VOTE: Should I get a U2 tatoo?

xtraspicy62

• Subscriber

I don't really think a vote from others should be the way you decide to get a tattoo. You should get a tattoo only if you really want one. I have two. Ihave two hearts on my right shoulder blade... which is the closest I've ever come to a "U2" tattoo. I love the song Two Hearts, but I washesitant on putting anything on my body for or of another.

The only names I would put consider putting my body are my kids names. But I've seen some very cool U2 tats out there.

My other tat is a dolphin on my calf. This one I would like either fixed or removed. The dolphin itself looks good but the tattoo artist went ahead w/o mypermission and used a pink highlighting type deal around it. The problem is I'm so fair skinned that even though it's about 10 years old, it looks likeit's new or irritated because of the pink.

Do they hurt? Yep. So, if you decide to get one, be sure it's something that you wouldn't mind being on your body for the rest of your life. Thinkabout it and then think about it some more. That's my advice.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No don't do it. Everyone has tattoos. There sooooooooo cliche' now. "Wow you have U2 tattooed on you how original". I have toyed with theidea myself but came to the concluson it was a stupid one. Most people who have tattoo's have no concept of time apparently. Have you any idea how stupidthat tattoo is gonna look in 40 years? Have you any idea how stupid it's gonna look to have a tattoo of a long gone rock band when your 80?

I have even heard Ozzie tell his children they shouldn't get tattoos for the same reason. If you want to be different and original DON'T get one. Ifyou really want one go ahead. The only thing I agree with people on here about tatoos is that it should be something VERY personal. Nikmik said it best. Myadvice if you go ahead is UNIQUE,UNIQUE,UNIQUE. I can't tell you how uniterested I am when someone wants to show me their tattoo of a unicorn, an eagle,dragon or a skull. Even though i'm a huge U2 fan I would have little interest in even a U2 tat.

Chances are if your asking for a vote from strangers your not that sure of it and should think long and hard about it. What's important to you? And do youwant it PERMANENTLY on your body.

Just a thought.....

Best of luck

No don't do it. Everyone has tattoos. There sooooooooo cliche' now. "Wow you have U2 tattooed on you how original". I have toyed with theidea myself but came to the concluson it was a stupid one. Most people who have tattoo's have no concept of time apparently. Have you any idea how stupidthat tattoo is gonna look in 40 years? Have you any idea how stupid it's gonna look to have a tattoo of a long gone rock band when your 80?

I have even heard Ozzie tell his children they shouldn't get tattoos for the same reason. If you want to be different don't get one. If you really wantone go ahead. The only thing I agree with people on here about tatoos is that it should be something VERY personal. Nikmik said it best. My advice if you goahead is UNIQUE,UNIQUE,UNIQUE. I can't tell you how uniterested I am when someone wants to show me their tattoo of a unicorn, an eagle, dragon or a skull.Even though i'm a huge U2 fan I would have little interest in even a U2 tat.

Chances are if your asking for a vote from strangers your not that sure of it and should think long and hard about it. What's important to you? And do youwant it PERMANENTLY on your body.

Just a thought.....

• Subscriber

I think that this person was looking for some advice on the matter rather than an actual yes/no vote.

'Have you any idea how stupid it's gonna look to have a tattoo of a long gone rock band when your 80?'

That is a very practical viewpoint that frankly stung me a little, haha. In my mind, I'm always going to be young, and so will they! For me, time isirrelevant-and I swear that is NOT a pun. I'm serious. If something is important to you, that's what matters, and likely will always be important. Andeven if it's not, then at least it will remain a fond memory of your youth/past. Still, the permanence is an issue, because you could always change yourmind. But you know if that is likely or not.

tacosontheceiling wrote:

I think that this person was looking for some advice on the matter rather than an actual yes/no vote.

'Have you any idea how stupid it's gonna look to have a tattoo of a long gone rock band when your 80?'

That is a very practical viewpoint that frankly stung me a little, haha. In my mind, I'm always going to be young, and so will they! For me, time is irrelevant-and I swear that is NOT a pun. I'm serious. If something is important to you, that's what matters, and likely will always be important. And even if it's not, then at least it will remain a fond memory of your youth/past. Still, the permanence is an issue, because you could always change your mind. But you know if that is likely or not.

In all fairness this thread is entitled VOTE:Should I get a u2 tat? I gave him my vote and gave my advice so i met both criteria you mentioned.

I'm sorry if i stung you but the fact is you are going to get old and you may be a completely different person by then. Tattoos are not unique anymore.That's not to say that everyone who gets a tat is a sheep but they are certainly not esoteric or exsclusive anymore. Tattoos really took off for girls inthe early 90's and increased for boys. I hardly know anyone anymore who dosen't have a tat. Oh ya and when the government wants to identify youinstantly your tattoo has given them the ability to do so. Marked FOR LIFE. Even if tattoo removal improves greatly it will most likely still leave scars. Howlong did the Branding thing last? 2 weeks? I wonder how idiotic those people feel now?

A Tattoo is a life long decision more than most marriages,more than home owenership and it will even outlast your childrens presence in your home.

It's a HUGE decision. I'm sure anyone with any intelligence who has a tattoo thought long and hard before applying it.

• Subscriber

I wasn't arguing with you at all...you're right! It's for all those reasons that I would most likely never get one-I don't like the thought ofsomething like that being on me permanently. I was pointing out that you had a very practical and reasonable point of view on the idea-what I mentioned aboutthe 'forever young' thing is just my general outlook on life. I, personally, still wouldn't get a tattoo because of it though.

So I aplologize if I came off sounding argumentative-I never argue with anyone in the zoo :)