What you dislike about U2?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

Fortitude']I agree with Joshthetree
:)

Take your point Tracy M - it's kinda what I was getting at in terms of subject matter - I don't mind there being Christian themes through the band's songs - I actually love it in all of the material on Pop because it is confronting and makes you stop and think. It's just that I do not find any lyrics on NLOTH inspiring and I also don't think every single song needs to bang on about God in one way or another. If it floats your boat then great - I'm just starting to find it monotonous. The band's two greatest albums - JT and Achtung only have one or two songs that mostly deal with Christian themes - the rest of the songs on these albums cover diverse issues and that's what makes them great albums in my opinion.

I was talking about wanting the band to stick their necks out again in terms of experimenting with new ideas, sounds etc which MacFoley then decided to take as me wanting the band to use "irony" in their approach to writing songs again - mistakenly confusing the band's use of irony in SOME of its imagery and the way it presented itself during the 90s, with the actual content and muscial innovation of all of their songs during the 90s.

I find it strange how people have automatically jumped to the conclusion that I'm dissing the band's humanitarain work because I don't like the lyrics on the new album. That's complete nonsense.

Some people need to lighten up!! The band may be rock royalty but they certainly aint God's delegates on Earth and they aren't always right in everything they do.

"I guess the biggest thing that's irking me about the band at the moment is nearly every song they write has some strong Christian undertone. I know many of their songs from the past have this, but the band hasn't done it so constantly and blatantly like they have on NLOTH. I'd like a bit more diversity in the subject matter because it's just getting boring. I'd go and buy a Hillsong cd if I wanted to listen to an album full of Christian songs."

"Take your point Tracy M - it's kinda what I was getting at in terms of subject matter - I don't mind there being Christian themes through the band's songs"

ok fort, this is 2 quotes you came out with. a couple of days ago you said the biggest thing that is irking you is the band is nearly writing about Christian issues. then you say i dont mind there being Christian themes. all within a couple of days? what has changed?

(i dont want to argue with you, just now your confusing me) how can you say its irking you to now you dont have a problem?

and thats your opion, fair enough good for you. but explain how you changed your irk in a couple of days? oh and i never had a problem and i have always been lightened up............................you are the one getting flustered here eh?

MacFoley it seems you and others have misunderstood what I've been trying to say - or you're just hearing what you want to hear.  I do apologise if I have been obtuse and haven’t expressed myself clearly enough for you to understand my position.

I’m not talking about the odd Biblical reference here and there which we all know are apparent in a lot the band’s material - What I'm talking about are songs in their entirety.  The essence of what I have said over the past few days is, I have no problem with there being Christian references or themes running through some of the band's songs – a few of their better songs are essentially Christian songs - BUT U2 have I guess upped the ante so much during the second half of this decade and I do not like it when the bulk of an album (like NLOTH) is devoted to essentially the same subject matter.  I'm not having a go at Christians or Christianity - I just expect more diversity in subject matter from any artist.

Let’s look at it objectively – which U2 songs from the 2000s are basically, Christian songs:

Grace (2000)

Yahweh (2004)

Window in the Skies (2006)

Magnificent (2009)

Moment of Surrender (2009)

Unknown Caller (2009)

Crazy Tonight (2009)

Stand Up Comedy (2009)

White as Snow (2009)

Breathe (2009)

Which songs from the 90s are:

Until the End of the World (1991)

The Wanderer (1993)

If God Will Send His Angels (1997)

Staring at the Sun (1997)

Wake Up Dead Man (1997)

Which songs from the 80s are:

Gloria (1981)

Rejoice (1981)

October (1981)

Tomorrow  (1981)

With a Shout  (1981)

Scarlet (1981)

A Celebration (1982?)

Drowning Man (1983)

40 (1983)

Pride (1984)

ISHFWILF (1987)

In God’s Country  (1987)

God Part II (1988)

Bono said that HTDAAB felt like their “first album†– probably why they played so many songs from Boy on the last tour.  The list above perhaps indicates that they wanted to remake their second album “October†with NLOTH - although I note they haven't played anything from 1981 on the current tour (which is something I was kinda expecting).  I don’t know.  All I do know is, I don’t enjoy NLOTH for the reasons I’ve outlined.

Hopefully that is enough for you to understand the point I’ve been trying to make.

As an aside, I find it surprising that I am apparently not allowed to want the band to experiment with their music more the way they did in the 90s.

“i think its time to let go of u2 from the 90's. they will never go back to that irony again.†- MacFoley

What are you actually saying?  All the experimental stuff the band did in the 90s used irony?  Every song and lyric they wrote?  U2 can’t be more experimental with their music because that would be ironic? 

embarassed.gif">

I'm shoking with your lack of respect Basher ! LOL

Well im shocked that you are shocked here i mean all of u2's songs have a sexual undertone to them........well they have if you have a dirty mind like me,.........lol

Love em, but all these remixes as b-sides are annoying. Some of them are, good, but do we really want 5 versions of the same song? Their unheard tracks and demos are some of their rawest and best work sometimes.

Bono, yeah, he can preach a bit too much, but you know that that is what you'll get. At least he and the band are commited to these things and don't just talk about it and not actually do anything.

Let’s look at it objectively – which U2 songs from the 2000s are basically, Christian songs:

Grace (2000)

Yahweh (2004)

Magnificent (2009)

Unknown Caller (2009)

Crazy Tonight (2009)

Stand Up Comedy (2009)

White as Snow (2009)

Breathe (2009)

The Wanderer (1993)

Wake Up Dead Man (1997)

Gloria (1981)

Rejoice (1981)

October (1981)

Tomorrow (1981)

With a Shout (1981)

Scarlet (1981)

A Celebration (1982?)

Drowning Man (1983)

40 (1983)

Pride (1984)

ISHFWILF (1987)

In God’s Country (1987)

God Part II (1988)

Im sorry but a lot of thoses songs are not about what you are saying here.........fuck i hate this having to look into the lyrics.........BUT.

Tomorrow was written about Bono's mother and the day of her funeral....."theres a black car parked at the side of the road"..........

Pride is in homage to Martin Luther King.......

A Celebration i believe to be written about Bono and Ali's marriage

God part 2 although it has God in the title is not about God but John Lennon re:Goldman and karma and all that jazz.

Unknown Caller is about a guy in a hotel room whos mobile phone starts talking to him even though there is no signal.....the guy is suicidal but the phone tells him basically to get a fuckin grip on himself.

Crazy tonight no God or Christian referance there i think Bono actually was being honest here and just stating he was going Crazy.

Magnificent i understand was written about Bono's wife Mrs Bono........

Moment of Surrender is i believe about a junkie (drug addict)..........

White as Snow i think this is about Bono going back to his childhood.....no God or Christian referance here.

do you know what ive got sore fingers now i'll stop there but you are way off the mark with a lot of you're assumptions on the songs not all u2's songs are about God/Christianity.........

i dunno if you would rather have them do nursery rhymes instead.

Grace (2000)

Yahweh (2004)

Magnificent (2009)

Unknown Caller (2009)

Crazy Tonight (2009)

Stand Up Comedy (2009)

White as Snow (2009)

Breathe (2009)

The Wanderer (1993)

Wake Up Dead Man (1997)

Gloria (1981)

Rejoice (1981)

October (1981)

Tomorrow (1981)

With a Shout (1981)

Scarlet (1981)

A Celebration (1982?)

Drowning Man (1983)

40 (1983)

Pride (1984)

ISHFWILF (1987)

In God’s Country (1987)

God Part II (1988)

Im sorry but a lot of thoses songs are not about what you are saying here.........fuck i hate this having to look into the lyrics.........BUT.

Tomorrow was written about Bono's mother and the day of her funeral....."theres a black car parked at the side of the road"..........

God part 2 although it has God in the title is not about God but John Lennon re:Goldman and karma and all that jazz.

Unknown Caller is about a guy in a hotel room whos mobile phone starts talking to him even though there is no signal.....the guy is suicidal but the phone tells him basically to get a fuckin grip on himself.

Crazy tonight no God or Christian referance there i think Bono actually was being honest here and just stating he was going Crazy.

White as Snow i think this is about Bono going back to his childhood.....no God or Christian referance here.

do you know what ive got sore fingers now i'll stop there but you are way off the mark with a lot of you're assumptions on the songs not all u2's songs are about God/Christianity.........

see basher knows. took the words right out of my mouth. have you got the book into the heart, story behind every u2 song? and even walk on?

well i have said all i have on the matter fort, and i suggest you get these book and read about the TRUE meaning of the songs you mention.

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

basher1']Let’s look at it objectively – which U2 songs from the 2000s are basically, Christian songs:

Grace (2000)

Yahweh (2004)

Magnificent (2009)

Unknown Caller (2009)

Crazy Tonight (2009)

Stand Up Comedy (2009)

White as Snow (2009)

Breathe (2009)

The Wanderer (1993)

Wake Up Dead Man (1997)

Gloria (1981)

Rejoice (1981)

October (1981)

Tomorrow (1981)

With a Shout (1981)

Scarlet (1981)

A Celebration (1982?)

Drowning Man (1983)

40 (1983)

Pride (1984)

ISHFWILF (1987)

In God’s Country (1987)

God Part II (1988)

see basher knows. took the words right out of my mouth. have you got the book into the heart, story behind every u2 song? and even walk on?

well i have said all i have on the matter fort, and i suggest you get these book and read about the TRUE meaning of the songs you mention.

Yeah mate those books are awesome mate a damn fine read for any u2 fan who wants to know the meanings behind the songs.........i just collect them because as you know im more for the music less about the meaning but i think they are a good tool to have for discussions like this.

I don't believe that I have been proven "wrong" mate - songs are open to interpretation and I'm pretty certain the ones I have highlighted are accurate. "Into the Heart" - the book - is old isn't it? I think I remember reading that in the mid 90s. I haven't read Walk On and I'm not actually interested in that - but aren't both of those books written by people other than U2 - therefore providing us largely with their own take on things as well? I found the books Bill Graham wrote about the band quite good but again, he provided his own interpretation of a lot of the songs.

Tomorrow is about Iris Hewson yes, but it simultaneously and quite cleverly doubles as a question for when Christ is returning. A Celebration is a Christian recruitment song - and you'll note it was written during their most fanatical phase when they were considering throwing it all away to follow God. Pride is a tribute to Martin Luther King Jr but the other "characters" in the song are John the Baptist and Jesus Christ - All martyrs. White as Snow is about a trooper in Afghanistan who has been shot and is dying and is repenting before he slips away (the lamb as white as snow is Jesus Christ). Magnificent is a direct song of praise from Bono to God. Unknown Caller is basically built around the whole premise of "be still and know that I am God." Stand Up Comedy is a call to "arms" - Bono's directing Christians to get off their butts and stand up for their creator and spread the "word." Breathe is built around "I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me."

In many of their songs just look at the word "love" - it is often used to mask a direct reference to Christ or God.

I could go on, but I'm really over trying to justify myself to you and MacFoley. Macca has made statements that he hasn't bothered to qualify at all even though I've asked him to. At least I've given you the courtesy of trying to explain my position. If you want to just hear what you want and be argumentative for the sake of it then that's your decision but I'm not continuing this discussion.

I'm more excied by today's announcement about the new CD and next year's tour dates.

Ciao