Lost U2 songs.

Marvgadgie

• Subscriber

I have a bit of a collection of bootlegs from early days U2 - ie pre-Boy/U23 and as a result have a good few "lost songs" from that era that werenever recorded or made it past demo stage. Was interested if anyone knew of any other "lost" songs from U2 that were actually played/recorded but notreleased and what anyone thinks of them So far I have this lot which are mostly charmingly naive new wavey punk gems.

The Fool (GREAT SONG!)
Cartoon World
The Speed of Light
The Magic Carpet aka Lost On A Silent Planet
Jack In The Box
Street Mission
Alone In The Light
The Dream Is Over
No Man's Land

It is of course possible that they mutated in to other songs that we now know and love ...
There was also Womanfish from around The Joshua Tree that was performed on telly ...

Anyone know any more? Would love to hear the band record these songs now for a bit of fun for b-sides instead of live versions of songs we already have instudio format.

• Subscriber

Ah, the demos. I must say I really like all those songs, especially Alone in the Light. That's pretty much all that I know of-other things from the demoperiod became early singles and b sides, like Another Day, Touch, BoyGirl...although, Touch was originally called 'Trevor' and had totally differentwords, but the same music. Also 11 O Clock Tick Tock was originally 'The Silver Lining'-same thing, totally different words and the same music. Therewas also Pete the Chop, which I've never heard a 'studio' version of but there are one or two live ones, and that song became Treasure (WhateverHappened to Pete the Chop?). What I think is odd is that on the Boy re-release, 'Speed of Life' is an intrumental track, but when played live it hadwords.

silkspectre wrote:

Everlasting Love was mentioned in my music school book, but I haven't a clue which album it's from.

I think it's a cover or something.

I love their cover of Everlasting Love. Always brightens my day!

silkspectre wrote:

Everlasting Love was mentioned in my music school book, but I haven't a clue which album it's from.

I love their cover of Everlasting Love. Always brightens my day!

bflorendo wrote:

It's a cover song of Gloria Estefan....maybe co-written w/John Secada. On the b-side of either Joshua Tree/Rattle & Hum.

Gloria Estefan? No, no, no, a thousand times no--and leave Mr. Secada out of this too, OK? Eesh.

Estefan herself was just covering an often-covered 60s pop song, and her version was done several years after U2 did their cover of the song.

Most popular versions done by Robert Knight (1967, the original), Love Affair (1968), and Carl Carlton (1974).

Check u2wanderer.org for where/when U2's version was released (retail and promo items, etc.) Go to the discography and search by song.

-- eaplatt

• Subscriber

tacosontheceiling wrote:

silkspectre wrote:

They covered it and it was a B side (in the late 80s though)...I have no idea who originally made that song!

It was a b-side to 'all i wnat is you' single along with a great cover version of 'unchained melody'roll.gif