The Complete U2 is now upgradable

tingly

• Subscriber

The Complete U2 is back on US itunes at least, but only to upgrade original copies to 256kbps from the original 128 and with DRM stripped. They cut the usualupgrade price from 30 to 10 cents per song, $45 total. It gives a choice between keeping a copy of the 128/DRM original and having it automatically moved totrash.

• 1 month later...

There were some issues with this but apparently they have been fixed. At first I tried upgrading but got an error message stating the upgrade was not availablein the US iTunes store. However, there have been reports of success now so I'll try it out tonight and see how it goes.

• Subscriber

I had been struggling for several weeks getting error messages & tech support was working with me. Finally, on the4th Of July I was successful with the upgrade.

You know what? I've got a huge pile of U2 music--on vinyl, CD, tape--and I've never had to pay to have it "upgraded" or risk losing myinvestment.

Can you tell I don't own an iPod?

What a rip-off. How long will fans be forced to buy new hardware and pay for future "upgrades" to keep their initial investment from fading intooblivion?

-- eaplatt

• Subscriber

eaplatt wrote:

I've never had to pay to have it "upgraded" or risk losing my investment.

It's the digital music library on the computer/home music system that matters to me more than the iPod. It stillblows my mind that I can maintain my entire music collection on something no bigger than a paperback book (and it is backed up 3 times).

Huge pile on my end as well. I am slowly making vinyl transfers of material that's not available digitally. Slowlyis the operative word as it is a major time sink. But my analog stuff is all eventually going by the wayside &/or Ebay.

The Complete U2 does contain material that was never officially released.

Now of course there's the remastered material surfacing that does indeed have better sound.

No duplicates (upgrades) amongst your vinyl > tapes > CDs???

eaplatt wrote:

You know what? I've got a huge pile of U2 music--on vinyl, CD, tape--and I've never had to pay to have it "upgraded" or risk losing my investment.

What a rip-off. How long will fans be forced to buy new hardware and pay for future "upgrades" to keep their initial investment from fading into oblivion?

-- eaplatt

Physical media doesn't last forever. Tapes and vynil WILL degrade. CDs will degrade too just differently and in an all or nothing fashion. The safest wayto store music is in ones and zeros on several hard drives. As long as the music is not DRM laced you'll be ok for a very long time and will benefit fromall the advantages Cary mentioned (portability etc.). Which is why I was excited to free my digital U2 collection of DRM. Now I only have a handful of DRMlaced tracks in my library while I have about 10,000 songs or more that I will be able to play for a looong time on any computer.

As Cary said, the iPods will come and go. But the information is there on your computer hard drive (backed up of course). Not to mention that I have severalfriends all over the world in bands that only release digitally now. It's very convenient to get their stuff immediately when it comes out.

Cary wrote:

eaplatt wrote:

I've never had to pay to have it "upgraded" or risk losing my investment.

It's the digital music library on the computer/home music system that matters to me more than the iPod. It still blows my mind that I can maintain my entire music collection on something no bigger than a paperback book (and it is backed up 3 times).

Huge pile on my end as well. I am slowly making vinyl transfers of material that's not available digitally. Slowly is the operative word as it is a major time sink. But my analog stuff is all eventually going by the wayside &/or Ebay.

The Complete U2 does contain material that was never officially released.

Now of course there's the remastered material surfacing that does indeed have better sound.

No duplicates (upgrades) amongst your vinyl > tapes > CDs???

Plenty of duplicates - I've collected U2 for years now, though I will admit to not having bought much in recent years, least of all the remastered discs,which seem to have been snubbed by both fans and neo-fans alike. Collectors don't like faux/phony "collectibles" - we're the sort of folkswho'll buy another copy of "October" on vinyl if it's a Japanese promo copy, if the obi is stillattached, and the price is reasonable. The only remastered disc I might buy--when I have a few $$ and maybe after U2finally get their lazy arses out here and play to their long-long-suffering fans in my neck of the woods--OK, maybe I'll buy "October,"if I can find a used copy, (at a reasonable price) because my old CD of it seems to have disappeared. Hmmm.

As for digital music: There are pros and cons, as usual, but I've worked around computers long enough to know that both hardware and software becomesobsolete, fast fast fast. Systems and software that I worked with maybe ten years ago--never mind 20+ years ago, anyone remember Wang?--are now fossils. Butvinyl still plays, and so long as I can keep a CD player alive, so will the CDs. (Old stuff on tape...will definitely have to create fresh hard copies in adifferent format, yeah.)

There's something to be said about hard copies--analog stuff, if you will. Maybe it's just my frustrated inner librarian speaking here. But...hmmmm....how perishable can digital media really be? Howzabout either of us trying to find our old posts on U2.com from, oh, a year or two ago? Nope. Plug got pulled. If we make backups of material off this site, how can we be sure a disc or flash drive or whatnot will be readable even a few years down theroad?

As for the "Complete U2" software bundle--I recall skimming over the list of songs, and there were maybe a few that I didn't have. Could countthem on the fingers of one hand. Weren't there some unreleased songs from the Sun Studio sessions in 1987? Seem to recall that being part of the deal(and I'm too lazy right now to go futz around on iTunes!) But I've had a bootleg tape of the Sun sessions for 20+ years now; it's one of therarities I do want to copy to a CDR (or, hell, custom vinyl!) to preserve it.

In general, I'm not easily impressed, by technology, music, anything. And being stuck here in San Francisco, I've seen the whole computer/digitialindustry evolve, and trust me, it's not cool and trendy and progressive or pretty.

Oh,which reminds me: We all hate Blackberry to death, right?

-- eaplatt

eaplatt wrote:

But...hmmmm....how perishable can digital media really be? Howzabout either of us trying to find our old posts on U2.com from, oh, a year or two ago? Nope. Plug got pulled. If we make backups of material off this site, how can we be sure a disc or flash drive or whatnot will be readable even a few years down the road?

We can't. But that's because the demand to revisit those old posts is close to zero. The demand to be able to play mp3s in 10 years will be very high.MP3s have reached and have gone beyond critical mass. Unlike say "WANG" which, no, I don't remember it. MP3 support is trivial to achieve,whether it be with dedicated hardware or a software application. If enough people want it, they'll get it. Software becomes obsolete not just becauseit's good for software developers' pockets, but also because there is enough demand from the public to "move on." See for example the failureof Vista. Just because software and hardware developers want to make something obsolete doesn't mean they can do it arbitrarily.