U2 last night at Shepherds Bush

Talya

I rarely post here (think I might've posted a couple of times last tour!!). A detailed review is in the news section, but I just wanted to post mypersonal experience last night.

What a fabulous surprise I had when I went to see one of my all-time favourite singer/songwriters Yusuf (Cat Stevens) perform. Baaba Maal had performed andwas invited back onto the stage for an encore by the compere (which of itself was really odd since the audience were really getting excited to see Yusuf). I'm vertically challenged, and although I was around 6th row back on the Edge's side, it took a while for me to see the magnitude of the situation!!! Baaba Maal began singing "One" and suddenly I saw Bono appear - as I kept looking onstage to figure out who was playing instruments, I began seeingall members of U2 - it wasn't an apparition (LOL), it really was all band members!!! I, and all around me were looking at each other with "wow"expressions of amazement, disbelief and joy, it was a very precious time, and then they launched into "Vertigo", I was so overjoyed!!! Tried takinga few photos, but using the zoom with my arms above my head didn't work too well. I took one photo of the entire band, not a great photo, but a fabulousmemento of a truly magical evening (there's some amazing photos at http://www.urbanimage.tv/island50/cat.php)

P1000629.jpg

I'm really........... really................ REALLY looking forward to seeing U2 in Sheffield and 2nd night Wembley now!!!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your eyewitness account of this event & for your pic. Very cool for you!

Very honestly, had I been in London I would have joined you there as Baaba Maal & Yusuf Islam are two of my all-time fav musicians. (also a bit partial toU2 - smile)

Here is a bit more about last night & two of my fav pics from the event:

The band took to the stage at the O2 Academy Shepherds Bush, joining African artistBaabaMaal just after he played his set as part of the Island Life gigs which are taking place at the venue this week to celebratethe 50th anniversary of the acts' label Island Records.

Having played a full set with his band, Maal returned to the stage kicking off his version of Irish band's 'One'before the full U2 line-up joined inacoustically.

Praising Maal's "nobility", Bono declared he was "the spark of Africa", before the pair slipped intoa short version of Bob Marley's 'FeelAlright' - another Island Records artist.

The U2 frontman then declared"We've got one more in us", before his band launched into 'Vertigo', thanking their former recordlabel at the songs climax.

DSC_8228.jpg

DSC_8480.jpg

love this one roll.gif

Thanks for your eyewitness account of this event & for your pic. Very cool for you!

Very honestly, had I been in London I would have joined you there as Baaba Maal & Yusuf Islam are two of my all-time fav musicians. (also a bit partial toU2 - smile)

The band took to the stage at the O2 Academy Shepherds Bush, joining African artistBaabaMaal just after he played his set as part of the Island Life gigs which are taking place at the venue this week to celebratethe 50th anniversary of the acts' label Island Records.

Having played a full set with his band, Maal returned to the stage kicking off his version of Irish band's 'One'before the full U2 line-up joined inacoustically.

Praising Maal's "nobility", Bono declared he was "the spark of Africa", before the pair slipped intoa short version of Bob Marley's 'FeelAlright' - another Island Records artist.

The U2 frontman then declared"We've got one more in us", before his band launched into 'Vertigo', thanking their former recordlabel at the songs climax.

DSC_8228.jpg

DSC_8480.jpg

love this one roll.gif

DSC_8228.jpg

DSC_8480.jpg

love this one roll.gif

DSC_8228.jpg

DSC_8480.jpg

love this one roll.gif

DSC_8228.jpg

DSC_8480.jpg

love this one roll.gif