Why the disinterest all of a sudden?

blueyedboy

• Subscriber

I think U2's time is up commercially,the younger bands are getting the limelight now,U2 will always be a huge pull tour wise etc,the fans will still buythe albums but,as for reaching out to new fans,can't see it anymore.Is that a problem? Probably not,fan base is huge.As for the whole album leaked on thenet reason why sales so bad....I don't buy it,sorry but thats an excuse,its happened to alot of artists/bands recently,in fact everyones album gets leakednowadays but,these sales are poor considering were talking about U2...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

When did U2 become more about album sales and being "bigger" than any other band than making good music? At some point they aren't going to beable to reach the 16 year olds anymore. That shouldn't be their target fan base anyway. Unless they are focusing only on popularity and money...

wahine wrote:

My opinion, opinion only: The album is so off, it reminds me of Passengers bigtime. Which is great for musicians, not for the mainstream consumer. The internet putting a hurting on it, they took too long to get it out, bad choice of first single release, the economy, on and on. Looking back they for sure should have released Magnificent first. Honestly I only listen to a couple of songs on this album. Overall as a whole, it's hurting. I'm sure it will grow on hardcore U2 fans, but I can't see that happening to the general public. There is too much Eno and Daniel in this album, which is what U2 wanted so this is what they get. Hopefully, they will get back to their own roots, instead of someone else's in their next album. Don't get me wrong, I bought the album-I just don't like most of it. The tour will make up for everything I'm sure, this will only be the second tour I missed since War tour. I just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money, and everything that goes along with going to it (gas, hassles of driving for hours to the nearest venue, paying for parking, etc.) if the album was better I might have been more motivated. In this economy, as a whole this album just doesn't work for me. LOL, it doesn't turn me on
:)
So, there is my take on it. Hopefully, the money that has not been made or the attention some people think this album deserves will be made up during the concerts and sales will increase.

When I first listened to NLOTH, the first thought that came to mind was the Passengers' second album. Don't get me wrong though, I still jam to it.

• Subscriber

acrobat82 wrote:

When did U2 become more about album sales and being "bigger" than any other band than making good music? At some point they aren't going to be able to reach the 16 year olds anymore. That shouldn't be their target fan base anyway. Unless they are focusing only on popularity and money...

I really can't fault them for hoping to pick up newer fans, nor do I think that it's a sleight to the older fans. And truly, they have such anamazing age range as it is right now so obviously some of their newer stuff attracted younger fans along the way. I think that's cool. What artistdoesn't hope that their music continually reaches a bigger audience? With that mentality you hope that they're always keeping things fresh. But youcertainly can't write songs with that specific idea in mind and keep them from sounding contrived. I really don't think that U2 do that. I do think, or at least I hope, that they do indeed write what they want to hear, what moves them to record in terms of what they want to say and what they want to playthat represents them as a band. I don't need a commercially successful album from them to like it or for it to appeal to me. Hey, I liked Pop. tongue.gif I just can't get into this new one and it would be that way no matterwhat happened with it commerically or otherwise.

But for anyone to actually think or believe they weren't hoping for commerical success is laughable. Of course they were. Every band does and the oneswho say they don't are lying. I've yet to ever hear any artist piss and moan because their album broke records sitting at number 1 for weeks on endand I don't expect I ever will.

• Subscriber

acrobat82 wrote:

When did U2 become more about album sales and being "bigger" than any other band than making good music? At some point they aren't going to be able to reach the 16 year olds anymore. That shouldn't be their target fan base anyway. Unless they are focusing only on popularity and money...

I really can't fault them for hoping to pick up newer fans, nor do I think that it's a sleight to the older fans. And truly, they have such anamazing age range as it is right now so obviously some of their newer stuff attracted younger fans along the way. I think that's cool. What artistdoesn't hope that their music continually reaches a bigger audience? With that mentality you hope that they're always keeping things fresh. But youcertainly can't write songs with that specific idea in mind and keep them from sounding contrived. I really don't think that U2 do that. I do think, or at least I hope, that they do indeed write what they want to hear, what moves them to record in terms of what they want to say and what they want to playthat represents them as a band. I don't need a commercially successful album from them to like it or for it to appeal to me. Hey, I liked Pop. tongue.gif I just can't get into this new one and it would be that way no matterwhat happened with it commerically or otherwise.

But for anyone to actually think or believe they weren't hoping for commerical success is laughable. Of course they were. Every band does and the oneswho say they don't are lying. I've yet to ever hear any artist piss and moan because their album broke records sitting at number 1 for weeks on endand I don't expect I ever will.

• Subscriber

123love wrote:

I agree with you , the radio stations I listen to hardly ever play the new u2 tunes just mainly the old stuff , so it really doesnt give much chance for nloth to ignite on people....

That's very true. I don't listen to Top 40 radio so I'm not certain what the level of rotation of play is for the new U2 singles. I do know thaton the rock station I listen to, beyond the first few days the new singles had come out, they aren't being played. The older stuff is still being playedquite a bit though. I just heard Pride on my way home today, in fact.

And, while I was at a music festival this weekend, they had one of the DJ's spinning tunes between bands and Vertigo was played.

• Subscriber

123love wrote:

I agree with you , the radio stations I listen to hardly ever play the new u2 tunes just mainly the old stuff , so it really doesnt give much chance for nloth to ignite on people....

That's very true. I don't listen to Top 40 radio so I'm not certain what the level of rotation of play is for the new U2 singles. I do know thaton the rock station I listen to, beyond the first few days the new singles had come out, they aren't being played. The older stuff is still being playedquite a bit though. I just heard Pride on my way home today, in fact.

And, while I was at a music festival this weekend, they had one of the DJ's spinning tunes between bands and Vertigo was played.

• Subscriber

the fact remains that just about all major established rock/indie bands in the UK have seen their most recent

releases fall in sales compared to previous albums and they dont have 30 yerars to their name either. Most of them

are on their 4th album or so and already the decline has set in which they are unlikely to revese.

Coldplay (compared to the last 2)

Snow Patrol

Oasis

Kaiser chiefs

keane

The Enemy

Franz Ferdinand

Doves

The Manics

There will be a few more to add the the list shortly as well when their albums come out.

To verying degress all of these and more have seen sales and popularity slide. U2 have lasted

commercially at the top of the game for 25years , completely unprecedented in modern times

and they should be lauded for that, and if anything the comparisons should be with todays market

not their own previous sales, at some point they had to find their own level in the market today

instead of just leading it which they have done for so many years and no new artist will ever repeat

that prolonged success again, its all to fickle now.

Hand on heart how many of us could ever have dreamed 15 years ago that they would still be

having world wide no 1 records that still sell millions of records all these years on and still be

seeing stadium concerts on the edge od new technolgy. Being a long term U2 fan has given

you a ride that you could never have dreamed of and that no modern day band has or could repeat

. Its been an honour and a privilage to be with them virtually form the start. Quite frankly i assumed this

might be theit last album/tour, if they do another one , then the honour is extended and i wont care

hoe many it sells, cos i'll see it as being for me A FAN and all those like me. Sod the sales.

WE LOVE AND THANK THEM FOR AN ASTONISHING CAREER AND JOURNEY>

• Subscriber

I think there are a number of extraneous factors.

1. I think Bono's campaigning, as much as i condone it, has demystified the band. They don't have the same allure they did in the times of Achtung babyfor example, because they're simply too accessible now.

2. They're too caught up with staying relevant to the extent that that it is affecting the music they create. They really should reflect on the cajonesthey had to make a guitar album in the 80s when all around them were loosing their heads in a word of synthesised beeps and sweeps. I think the lack ofinterest in the band at the moment is actually hangover from 'party' of the last two albums, which real fans pretended to enjoy because they broughtthe band back into the mainstream. Genuine fans, I think, were aghast that a man who could write such rounded stories within a song, - (Until the end of thethe world, Running to Stand still, Love is blindness), could rhyme mole with hole. There seemed to be some kind of compromise made between lyrical integrityand popular appeal.

My worry now is for the band's legacy. That said, I think White as snow is a beautiful a lyric as they've written, layered with meaning and maturity;the line about poppies laughing under a crescent moon is worth the entry fee alon. Moment of surrender is a real grower too, but there's something missingat present - immediacy - that killer ear for, or at least the confidence to execute, a simple 'route one' melody which typified their early work.i'm listening to Red Hill Mining town as i type, hardly a major track from the Joshua tree, and yet it's melodically more arresting and memorable thanmost of the material on the new album.

And when Im at it - I'll just come out and say it, when the fuck is Edge gonna give us a solo to get our teeth into again?