriber

That's EXACTLY what I meant by tips! Thanks, Tacos! :) I am in the very early stages of planning our places to sightsee. Hubby actually won this as awork trip; we're staying in Killarney and I get to tag along! Of course, all under the condition of me going to Dublin and stalking the U2 spots! I need tobrush up on my U2 knowledge (gasp!!), as I lost much of what I had over the last decade having kids! I had seen the "dublinguide" site already(thanks, though, Bonohood!), but wanted people telling me some things to "not forget" to see or do! :) So how about hotspots in Killarney? We willhave to rent a car while we're there. How far a drive is it from Killarney to Dublin? Anyone? Thanks again for the tips. Any others would be appreciatedfrom any of U!

If you're planning to go into Dublin I wouldn't drive cos it's a nightmare. The train service is great and the station is right in the middle ofthe city. The bus service is great too and also stops right in the centre of the city. You could try taking a trip on the DART train out to Killiney and walkalong the beach. This was the infulence for the NLOTH cover as it's the view out of Bonos study window.

You could also do the Guiness Tower. I personally thought it was a waste of money but if it's your thing then fair enough. The tour bus that goes aroundthe city is good value. Costs about 6 Euros each and the ticket lasts for 24 hours, so you can hop on and off as much as you like.

You could also go to Trinity College and see The Book of Kells which is just gorgeous.......this is on my list for my next trip. Been twice now and stillhaven't got to see it.

There was a company doing a U2 walking tour but I can't remember what they were called.........someone will know about it.

Enjoy your trip.........it's a fab place

• Subscriber

I would highly recommend the Traditional Music Pub Crawl that starts at The Oliver St. John Gogarty Pub. It was one of the highlights of my trip to Dublin lastsummer. And I agree forget the car and take the bus and train everywhere. Both are affordable and will take you absolutely anywhere you want to go. Have ablast! :)

Where do I start. . .

Are you getting a car? If you are, make sure to drive up the west coast. There are some beautiful, famous places to see - The Ring of Killarney, the Burren,The Cliffs of Moher, Clifden, Sligo and on into Northern Ireland. A lot depends on how much time you have. There are a lot of places to see if you have thetime.

In the Dublin area - Slane Castle. We took the bus, it's a long trip by bus but the countryside is pretty. Of course Hanover Quay and the fan wall. Notto mention the construction of the new studio complex. But I'm sure the link posted earlier will give you plenty to see. A great way to see a new city isin the double decker buses. If it's a fine sunny day, ride in the open air top deck for the best views. The buses allow you to get on and off as manytimes as you want in a 24 hour period. It takes you to a number of different places around the city proper as well as Kilmainham Goal.

Oh hell, just pack me in a suitcase and I'll drive you all over!!!!

You´re right to rent a car. I went to Killarney from Dublin via Cork once and it took about 6 hours to get there!

Do visit their fort before you head to Dublin. And if there is still a restaurant called White House (not 100% of its name now) do have their seafood crepe if it still available. You will not regret it!

Yeah, you gotta go around the coast cos it's just beautiful. It's something i've got planned to do in a few years time. We're going to hireourselves a motorhome and just go to Ireland and go where the road takes us.

You may want to look into the lore and legends of Ireland and do some touring around those themes. It's fascinating stuff and I just love it. You may wantto take in Tara which was the ancient power seat of Ireland. You'd have to research on that more. There are loads of castles to see, the food is fabulousand Cork Market is a must do if you're a foodie