What you dislike about U2?

velocity1759 wrote:

Life..what Bono defines as "good" and what you define as "good" could differ. Bono appears to believe in a value system that asks for self sacrifice, not just doing the "right" thing, whatever that might be. He appears to believe that selfishness is an ingrained part of who we are as humans, and for this reason, being selfless is the goal, and thus struggle.

Hi Velocity smile.gif

Yes, Ok, but...I honestly don't think that "sacrificing" or committing selfless acts is thatmuch of a struggle for most people...I honestly don't. In fact, I don't think most even think of it as a "struggle" or "sacrifice"at all. Maybe for some. Maybe for the people he knows. Maybe for his fans? I don't know. But, not so much for the people of the world I haveencountered, and I don't think there is anything special about them. Most people I encounter operate under the premise of enlightened self-interest....whatbenefits others will also benefit them, and vice versa. Maybe raw selfishness and the need to struggle with that is theaberration?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a follow on to the last post...

I find that most people are fairly confident about themselves and their lives, so maybe not being selfish and grasping comes easier to those. Maybe there issomething about being needy in one's sense of self that causes the difficulty--in fact, causes the selfishness to begin with? It certainly is not aquestion of appetite or passion (and I think making this argument is a common one for those trying to justify themselves and their actions). Lots of people arepassionate and want to eat the world--but most would like to do it in good company, as well, and set a table for others! :D

I don't know. But, I have almost always, when really deliberating over and thinking about the various forms of "darkness" that humans are capableof....I find these almost ALWAYS resolve down into a lack of self-worth and CONFIDENCE. Which, maybe, is why those who are the most messed up in this, go off,find some sort of proscriptive system to keep them "good" and try to enforce it on everyone else. To not do this would be to admit that oneself isthe problem, and also that one is in the minority, and I think it might take a lot of strength to admit that. And, if such people were strong to begin with,they would never even fall into this loop.

But...I am just speculating off the cuff...sort of.

• Subscriber

The remixes are great,at the end of the day all that matters is the Music...........its not a matter of life or death...just enjoy the music.

I was in band that got together the same year 78 and unfortunately there wasnt enough room for both of us in Dublin then theyre now rich and Im poor........but im not whining!!

• Subscriber

Patrick wrote:

The remixes are great,at the end of the day all that matters is the Music...........its not a matter of life or death...just enjoy the music.

I was in band that got together the same year 78 and unfortunately there wasnt enough room for both of us in Dublin then theyre now rich and Im poor........but im not whining!!

So you were baby U2's competition? eek.gif

• 3 months later...

bank of america wrote:

Bono can sometimes be depressing and I dont like that side of him. He can be a bit too serious!

I can inagine that Bono feels more depressed with the things he's seen on his travels, than you could ever imagine.

At least he's trying to help people in this bad, sad, mad world.

As for the B-sides...

... they're my favourites

because

they're not overplayed

and are secrets

to the unanniciated.

i.e.

Salome' - (Zooromancer Remix)

Even Better Than The Real Thing - (The Perfecto Mix)

Just 2 of many

of Amazingness.