Why the disinterest all of a sudden?

blueyedboy

• Subscriber

Funny that many don't like this album that well. I've found that I actually like this one a lot better than the last few. There's something matureabout it, IMO. I'm not big into the spiritual aspects, but I love the sounds of the songs. The weaker songs for me, "Crazy" and "NoLine," are the only ones I'm tempted to skip over. I think it's extremely difficult, in this "High School Musical"/American Idol/Hip Hopculture to be an album oriented rock band. The masses, at this point, are looking for what I consider commercialized crap. Not sure I want U2 to go there justto be popular...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I thought HTDAAB was okay and liked ATYCLB a lot. I like a few songs on the new one but overall the album just doesn't do much for me and leaves me kindacold. Some of the songs I just don't think are all that interesting (a few of them I actually find to be kinda boring)and I think Bono'sperformance--singing and songwriting-wise--is pretty shaky (I will say that Larry and especially Adam have rarely sounded better). Just my opinion and I'mhardly gonna belittle people who think the album is their best since Achtung Baby just because that's not what I hear when I listen to it. Good bandsoccasionally put out material you think is sub-par, it happens. Hell, even Babe Ruth truck out every once in a while, right?

• Subscriber

I must say that I'm really surprised that Magnificent hasn't even cracked the Top 40. I figured that if there was going to be a smash hit from this CDit would definitely be Magnificent. I love Boots, but I don't think its Top 10 material; it's a little too out there. (Top 20, maybe.) Maybe it'sjust been so long since the last album that radio has sort of lost interest in the band? Popular media, especially in the U.S., has the attention span of agnat, and if a band doesn't put out a new CD every year or two, they sort of wash their hands of that group. If this is true, it's really sad, becausethey're missing out on some great music from this CD.

• Subscriber

Bob Dylan has the number 1 album this week. His 33rd album "Together Through Life" debuted at #1 on both the US and UK charts this week. In fact, this makes him the oldest artist to debut at #1. Not bad for an old timer, huh?

NLOTH has fallen to #34 from #22 this week.

To address the topic of the thread: I don't necessarily think the disinterest in NLOTH is "all of a sudden". I also do not think the issue ofthe downloads hurt them in anyway. I highly doubt the casual or non fan's even bothered with the downloads. Only the avid fans were interested in thoseand I'm sure those fans went out and bought the CD when it was released. I already had my copy preordered by that point and I would guess that many otheravid fans did the same.

I don't think this album had any appeal to reach many outside their fan base. Get On Your Boots certainly didn't help sales any. My local rock radiostation plays U2 all the time, but even they haven't been playing the new singles all that much. They've been playing other, older U2 songs, but notthe new singles.

I'm just starting to think this album was a "miss" for them, when it comes to mass appeal.

Edited because I apparently lack the skills to proof read before hitting the submit button. eyes.gif

• Subscriber

Bob Dylan has the number 1 album this week. His 33rd album "Together Through Life" debuted at #1 on both the US and UK charts this week. In fact, this makes him the oldest artist to debut at #1. Not bad for an old timer, huh?

NLOTH has fallen to #34 from #22 this week.

To address the topic of the thread: I don't necessarily think the disinterest in NLOTH is "all of a sudden". I also do not think the issue ofthe downloads hurt them in anyway. I highly doubt the casual or non fan's even bothered with the downloads. Only the avid fans were interested in thoseand I'm sure those fans went out and bought the CD when it was released. I already had my copy preordered by that point and I would guess that many otheravid fans did the same.

I don't think this album had any appeal to reach many outside their fan base. Get On Your Boots certainly didn't help sales any. My local rock radiostation plays U2 all the time, but even they haven't been playing the new singles all that much. They've been playing other, older U2 songs, but notthe new singles.

I'm just starting to think this album was a "miss" for them, when it comes to mass appeal.

Edited because I apparently lack the skills to proof read before hitting the submit button. eyes.gif

LinneaS wrote:

I must say that I'm really surprised that Magnificent hasn't even cracked the Top 40. I figured that if there was going to be a smash hit from this CD it would definitely be Magnificent. I love Boots, but I don't think its Top 10 material; it's a little too out there. (Top 20, maybe.) Maybe it's just been so long since the last album that radio has sort of lost interest in the band? Popular media, especially in the U.S., has the attention span of a gnat, and if a band doesn't put out a new CD every year or two, they sort of wash their hands of that group. If this is true, it's really sad, because they're missing out on some great music from this CD.

Thanks for this thread - it's one of the more interesting threads that I have seen on this side of the Zoo. I really love Linnea'scomments which is why I added them before mine.

I agree with most of the comments made so far and have a lot of ideas of my own about this subject but will only mention one of them right now.

We have to remember that U2 did not go into making this LP/CD to please the public - they went into making NLOTH to please themselves and to rediscover anotherreason WHY they should continue to make music with each other.

That difference in orientation probably ends up with an effect that this album may not reach the sort of popularity that the two previous U2 releases have.

But U2 have realized that making music that you enjoy; making music that inspires & delights you - is ultimately the BEST reason to make music....and I amglad that they are not caving into the need to be popular that is so rampant in modern music.

I have other comments to make....in a little while. ~

Thanks for this thread, blueeyedboy.

LOVE & PEACE, HOPE & JOY, MERCY & GRACE - debbie happy.gif

www.whiteband.org

LinneaS wrote:

I must say that I'm really surprised that Magnificent hasn't even cracked the Top 40. I figured that if there was going to be a smash hit from this CD it would definitely be Magnificent. I love Boots, but I don't think its Top 10 material; it's a little too out there. (Top 20, maybe.) Maybe it's just been so long since the last album that radio has sort of lost interest in the band? Popular media, especially in the U.S., has the attention span of a gnat, and if a band doesn't put out a new CD every year or two, they sort of wash their hands of that group. If this is true, it's really sad, because they're missing out on some great music from this CD.

Thanks for this thread - it's one of the more interesting threads that I have seen on this side of the Zoo. I really love Linnea'scomments which is why I added them before mine.

I agree with most of the comments made so far and have a lot of ideas of my own about this subject but will only mention one of them right now.

We have to remember that U2 did not go into making this LP/CD to please the public - they went into making NLOTH to please themselves and to rediscover anotherreason WHY they should continue to make music with each other.

That difference in orientation probably ends up with an effect that this album may not reach the sort of popularity that the two previous U2 releases have.

But U2 have realized that making music that you enjoy; making music that inspires & delights you - is ultimately the BEST reason to make music....and I amglad that they are not caving into the need to be popular that is so rampant in modern music.

www.whiteband.org

LinneaS wrote:

www.whiteband.org

LinneaS wrote:

www.whiteband.org

LinneaS wrote:

www.whiteband.org