What you dislike about U2?

For some reason (because I was not thinking about u2 at all), it just occurred to me what it is that I "dislike about U2" (although that is stronglanguage.) More accurate for me would be to say what it is about the U2 scene that keeps me from being able to make it an integral part of my world view. Andthis is...

I simply do not understand why it seems to be so hard for the Bono character--and by extension many of the fans-- to just be happy and do the right thing inthe world. It always appears to be such a struggle that one has to go hunting about in faith books for answers to, or to strap on boots to demand, or tostruggle and sacrifice and pay blood-spirit for. Really...it is not all that hard.

And, no one should think that it is harder for them because they somehow see suffering, inequity and injustice in the world more clearly than others, becausethat is just self-serving poppycock. Everyone sees this unless they are simply a sociopath, and most are not.

So...if I had one question to ask Bono, it would be..."why the f does it seem like it is so hard for you?" And why does it seem that you assume it isjust as hard for others?

I think for most people, it really is not all that difficult.

That said....I love that this music is in the world!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

LifeFactory wrote:

For some reason (because I was not thinking about u2 at all), it just occurred to me what it is that I "dislike about U2" (although that is strong language.) More accurate for me would be to say what it is about the U2 scene that keeps me from being able to make it an integral part of my world view. And this is...

I simply do not understand why it seems to be so hard for the Bono character--and by extension many of the fans-- to just be happy and do the right thing in the world. It always appears to be such a struggle that one has to go hunting about in faith books for answers to, or to strap on boots to demand, or to struggle and sacrifice and pay blood-spirit for. Really...it is not all that hard.

And, no one should think that it is harder for them because they somehow see suffering, inequity and injustice in the world more clearly than others, because that is just self-serving poppycock. Everyone sees this unless they are simply a sociopath, and most are not.

So...if I had one question to ask Bono, it would be..."why the f does it seem like it is so hard for you?" And why does it seem that you assume it is just as hard for others?

I think for most people, it really is not all that difficult.

That said....I love that this music is in the world!

Your post reminds me of my husband's reaction to the "Promise-Keepers" organization. He feels it is an insult to men. As if men need to beinstructed in how to be responsible for their families because they're morons otherwise? As you say, "It's not that difficult."

Ok, now I am wandering off topic, but the Promise Keepers and other outfits like that fill, I suppose, a useful role in society--for some. Like your husband, Iam also not crazy about them, but for a different reason: I don't care for them because they are predicated on this old-school "family values"platform that is valid, but should be considered only as one of many possible lifestyle frameworks that are honored in society. Instead, it has become thebasis of a non-progressive poltiical platform in the States--again, typically linked to the evangelicals, and typically using guilt as a weapon against themen.

And, the women think they are getting off good with this system, but it is a backdoor throwback for women, in my opinon.

Fathers have a financial responsibility to the off-spring, certainly--but not to the women!

Women can make their own way in the world now, and do not and should not be holding men hostage for their money. It is embarrassing.

Making men feel they are obligated to be their wives' caretakers, is a throwback to an era that expects women to simply be mothering in the home--andplease, Ladies, we have moved well well well beyond this. At least, those of us living in parts of the world where we have the freedom to do so, should havemoved on!

My sister and I were raised by a very very competent single mother, and we are both just fine--better than fine. I never missed not having a father in thehouse; not once, not ever.

But, boy has this topic wandered! :D

Somehow, all of these themes are tied up with the larger themes of freedom and choice, and despite lyrics which scream for and demand these all the time,something about the U2 scene feels like it has everything *but* these two things....freedom and choice. And this is what I just don't get--why one wouldever sacrifice these, or allow them to be taken, in any form, in any way, by anyone. Maybe it is just the lingering smoke of Catholic guilt hanging overeverything.

Ok, now I might be rambling-probably!--, and I have no idea if this makes sense to anyone else. It only partially makes sense to me! :D

I still love the music and cannot wait to dance on the tour!

• Subscriber

i know that Bono loves Beatles and that he talks about them a lot
but lately i've seen like 4 or 5 interviews with the boys taking about NLOTH and Bono always answer the same "if you look at the Beatles...""if you listen the White Album..." "if you remember what Lennon and Paul did..."
i know that Bono looks The Beatles the same way that i (we) look at U2, but i think we have heard it too many times in too many ways in too many opportunitiesand i wish he will stop doing it at least that often

Gary Sabo wrote:

but lately i've seen like 4 or 5 interviews with the boys taking about NLOTH and Bono always answer the same "if you look at the Beatles..." "if you listen the White Album..." "if you remember what Lennon and Paul did..."

i know that Bono looks The Beatles the same way that i (we) look at U2, but i think we have heard it too many times in too many ways in too many opportunities and i wish he will stop doing it at least that often

Maybe you should stop watching U2 so often?

• Subscriber

Gary Sabo wrote:

but lately i've seen like 4 or 5 interviews with the boys taking about NLOTH and Bono always answer the same "if you look at the Beatles..." "if you listen the White Album..." "if you remember what Lennon and Paul did..."

i know that Bono looks The Beatles the same way that i (we) look at U2, but i think we have heard it too many times in too many ways in too many opportunities and i wish he will stop doing it at least that often

Really, Bono needs to stop pretending that he's not fucking brilliant, to use his words tongue.gif He must have realized by now!

• Subscriber

Life..what Bono defines as "good" and what you define as "good" could differ. Bono appears to believe in a value system that asks for selfsacrifice, not just doing the "right" thing, whatever that might be. He appears to believe that selfishness is an ingrained part of who we are ashumans, and for this reason, being selfless is the goal, and thus struggle.