Is U2 Pro-Evolution?

Mr Fly wrote:

On additional thought--and, I typically hate trying to read too much into other people's stuff-- but thisgraphic might also be mocking the idea of evolution, since the upright man ends up just with a shopping cart in his hands--not really the highest of allpossible achievements.

Yeah..whatever. I continue to hope that these guys are far more sophisticated then they sometimes appear to be in public. I will take the possibility ofmanipulative cynicism-for-profit on their part over a possible lack of fundamental capacity any day--although, both are fairly distasteful.

Actually, there was that line in a song of the last album--"in science and in medicine, I was a stranger, you took me in...." And B was willing toseriously say in his book that he figures it is more likely Jesus is the son of god than any other possible interpretation, otherwise the last 2000 years wouldnot have been so tied up in "His" character. Well...that is not an overly sophisticated bit of reasoning on any number of fronts.

Yeah...ok...so doubt creeps back in. I do have a tendency to over-estimate people....and there have been a few times when I truly suspected that Bono was justa f-ing idiot.

But...no...no no...I will continue to believe they are modern, intelligent men until definitively proven otherwise. Otherwise, I will have to pawn my ticketto the highest bidder and contribute the proceeds to an Anti-Dark Ages group! :D

I would absolutely die if I found out I was supporting someone(s) who thinks we were plopped down on earth just a few thousand years ago.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Community Moderator

Tracy M wrote:

Kristaps wrote:

Does it really matter what they think about this question?

Um, yeah, it would matter for some of us who believe that much of U2's music espouses a Christian world-view, with which evolution theory would be wholly inconsistent.

shame.gif

I b

I believe that Bono is right. Love is evolution. I am pro evolution with love comes awakening. I believe "Bono", the greatest artist in the Universeis one of our kind who is special, unique, only one of him in the Universe, but with an exception, he is an original of us. Such as a leader of us. A spiritualone, an enlightened one, a man that I can pin point up in the heavens as being one extremely, rare, shining star (angel) amongst us. I respect him deeply, asso the other 3 of the band, I know for a fact, that there is only one Man that is a light amongst us and me, that man is Mr. Paul David Hewson, aka, mybeloved Prince Bono. A humble man for whom I cried a day or two ago, while reading the birthday wishes for him. We need more humans like him. He can helphumanity grow in the spirit and awaken many to the fact that we are subject to God. God is in us, all around us, everywhere, so close, that one can even feelstupid after finding him in the simplest and closest distance. Like if you pick up a deep burgundy, purple, blue or yellow flower. You see beauty that isincomprehensible, I cry from seeying so much beauty and people seem not to be able to see this things.

you know man didn't create that, that was God for us. Everything is for us to enjoy, to love, to be with God, God is all over us. Bono, he is so loved. Iam happy to be around still, happy to be alive, happy to be alive during his time here on this earthly Realm, even though he is not here in close proximity tome, I feel him close all of the time, he is a constant source of happiness in thoughts. It could be raining bullets here, but if I should hear his voicesuddenly, I become very very content, happy, filled with this happiness that I can't explain. I like him in the water, free to roam the ocean, can youimagine "Bono" picking a Banana from a banana tree itself, picking his fruits from his own garden, which by the way might be full of all kinds offlowers, as it should be for the Prince. Flowers are a sign of love, purity, God. Reminding him, me and the world, that his beauty surpasses all and we shouldlook inward and call out to God with intensity to come to us, be with us, be one with us.

Bono is evolution itself. He is taking us, sort of preparing us for a new way of things, for a change in the way things have been to a new better way, anenlightened, humanity not a sleeping humanity, away from God, we walk in the path of light, Bono is our guide our help. He is a leader amongst us, a light,that I want to be close to somehow. I want to go to his Realm and bring him here to my Realm so I could meet him face to face, energy to energy, what a thrillthat would be for me, I get to live to age maybe 66 and I also get to meet and cross channels with the him, Bono, the one the lost little girl has beensearching for all of her life from within her, dreaming of the day he would enter her realm in her time in person, I get to be with him even if its just for ashort while. This is a wish from my soul I have. One Love, One Life, One Prince.

• Subscriber

LifeFactory wrote:

Mr Fly wrote:

On additional thought--and, I typically hate trying to read too much into other people's stuff-- but this graphic might also be mocking the idea of evolution, since the upright man ends up just with a shopping cart in his hands--not really the highest of all possible achievements.

Yeah..whatever. I continue to hope that these guys are far more sophisticated then they sometimes appear to be in public. I will take the possibility of manipulative cynicism-for-profit on their part over a possible lack of fundamental capacity any day--although, both are fairly distasteful.

Actually, there was that line in a song of the last album--"in science and in medicine, I was a stranger, you took me in...." And B was willing to seriously say in his book that he figures it is more likely Jesus is the son of god than any other possible interpretation, otherwise the last 2000 years would not have been so tied up in "His" character. Well...that is not an overly sophisticated bit of reasoning on any number of fronts.

Yeah...ok...so doubt creeps back in. I do have a tendency to over-estimate people....and there have been a few times when I truly suspected that Bono was just a f-ing idiot.

But...no...no no...I will continue to believe they are modern, intelligent men until definitively proven otherwise. Otherwise, I will have to pawn my ticket to the highest bidder and contribute the proceeds to an Anti-Dark Ages group!
:D

I would absolutely die if I found out I was supporting someone(s) who thinks we were plopped down on earth just a few thousand years ago.

Obviously the graphic U2 used on Popmart was being ironic about pop culture, and not an endorsement or criticism of evolution itself, but theconsumerism of modern society. Since I don't look to rock n roll stars (or anyone else, for that matter) for any validation of my own conclusions aboutfaith or reason, I don't have much to add. I just wanted to post that picture as it was one of my favorite moments from the Popmart tours. I do rememberinterviews from around the release of the last album Bono talking about how science and faith are not mutually exclusive, Never mentioned evolution per se, butI'd surmise that a reconciliatory position between science and faith would include some acceptance of evolution.

Tracy M wrote:

Kristaps wrote:

Um, yeah, it would matter for some of us who believe that much of U2's music espouses a Christian world-view, with which evolution theory would be wholly inconsistent.

The notion that Christianity and evolution are somehow in conflict is a very narrow position favored by a small but vocal faction, who in turn are reallydriven by a hard-line conservative agenda: opposition to human rights and equality, ending separation of church and state, and pretty much just abolishinganything to do with modern political democracy.

A majority of Christians world-wide have no problem with modern science, including evolution.

Some of us do, however, have a problem with weasly right-wingers pushing bad politics by using really bad theology.

-- eaplatt

• Subscriber

Evolution is not a religion. It's a scientific theory. Is America the only country where people equate belief in dogma with accepting the validity ofcurrent scientific theory? Sad commentary on the state of scientific education in our country.

Science is an ever changing process of discovering facts about the world. New hypotheses are critiqued by scientists worldwide. They are tested by scientistsof all points of view and religion who would often love to come up with new evidence that proves something different. If these hypotheses stand up to scrutinyand testing, they are considered theory. Science can and does change. We are constantly using science to refine our view of the world. It is not dogma. So far,science has pointed us to an evolutionary origin. Almost all scientists (regardless of religious belief or cultural bias) agree that the evidence, thus far,supports the theory of evolution. It is not a "belief" in the sense that one can "believe" in Jesus or Mohammad or Santa Claus.

Religion, on the other hand, is completely dependent on dogma and fixed doctrines that are unsupported by objective evidence. It never changes--it is notallowed to change as new evidence points in different directions. Religion is often completely dependent on cultural and religious bias and does not stand upto scrutiny from those on the outside. "Belief" in religion is based on faith--not evidence.

I would hope that the guys in U2 are educated enough to accept current scientific theory and can see the difference between that and belief in dogma.

• Subscriber

Max Tsukino wrote:

Tracy M wrote:

Kristaps wrote:

Seriously, Max. I feel the same way. To be honest, I just knew this thread would be an issue for some.

So the question is, if U2 did believe in evolution, would you stop being U2 Fans? Why can't people just listen to the music and be done with it? Whyshould it matter?

• Subscriber

Max Tsukino wrote:

Tracy M wrote:

Kristaps wrote:

Seriously, Max. I feel the same way. To be honest, I just knew this thread would be an issue for some.

So the question is, if U2 did believe in evolution, would you stop being U2 Fans? Why can't people just listen to the music and be done with it? Whyshould it matter?

• Subscriber

First, I have to say that I am really sick and tired of the people on this site who seem to think that people who have faith and believe in a Christianworld view are STUPID. Trust me -- many of us are very well-educated and have taken the time to think things through as opposed to simply having doctrineshovelled down our throats. I actually became a Christian as a result of that type of study and reflection.

Second, when I responded to the original question, I assumed the questioner was referring directly to the theory that man is descended from apes. THATparticular evolution theory is in direct conflict with the Christian world view, given that the Bible clearly states that we are made by God in His image. Thatdoes NOT mean that God could not have, in His Creation, experimented with other creatures over time, or what have you. A few things to think about:

1. God made the world in 7 days (which Bono reminds in Wake Up Dead Man). But nowhere in the Bible does it state that a day in God`s terms at that time wassame as our 24-hour day of the present. God is infinite - so who are we to put parameters on what His day might beÉ
2. It is very possible - heck, likely, even - that God made many creatures and tried different things -- and created some of them to evolve over time - beforehe got round to creating man. Why not - it`s His world and He can do what He wants. Nothing is impossible for God. Look at it this way - why, after making allkinds of flora and fauna, did God choose to give speech only to manÉ
3. Most Christians do not dispute or deny science - we simply see the science in a different light - because we start from the premise that the science wascreated by God.

In other words, Acrobat hit the nail on the head in differentiating between ``belief`and ``theory.` For many Believers, we can believe in Creation, but stillagree to accept the theory of evolution as it pertains to the world around us - just not to the actual creation of man himself. That is why we have somethingcalled faith - but that doesn`t make us stupid or ill-educated.