Why the disinterest all of a sudden?

blueyedboy

• Subscriber

prksoda00 wrote:

Soda wrote:

tacosontheceiling wrote:

Most of them have awful taste in music these days,

To be fair older people have awful taste in music too.

Good point. The Eagles have a MASSIVE fanbase
I get the feeling Prksoda doesn't care much for the Eagles?? laugh.gif

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Gary Sabo wrote:

a few things i'm thinking...

1, if you remember the ATYCLB sales were really good cause people was expecting an album like that... after what happened with POP (in my opinion a GREAT album) and the album had a very good first single Beautiful Day

2, HTDAAB (in my opinion a better album than ATYCLB) had a great first single Vertigo (commercially speaking) it was played everywhere and i do mean EVERYWHERE

3, sad but true if an album is not selling well in the US is very difficult that sales are going to be good in the rest of the world.... again sad but true, if you remember after Vertigo they had the chance to perform in the superbowl were they did the tribute for 9/11 people that was killed and guess what.... media, radio, tv they all went crazy, people in the US had a big connection with the album-lyrics

4, after those two albums U2 went into studio and did an AMAZING album but the thing is that it's not a commercial album... they didn't care much about singles, cause the way it is written and made is totally different and of course what everybody knows already, economic situation, illegal downloads... etc.

5, i also think that Get On Your Boots was misinterpret by being presented as the follow-up of Vertigo... cause is a very strong and song to get at the first time unlike Vertigo

6, it is true that the album has a lot of Eno-Lanois sound but i do believe that the way it was written is gonna help them a lot to keep on doing not only music... but GREAT music in the future

7, i do have to confess that i had to listen to it a few times before a really like it, but from the beginning i could realize that No Line, Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, Stand Up and FEZ-Being Born had a great potencial... and by now i can tell that Magnificent is one of the BEST songs i've ever heard and that this album is a REAL Masterpiece but for REAL fans only... i think, and i'm really looking forward to hear the next one, for me this album has a Zooropa thing... and i just LOVE IT

finally, i'm much more concerned about U2 saying that they had 50 to 60 songs to work with and that at this time we haven't heard any B-side... and i'm really sad and pissed off at the same time about the "BoxSet" they release, i mean that is the worse BoxSet i've got
... the album (with no special package), the DVD Linear (with the only and lonely B-side) with no documental, not even a 10 min one!!! no nothing!!! and a disappointing poster, the only good thing it has is the book.... i don't know is just that i haven't been able to accept it!

but how can you denied that Adam is at his best or that Bono is singing like the angels (again) or that Larry is really hitting it! or that Edge... Edge... Edge is just MAGNIFICENT

so there you go.... a REAL Masterpiece for REAL fans

AMEN.

• Subscriber

ultraviolet love14 wrote:

prksoda00 wrote:

It is harder for a lot of the general populace to get into because it requires you to dig deeper. Kind of like the jump from War to UFF/ Both great albums, but completely different and requiring differing methods to deconstruct.

I love NLOTH - and I say this as someone who has followed U2 from the start. As you say, when people have to dig deeper with music, they often lose interest in it.

But for those who want music that presents new sounds & possibly a new direction, they'll find it in NLOTH.

All the Best, debbie

ANOTHER AMEN. So much of this cd has a catholic bent to it. Perhaps that's why people aren't getting into it the way they did otherreleases of U2. I'm a devout Catholic and it's all over the new cd. I love it.

tacosontheceiling wrote:

prksoda00 wrote:

Soda wrote:

tacosontheceiling wrote:

Most of them have awful taste in music these days,

To be fair older people have awful taste in music too.

Good point. The Eagles have a MASSIVE fanbase
I get the feeling Prksoda doesn't care much for the Eagles??
laugh.gif

The Eagles used to just be a simple annoyance to me. Then I read an interview where Don Henley talked shit about both Zappa and Rush. So fuck him and his pieceof shit band. Hes just jealous because neither of the bands/people he mentioned wasted half their life on cocaine, as he has. Also, if anyone here has read"At The End of The World" you can vouch for what a royal dick he is. NLOTH OWNS....still.

I really still don't care about the charts, when you walk on the street and you hear the song that is definitively U2 sound, suddenly you can'thesitate to feel release... from that kind of fearless around us, do you see too? It's a song (magnificent) you can take in two ways: First you might sayinside Ahhhh magnificent when you need to ear it a kind of lifebuoys, or it can make you say what is magnificent today? Wars are everywhere, recession arewaiting around the corner to grab you by the heel, people show there theet... You see it work in both side... An at the end people will sing in the show 360roll.gifMAGNIFICENT!!!... That says, what are we talking about?wink.gif

• Subscriber

they don't seem particularly arsed with anything any more. album cover already used by someone else stick an equals sign on it to make it different, tookfive years to make and was hyped to bits by everyone including the band - but didn't deliver or live up to the hype for many fans, boots is below averageb-side material (although I raved about it at the time), magnificent is pretty average too, it's all about marketing (or not ref Magnificent single),somethings not right when your producers are co-writing material, back lash was bound to happen it always does, the new mnaterial is not exciting when youcompare it with some of the younger bands out these days.

that said Breathe and No Line are two stunning songs, but not worth the five year wait, i'm hungry for more new U2 material now - not in another 5 years

• Subscriber

I agree with you, Josh, about the wait between CD's. That's what inevitably happens though when bands have been around for a long time. (I'm surethere are exceptions) They've got other commitments and priorities, which is understandable.

SOA will be out soon enough, so we'll see how that turns out.

• Subscriber

U2 are an album band and they shift a lot upfront. I own the album and love it. To me that's the only thing that counts. To be fair, I think if it were notfor illegal downloads it would have shifted a fair few more. Saying that I bet there's a lot of bands who would love to shift 6+ million copies of a albumand they wouldn't be thinking poor sales.

agt01 wrote:

Saying that I bet there's a lot of bands who would love to shift 6+ million copies of a album and they wouldn't be thinking poor sales.

Are you referring to NLOTH? Because I'm pretty sure it hasn't sold anywhere near 6+ million.