On Trial in Burma....Again :-(

censoredally

Oh, this ugly backwardness is never going to end! :-(

Editorial From the Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/15/AR2009051503388.html

On Trial in Burma

Aung San Suu Kyi faces a new prison sentence.

BIZARRE AND contemptible legal charges brought against Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who is dueto be tried in Yangon on Monday, have produced a predictable but justified storm of outrage from Western democracies and the United Nations. Everyone from theBritish prime minister to Bono has condemned the prosecution of the Nobel Peace Prize laureate and demanded her release. Secretary of State Hillary RodhamClinton, who has muted American outspokenness about human rights in several other countries and who previously ordered a review of U.S. sanctions againstBurma, said she was "deeply troubled" by the "baseless" case.

Just as predictable, unfortunately, has been the relative silence of Burma's neighbors. Singapore andIndonesia -- the latter a strengthening democracy -- questioned the charges and called for Aung San Suu Kyi's release, as did Japan. But the countries onwhich Burma relies most -- China, India, Thailand and other members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations -- had little or nothing to say. Thatprobably means Burma's ruling generals will feel free to go forward with a trial that could produce a new, five-year prison sentence for the 63-year-olddissident, who has been under house arrest for the past six years.

The charges stem from a strange incident last week in which a troubled, 53-year-old American tourist swamacross the lake next to Aung San Suu Kyi's house and pleaded with her to be allowed to stay overnight. She agreed -- thus exposing herself to charges ofviolating the conditions of her home detention. The intrusion by American John William Yettaw, who has also been charged, proved convenient for the regime;Aung San Suu Kyi's lawyers said the term of her home detention was due to expire later this month. A new prison sentence could ensure that she plays norole in planned elections next year, which are meant to institutionalize military rule.

Such a sentence, if it comes, should inform the Obama administration's ongoing review. Humanitarianorganizations have been heavily lobbying for a change of policy, arguing that the regime is becoming more open to Western aid and influence, and that thecurrent strategy of tough sanctions hasn't worked. Yet the renewed persecution of this brave and ailing woman -- whose party won the last fair election 19years ago -- shows that the generals have no interest in making meaningful concessions to Burma's long-suffering people or to the West. If they did, theywould use Monday's court session to drop all charges against Mr. Yettaw and Aung San Suu Kyi and allow them both to return home free

Didn't I just read on breaking news she will not be allowed representation, no attorney will be allowed. I can't remember if she fired them or justdecided to go it alone. I only caught a glimpse of it. It just keeps going on and on. *wahine thinks it's so screwed up*

I'm not sure about this, Wahine. Have not read any news on this today. But, Debbie in the Hearts and Minds folder down south, has a good thread keepingthings updated, including links, dates, etc for ways for people to participate in actions, protests, etc. I had hoped she would share that info up here forthose who do not have memberships. Go check her thread out!

The situation is simply unacceptable.