Jump to content

Is U2 Pro-Evolution?


Recommended Posts

Tracy, what I said, or at least meant, and I apologize for the misunderstanding, is that the schematic--the shape, so to speak--of your "reasoning,"mirrors that of a religious fanatic.

 

If we were to sit down, and using the tools of Logic as a mathematical discipline (did you know that it is a mathematical discipline?)--if we were to use thosetools to draw/map-out your argumentation, you would see that it does, in fact, mirror the schematic of a religious fanatic-because, you are arguing atautology, which is what fanatics also do.

 

This is not to say that you ARE a fanatic--I have no idea what you would actually do if you felt your spiritual back was against a wall.

 

But, you have to acknowledge that you do, in fact, think in tautologies. No getting around that. And, if you are unable to break out of that, then your optionsare very limited if things were really to "come down to a line" for you.

 

I respect your right to hold your views. I do not, however, respect the views themselves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, frankly, if you are willing deny humanity the ability to improve upon itself on the grounds of "god" and its design, then I have little faithyou would act reasonably or with compassion should things ever "come down to a line" for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Soda wrote:

zootrabant wrote:

But in the case of theory of evolution, all this work is to see if our ancestors were apes or not.

That's all the theory evolution explains? Wow, you're right... it's really a trivial matter. I wonder why anyone bothers with it? Why are scientists so up in arms about it? Come to think of it. Why are religious fundamentalists so upset about it? It's not like the theory of evolution informs:

 

1. Farming

2. Medicine

3. Zoology

and

4. Anthropology

 

It's not like the theory of evolutions has HELPED us in any tangible way. Or has even helped us to understand the world better. It really should be called "The Ape to Man" theory. It would be less confusing for all of us. Especially for you.

 

Edit to add: My post above is obviously sarcastic.

In no time I critically the progress of science or scientific method. I depend of this to make my college project, for example. If you read the beginning of my previous post you will understand that. No doubt science will ever bring some benefits and progress for humanity. Even when for so horrific objectives as the experiments that occurred in the Holocaust, such as for idiots objectives (this is a personal opinion) as the theory of evolution, what I question in the theory of evolution is your central theme and why not to say simple theme that it is trying to prove that man evolved from a monkey. At no time I'm criticizing the progress that I don't know that such advances. So now every time someone ask me about what I think the theory of evolution instead of answer "it is a stupid theory" I will answer "it is a stupid theory but that some progress has brought to humanity"

 

I can not be as aware in sciences as you but I'm sure that at no time lacking in polite or disrespect the views of any of the fellas here in zootopia even if it were completely contrary to mine.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no resolution to be found here folks--it is strictly a question of which paradigms will prevail for a time. And, I am firmly of the mind thatreligious fundamentalism has had its little period of prevailing for awhile. It is time to balance the scales.

Link to post
Share on other sites

zootrabant wrote:

Soda wrote:

zootrabant wrote:

But in the case of theory of evolution, all this work is to see if our ancestors were apes or not.

That's all the theory evolution explains? Wow, you're right... it's really a trivial matter. I wonder why anyone bothers with it? Why are scientists so up in arms about it? Come to think of it. Why are religious fundamentalists so upset about it? It's not like the theory of evolution informs:

 

1. Farming

2. Medicine

3. Zoology

and

4. Anthropology

 

It's not like the theory of evolutions has HELPED us in any tangible way. Or has even helped us to understand the world better. It really should be called "The Ape to Man" theory. It would be less confusing for all of us. Especially for you.

 

Edit to add: My post above is obviously sarcastic.

In no time I critically the progress of science or scientific method. I depend of this to make my college project, for example. If you read the beginning of my previous post you will understand that. No doubt science will ever bring some benefits and progress for humanity. Even when for so horrific objectives as the experiments that occurred in the Holocaust, such as for idiots objectives (this is a personal opinion) as the theory of evolution, what I question in the theory of evolution is your central theme and why not to say simple theme that it is trying to prove that man evolved from a monkey. At no time I'm criticizing the progress that I don't know that such advances. So now every time someone ask me about what I think the theory of evolution instead of answer "it is a stupid theory" I will answer "it is a stupid theory but that some progress has brought to humanity"

 

I can not be as aware in sciences as you but I'm sure that at no time lacking in polite or disrespect the views of any of the fellas here in zootopia even if it were completely contrary to mine.

 

 

 

 

It's not that your views are contrary to mine. It's that they are contrary to reality. I called you ignorant because that is in fact what you areregarding biology and the theory of evolution.

 

You tried to belittle evolution by saying it was "just" a theory. There it was clear that you did not know what the word theory actually means in ascientific context. Hence why I called you ignorant. You think that is rude? Fine. I'm sorry but you can't ask me to automatically RESPECT ignorance.The best I can do is tolerate it or help remove it if someone is genuinely interested in learning. Now, if it's WILLFULL ignorance then you get my explicitdisrespect. And it would be deserved.

 

You want to see more ignorance? You bringing up the Holocaust. That's ignorance of history and science. Darwin's theory of evolution deals with NaturalSelection. The Nazi eugenic experiments were ARTIFICIAL selection. Humans had known of artificial selection for centuries before Darwin. For example, we hadbred dogs and horses for a long time before. Basically the Nazis were trying to do the same except with humans. Laying those horrific acts on the theory ofevolution is IGNORANT because it misunderstands the idea at the heart of Darwin's theory. But you see, your ignorance doesn't stop you from makingclaims like "it is a stupid theory." Your ignorance in fact emboldens you to make statements like that. I suggest you take a step back and educateyourself on this topic before making ignorant statements. Stop making ignorant statements and people will stop calling you ignorant.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Evolution does not aim to explain that man "evolved from a monkey."

Darwin's theory of Evolution seeks to explain the mechanism of natural selection.

It is fundamentalists who boiled it down to this ridiculous man-monkey simplicity while ignoring EVERYTHING else in the theory.

Which, I think, is also what Soda was alluding to.

And which is so very consistent with fundamentalist mind-sets and M.O.s.

Link to post
Share on other sites

zootrabant wrote:

what I question in the theory of evolution is your central theme and why not to say simple theme that it is trying to prove that man evolved from a monkey.

 

Why not say that man evolved from monkey? You are asking why not simplify evolution? Because THAT'S NOT WHAT EVOLUTION IS! The theory of evolutiondoesn't just explain the evolution of one species (homo sapiens). It explains the development of ALL LIVING BEINGS. Including viruses, microbes, andplants.

 

Besides, MAN DID NOT EVOLVE FROM MONKEYS. See? More ignorance on your part. More of the same CRITICAL misunderstanding of the theory you don't hesitate indismissing as "stupid." Monkeys and humans SHARE A COMMON ANCESTOR. That ancestor was a primate (like monkeys and humans themselves!). Again, humansdid NOT, I repeat, DID NOT evolve from monkeys. Monkeys are our cousins, not our ancestors.

Link to post
Share on other sites

LifeFactory wrote:

Evolution does not aim to explain that man "evolved from a monkey."

Darwin's theory of Evolution seeks to explain the mechanism of natural selection.

It is fundamentalists who boiled it down to this ridiculous man-monkey simplicity while ignoring EVERYTHING else in the theory.

Which, I think, is also what Soda was alluding to.

And which is so very consistent with fundamentalist mind-sets and M.O.s.

And to give some credit to some "fundamentalists": there are those who accept the larger theory of evolution, but simply reject that it applies tohumans. Which is a WHOLE different can of worms I was willing to crack the seal on earlier, but no way I am diving further into. Not here. Not a good use oftime....

Link to post
Share on other sites

The theory of evolution is not considered as absolute truth neither by the evolucionists, then as you say that my vision is contrary to reality???? My visionis just contrary of your. It means that anyone who has a contrary view of your or that theory is an ignorant????

 

The best what you can do is "tolerate it or help remove it if someone is genuinely interested in learning"???? Brrrrrrr...... Excuse me Lord!!!!!Don't punish me!!!!! I did not know that I was talking with God.....

 

Well how I'm not God the best what I can do is respect your opinion even if it is contrary to mine.

 

Edit: Had not seen your last post:

 

It means that the theory of evolution says that the monkey is not our grandfather(ancestor) but our cousin ...

 

Sorry but I can't agree with something like this. I can't respect, but I can't agree.

Link to post
Share on other sites

zootrabant wrote:

The theory of evolution is not considered as absolute truth neither by the evolucionists, then as you say that my vision is contrary to reality????

Yes.

 

To be fair, nothing is considered ABSOLUTE truth by scientists. But evolution is a fact. It's a reflection of reality. It's certainly the closestdescription of reality we have. Therefore I'm quite comfortable calling it reality. Unless you want to dispute the concept of "reality" itself,in which case I'll leave you to rant alone.

 

zootrabant wrote:

My vision is just contrary of your.

It is. AND also contrary to reality. Remember, we aren't discussing which is U2's best album (an opinion). We are discussing a scientific theory thatdescribes reality.

 

zootrabant wrote:

It means that anyone who has a contrary view of your or that theory is an ignorant????

 

No.

 

BUT:

1. Not knowing what the word theory means in a scientifc context

2. Not understanding what the theory of evolution explains (still think we evolved from monkeys?)

3. Not knowing the difference between artificial and natural selection

 

Well, all of those together point to ignorance on the subject at hand.

 

zootrabant wrote:

Don't punish me!!!!! I did not know that I was talking with God.....

 

You aren't.

 

zootrabant wrote:

Well how I'm not God the best what I can do is respect your opinion even if it is contrary to mine.

This is what you don't understand. Evolution is NOT merely an opinion. It's an established FACT. There is no opinion here to respect or disrespect. Youcan choose to respect a fact, but a fact doesn't depend on your respect to be true. That you still try to paint evolution as merely an opinion after it hasbeen explained to you that Evolution is a fact points to something else. Willful ignorance? Delusion?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...