Why the disinterest all of a sudden?

blueyedboy

• Subscriber

After topping the Album chart for a couple of weeks the album has very rarely bothered the top 10.

Overall album sales have been comparatively poor.

The lead single failed to top the charts (first time this has happened since 1987)

Second single has failed to make the top 40 (worst chart position since 1982)

So why the disinterest in the band when in my opinion they have released their best album since POP!

There was a huge publicity campaign in the UK upon the albums release but the publicity has not been sustained is this a reason.

Is it because the two singles that have been released are not the strongest on the album (surley UC or NLOTH should have been considered ahead of boots andmagnificent).

Anyone have any opinions on why things haven't gone as smoothly as the could?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

this album doesn't seem as exciting as the last album or even atyclb. it has some good songs but it also has some really overall boring songs. i think thegeneral public really needs to be a u2 fan already in order to like this album. if i were trying to get someone into u2, i definitely wouldn't pick thisalbum as the one to introduce him/her. just my opinion.

• Subscriber

Well, there are two factors that have nothing to do with the album itself that I think had an impact on sales as compared to previous albums.

1) It was leaked onto the internet about a week before it was released. A website put the songs on sale obviously before they were supposed to-and althoughthat was stopped within two hours, the damage was done. That night all the songs were on limewire and other file sharing servers. In my opinion, that was verydisrespectful to the band. And it was likely fans who did it, bought the songs and then put them on th file-sharing things. I mean, they were going to end upthere anyway of course, but I felt that it was very rude and a slap in the face to them to have it happen before they could even RELEASE the album.

2)Record sales in general have fallen off in the past several years due to the whole downloading thing. It's been 4 1/2 years since HTDAAB...it was goingon then of course, but it's really happening more and more as time goes by.

So I think that both of those things probably had something to do with it. That being said, U2 are a great band. I doubt that a seemingly lukewarm receivedalbum makes too much of a difference. Many fans love it, myself included. Pop wasn't received so well, and for that matter neither was October, althoughthat was a different situation, haha. It happens, I guess. Not everything they do will be hailed as a masterpiece, although personally I think that most oftheir work is ;)

• Subscriber

Maybe the release date getting moved back? The extra time might have made the hype too strong for NLOTH to live up to expectations. I rank NLOTH second to onlyAB, but I understand Amber's view of not introducing a new fan to U2 with this CD.

I'm not surprised Boots didn't top the charts (my opinion of it lessened after I heard the rest of the CD), but I am surprised Magnificent didn'tcrack the Top 40. When I first heard the CD, I thought Crazy Tonight would be the biggest hit with the casual fan. We'll see.

Anyone who dislikes NLOTH but likes the rest of their stuff will shell out for the concert anyway, so it's no big deal.

My opinion, opinion only: The album is so off, it reminds me of Passengers bigtime. Which is great for musicians, not for the mainstream consumer. Theinternet putting a hurting on it, they took too long to get it out, bad choice of first single release, the economy, on and on. Looking back they for sureshould have released Magnificent first. Honestly I only listen to a couple of songs on this album. Overall as a whole, it's hurting. I'm sure it willgrow on hardcore U2 fans, but I can't see that happening to the general public. There is too much Eno and Daniel in this album, which is what U2 wanted sothis is what they get. Hopefully, they will get back to their own roots, instead of someone else's in their next album. Don't get me wrong, I boughtthe album-I just don't like most of it. The tour will make up for everything I'm sure, this will only be the second tour I missed since War tour. Ijust couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money, and everything that goes along with going to it (gas, hassles of driving for hours to the nearestvenue, paying for parking, etc.) if the album was better I might have been more motivated. In this economy, as a whole this album just doesn't work for me.LOL, it doesn't turn me on :) So, there is my take on it. Hopefully, the money that has not been made or the attention some people think this albumdeserves will be made up during the concerts and sales will increase.

• Subscriber

No Line is not an immediate "classic" U2 album and there are no "Pride", Vertigo" or "Beautiful Day" immediately radiofriendly songs. Boots was generally percieved to be an awful song on first radio plays by magazines/papers/listeners/teletext(!!!!) and to be honest is not areally great song that your average "rock fan" would buy an album on the strentgh of. I said in another thread that this record is more like a U2/Eno(and to a lesser extent Lanois) collaboration rather than a U2 album. In other words not a commercial album. I imagine people downloading it on file sharingsites and after one listening not getting it and not bothering with a physical release. Big U2 fans (like me!) are used to having to give an album time andwill - I didn't get it at first but love it now and listen to it almost every day but that patience will not be afforded by the casual music fan. In the UKthe pre release hype was centred around Boots and Breathe with Magnificent only really getting an airing on the BBC Roof. I dont think Breathe is as good asthe band obviously do but the album as a whole is divisive amongst fans never mind the public! No catchy songs on the radio = poor sales. Maybe if Magnificentwas the first single it may have changed perceptions as that is one of the few radio hit type songs on the album whatever you think about it. Also they seemintent on releasing singles on vinyl which I think is great as most of my music collection and purchses are vinyl but I know that makes me the minority. To behonest though I care little - I love it and don't care who else does!

i have to say that i am not impressed with this album. i have been a dedicated U2 fan since 1982 and have not missed a tour since joshua tree. but thisalbum...i was really disappointed. i hardly could get through it and that made me terribly sad. however, i'm still going to see them in concert on thistour and can't wait. bringing my two kids for the first time. introducing them to U2 live!

to be honest,ive not played the album in a while.its ok,but lacks that oomph that they have lacked the lsat 3 albums i think.htdaab was good.but atyclb andthis new one,were very meh!.

but i seem to be more interested in listening to doves and muse a lot more at the moment.

that said though u2 live will be off the scale.i just think the album isint really that great an album.

• Subscriber

blueyedboy wrote:

After topping the Album chart for a couple of weeks the album has very rarely bothered the top 10.

Overall album sales have been comparatively poor.

The lead single failed to top the charts (first time this has happened since 1987)

Second single has failed to make the top 40 (worst chart position since 1982)

So why the disinterest in the band when in my opinion they have released their best album since POP!

There was a huge publicity campaign in the UK upon the albums release but the publicity has not been sustained is this a reason.

Is it because the two singles that have been released are not the strongest on the album (surley UC or NLOTH should have been considered ahead of boots and magnificent).

Anyone have any opinions on why things haven't gone as smoothly as the could?

This album does not beat POP - it is in fact rather dull - the best song on it is White as Snow, and they only wrote the lyrics for it...

I don't even like the previous album (Atomic Bomb) but it sounds much better compared to this.