Is U2 Pro-Evolution?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad has read the bible more than me you can take that, shove it and I love GOD...

not you but for the people I mean for example gays I made a video on Youtube over 1,000 views...

they break custom, dishonor tradition when they want to marry

The first people's were of man and woman, vise versa...woman, man marriages...

We did not come from primeapes...evolution to a degree and no not monkies

and No evolution is not like Pokemon THATS FICTION...reality is that evolution IS NOT magical...

it takes years, years, years IF ANY evo...thousands...a couple of thousand atleast....

My friend went to college 9 years, got rejected by nine...he got a few c's mostly b's...

educated??? He wants to get his masters but feels disappointed...

I wish I had seen the Popmart tour. I hear it was not that popular with the "fans." But I think I would have liked it. And, I had heard it was all awry critique of consumer culture.

As far as "God" only giving speech to humans--this is not true. There is a lot of data now indicating language and language structures among otherspecies, and not just apes, but also elephants, some birds, dolphins and even some insects. These are more than just random noises or chemical signals, andactually exhibit context and some type of simple syntax, as well as exhibiting a capacity for memory AND self-awareness. Yep, you read that right.

When I have more time, I'll post a few links to some of the research. Just because you may not understand what other species are saying, doesn't meanthey are not "talking." You are likely just not listening, and based on your views, are inclined not to. Scientists who are "listening" arebeginning to decode what is being "said."

Christians are not stupid by virtue of being Christians. And many serious scientists are also people of "faith"--Christian or otherwise.

But the absolute negation and dismissal of everything that has been learned since the Enlightenment, is about as short-sighted, un-informed and embarrassinglysimplistic as one can possibly get. And anyone who really thinks that they are going to be able to carry-on in this fashion and be regarded as in any waycredible is, well....just foolish.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it is about time people be a bit more courageous about putting this nonsense down. If you don't want to be mocked and dismssed,then stop being so silly.

Would you really have wanted to be one of the millions of people who spent a few hundred years continuing to think that the sun revolved around the earth afterit had been definitively proven this is not the case? I mean...would you really have wanted to be one of those? Because "the church" kept thatinformation out of the heads of humanity for a very very very long time. Gee...thanks.

I have a question for those who reject the theory of evolution to explain the rise of human animals on the planet.

It is just a theoretical question, asked mearly out of curiosity, to see how you are thinking.

As humans continue to improve upon their own design--through genetic engineering, for example, and other types of agumentation, how does this fit into youridea that "man is created in the image of god?" When we begin to alter our design at its most fundamental levels, where will humans stand in relationto "god" at that point?

Thanks.

• Subscriber

Where I was born and now live, and I think in most of Europe, there is no notion of any contradiction between being a Christian and accepting Darwin'stheories, I studied in a Catholic school and the teacher who taught it to us was a nun, she, of course, made a point on insisting that it didn't mean thatthe Bible is not true, I can remember a sentence from her explaining to us that God is infinite, but man isn't, He must speak to us in a different languageeach time, so we can understand Him. All the schools here teach evolution and offer all the data we have up to now, I consider this is being scientificallyhonest, why denying evidence? do you think that any belief can be grounded on lies and secrets? my faith doesn't depend on how God created man, I believeGod created man, and I am prepared to acknowledge that very likely I won't ever understand how He did it.

I really think that making science and religion incompatible is a kind of extremism that doesn't benefit anyone, especially religion.

• Subscriber

LifeFactory wrote:

I have a question for those who reject the theory of evolution to explain the rise of human animals on the planet.

It is just a theoretical question, asked mearly out of curiosity, to see how you are thinking.

As humans continue to improve upon their own design--through genetic engineering, for example, and other types of agumentation, how does this fit into your idea that "man is created in the image of god?" When we begin to alter our design at its most fundamental levels, where will humans stand in relation to "god" at that point?

Thanks.

I appreciate your asking this question in seriousness and curiosity - especially since I honestly have felt that some of your posts here do boildown to implying that those who believe in Creation are stupid.

As to your question, it is actually very simple -- man is not supposed to alter his design at our most fundamental levels through such things as geneticengineering. That is man playing God. There is a difference between the medical advancements that provide healing or eradicate disease and actually messingwith genetics. Where man has gone - and is going -- is roughly the same place we were going when a bunch of guys got together and decided to build the tower ofBabel. Prior to that, all of mankind shared a common language that allowed everyone to communicate - but man started trying to put himself on the same level asGod -- and God's response was to create language barriers and scatter the people of the earth. That was God's way of knocking us down a few pegs... andI'm sure He will do it again at some point.

And to anticipate your next 2 questions, 1) Yes, God did give us the brains with which we have learned HOW to do these things through science and 2) Yes, Godknew we would go down this road - so why does He allow it to happen -- for the same reasons that He allows natural disasters and things like 911. Because 1)tragedy provides an opportunity for Christians to demonstrate God's love in the world and 2) adversity such as moral dilemmas or social policy provides anopportunity for believers to be challenged to Stand Up for their Love.

Tracy, I genuinely appreciate your responding to my question, and I asked it in good faith and out of genuine curiosity, and I do sincerely appreicate yourresponding.

But, I feel compelled to be completely candid with you and say that your line of --I cannot in "good faith" call it reasoning--but your lineof...ummm..conjecturing, utterly, thoroughly and profoundly depresses me. Tracy, I am sure you do not realize it, but... this is the rationale of a religiousfanatic.... .... .... It really is.

Nevertheless, thank you.

• Subscriber

LifeFactory wrote:

Tracy, I genuinely appreciate your responding to my question, and I asked it in good faith and out of genuine curiosity, and I do sincerely appreicate your responding.

But, I feel compelled to be completely candid with you and say that your line of --I cannot in "good faith" call it reasoning--but your line of...ummm..conjecturing, utterly, thoroughly and profoundly depresses me. Tracy, I am sure you do not realize it, but... this is the rationale of a religious fanatic.... .... .... It really is.

Nevertheless, thank you.

Sorry... but I'm still chuckling... as are a number of people to whom I emailed your response, Life Factory. I am about as far from a fanaticas you can get. I do not judge others and actually have no use for people (like some of my in-laws) who are self-righteous and spend most of their time beingindignant about how my husband and choose to live our lives and raise our children. I work day in and day out with people of various faiths - includingMuslim, Catholic, Jewish, and Eastern Orthodox. Several of them have told me they find it funny that I attend a Pentecostal church because I am definitely nothow they have come to see Pentecostals - especially if they have been on the receiving end of one of my rants when they have failed to perform their duties. :)But then again, I also see some things in my own church as over-rated.

I'm really not sure what part of my "conjecture" you find so depressing or fanatical. I simply believe that everything happens for a reason, andthat God has a plan for each and every person - whether they choose to believe it or not. What the plan for other people is, I cannot say and would neverattempt to. All I can do is focus on the plan for me and my family and to try to be the wife, mother, sister and friend that God wants me to be. Part of thatincludes studying the Word to the best of my ability and doing my best to apply Biblical principles - including tolerance, forgiveness and compassion - to theway I live.

As far as my stand on genetic engineering of the human body, well, it's really the same a my stand on abortion, and of course there are many who woulddisagree with me on that as well. For believers, these compelling societal questions have to be viewed in Biblical context, and that is that God is the giverand taker of life - so therefore, genetic mutation, cloning, abortion and assisted suicide are all contrary to God's laws. At the same time, I do notbelieve that HIV/AIDS is God's punishment for homosexuals (now that's fanatical!) If that were the case, then AIDS would be confined to that community- but it is not. There is a reason for it, but we may not fully know or understand that reason until Jesus returns. I do think that to some degree, thisscourage is to be the catalyst to bring the churches together and get rid of the stupid divisions between them so that people learn tolerance and how to worktogether.

It that doesn't explain it better, then please tell me what part of my belief you find so fanatical - I really am curious because perhaps I'm missingsomething. Thanks.